Carucci not sold on JP

Tom

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is anybody sold on him that he can produce as a NFL QB in 2006? If you are sold on this then I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sale ypu as well.

The good thing about this is that it is going to be settled on the field. it strikes me as silly to either declare him a definite bust or to declare him a definite SB quality QB at this point.

Folks can obviously have reasonable opinions about whether they think he can step up this year, but none of these opihnions are stone cold locks and I suspect he will be a much different quality QB at the end of the year than at the beginning.

what's wrong with that? why are you so pissed at carucci for saying that?

I'm not sold on JP either. Anyone that IS sold on JP is looking at the situation with rose-colored glasses. The kid hasn't proven *anything*, except that he's willing to work. You'd have no business being 'sold' on him. People aren't sold yet on Philip Rivers, or Smith in Frisco or the young kid in Green Bay. JP has bad numbers and a losing record and frustrated a lot of his teammates. So how can anybody be 'sold' on him?

Just not enough data.

I'm not sold on JP either. Anyone that IS sold on JP is looking at the situation with rose-colored glasses. The kid hasn't proven *anything*, except that he's willing to work.  You'd have no business being 'sold' on him. People aren't sold yet on Philip Rivers, or Smith in Frisco or the young kid in Green Bay. JP has bad numbers and a losing record and frustrated a lot of his teammates. So how can anybody be 'sold' on him?

Just not enough data.

606423[/snapback]

It is a stupid comment by Carucci for many reasons. It infers the Bills need to focus on the QB position. They love saying all of this crap on radio and TV about most teams as if there was one postion on the field. All it proves is that these radio shows are worthless.

Without real comment about either JP (entering his 3rd year so conclusions are impossible in either direction) or KH (decent but won't ever be great) it is clear the Bills have larger needs. They could get Elway in his prime for the vet minimum and still have zero chance unless their other problems are fixed. I hope/trust Marv will try to do this. On the radio however it will all be about the QB as usual.

I certainly is easy for Carucci or anyone to say they aren't sold on him. If you state you're not sold on any starting QB in the NFL, you'll likely be right about 75% of the time, and will look real smart. With the low rate of QB's becoming sucesses, it's easy to state the person will be a failure.

I'm not sold on JP either. Anyone that IS sold on JP is looking at the situation with rose-colored glasses. The kid hasn't proven *anything*, except that he's willing to work.  You'd have no business being 'sold' on him. People aren't sold yet on Philip Rivers, or Smith in Frisco or the young kid in Green Bay. JP has bad numbers and a losing record and frustrated a lot of his teammates. So how can anybody be 'sold' on him?

Just not enough data.

606423[/snapback]

Depends on the definition. It's hard to be "sold" on hardly any quarterbacks in the league. Not many if any more than 10. Are you sold on Chad Pennington? Or even Michael Vick? Or Drew Brees? Daunte Culpepper? Kerry Collins? Kurt Warner? David Carr? Kyle Boller? Chris Simms? Joey Harrington? Gus Frerotte?

Depends on the definition. It's hard to be "sold" on hardly any quarterbacks in the league. Not many if any more than 10. Are you sold on Chad Pennington? Or even Michael Vick? Or Drew Brees? Daunte Culpepper? Kerry Collins? Kurt Warner? David Carr? Kyle Boller? Chris Simms? Joey Harrington? Gus Frerotte?

606428[/snapback]

Just give me a winning record, and a minimum 60% completion rate. It would be nice to see a guy having won at least one game largely on his own. THEN I'm "sold" on a quarterback. Until then, it doesn't matter if you have a first round pick tough kid from Venice Ca or a journeyman backup. You still HAVE QUESTIONS at that position, and that's all Carucci is saying there.

I agree 100%, cuz it's true.

I'd also agree that it's not our #1 priority. But there WiLL be a new third QB next year and I wouldn't be surprised to see the new admin pick a prospect on the second day of the draft.

Mularkey made a big mistake handing the team over to Losman. He subsequently lost the team, then quit on the team. It'll be fun rooting against him.

Just give me a winning record, and a minimum 60% completion rate. It would be nice to see a guy having won at least one game largely on his own. THEN I'm "sold" on a quarterback.

Mularkey made a big mistake handing the team over to Losman. He subsequently lost the team, then quit on the team. It'll be fun rooting against him.

606439[/snapback]

Kansas City.

Mularkey's much bigger mistake was how he handled JP in the job, not how he handed JP the job.

Are you sold on Chad Pennington? No. But I never was and now it seems like his teamates are starting to bail on him also. Chad=noodle arm.

Or even Michael Vick? Tee hee, No.

Or Drew Brees? Yes. A solid player at the position that I would be happy to have.

Daunte Culpepper? Yes. Although there is a train wreck carnival atmosphere aura to him, yes.

Kerry Collins? No. Never was sold on him and see him as just another Holcomb at best.

Kurt Warner? No. Back in the day, yes. But today, no. His history is the best of what's left of him.

David Carr? Yes if he has any marbles left.

Kyle Boller? No. See Kerry Collins.

Chris Simms? Interests me. Although I don't know that he will be effective until the twighlight of his carreer when he will suddenly get it and have three standout years.

Joey Harrington? No. Proven inadequate.

Gus Frerotte? Not anyone at this point that I want to build around.

606428[/snapback]

What else you got? :P

Please don't take away blame from JP in that game.

Losman had a great first half, but like the rest of the team, he completely dissapeared in the second half.

That loss was just as much his fault as it was anybody else's on the team.

606462[/snapback]

Obviously, you mean except Moulds, who by taking himself out changed the entire defense played against us, took Evans out of the game with him, hurt the running game, and completely sabotaged the game plan and game. Other than that, yeah, JP didn't play well the second half.

Obviously, you mean except Moulds, who by taking himself out changed the entire defense played against us, took Evans out of the game with him, hurt the running game, and completely sabotaged the game plan and game. Other than that, yeah, JP didn't play well the second half.

Exactly. I won't say JP was perfect, but to blow a 20-point lead in a single quarter is pathetic. And calling ANYTHING but running plays to eat up the clock, after Moulds took the passing game with him, is stupidity.

I'd agree with that.

606475[/snapback]

I think Mularkey was just as on board with it, IMO, when it happened. And again I am convinced that both TD and MM based that decision not on Losman and thinking he was ready but rather 95% on the fact that Drew was not the future and the team had gone as far as they could with him. And they were probably right. And if Drew would have come up strong in the Pittsburgh game, he may still to this day be our quarterback. Not that he SHOULD be, but I would bet anything the elevation of Losman was a denouncing of Bledsoe 20 times more than it was a pronouncing of Losman.

On NFL Radio.....  Says they need to address the QB position.

Not that Vic is ultimate authority but its depressing none the less...

606400[/snapback]

I've always liked reading Carucci's columns, and I think he's one of the most articulate and insightful sports writers around. Between Carucci and Van Miller . . .