free agent talk

Blue Chipper

Ive been reading different sites and seeing who is out nthere and who is likely to get the franchise tag.

Most folks feel that Hutchinson (hawks) and Bentley (saints) will get the tag. So to sign them will cost us a pick even though they would upgrade our line.

Chris Hope is an interesting player. He is young, 25, talented and played on the superbowl champs so has the experience. Plus he brings it on every down. He made 656,000 last yr. This might be a player to target for our seconday which has two old safety starters in Milloy and Vincent.

Abraham (jets) will not be back in NY. CBS is reporting that he could be tagged then traded to SD for Rivers. He is young 28 and has 20 sacks over the past 2 seasons. He is the best DE out there and far better than both of our ends. However we probably should address our d tackles before we think about upgrading our ends. There are few tackles out there in FA so this must be done through the draft.

I'm telling you...Kevin Shaffer. SIGN THIS GUY. He's young, he's flashed dominance at the critical LT spot...and he did so while trying to keep up with Mike Vick breaking coverage and allowing OLBs to key in on him. Full starter the last 2 and a half years. Shaffer is an up and comer in the NFL, would make a great addition to the Bills.

I'm telling you...Kevin Shaffer.  SIGN THIS GUY.  He's young, he's flashed dominance at the critical LT spot...and he did so while trying to keep up with Mike Vick breaking coverage and allowing OLBs to key in on him.  Full starter the last 2 and a half years.  Shaffer is an up and comer in the NFL, would make a great addition to the Bills.

605866[/snapback]

I'm with you all the way man..

Ive been reading different sites and seeing who is out nthere and who is likely to get the franchise tag.

Most folks feel that Hutchinson (hawks) and Bentley (saints) will get the tag. So to sign them will cost us a pick even though they would upgrade our line.

Chris Hope is an interesting player. He is young, 25, talented and played on the superbowl champs so has the experience. Plus he brings it on every down. He made 656,000 last yr. This might be a player to target for our seconday which has two old safety starters in Milloy and Vincent.

Abraham (jets) will not be back in NY. CBS is reporting that he could be tagged then traded to SD for Rivers. He is young 28 and has 20 sacks over the past 2 seasons. He is the best DE out there and far better than both of our ends. However we probably should address our d tackles before we think about upgrading our ends. There are few tackles out there in FA so this must be done through the draft.

605848[/snapback]

both the hawks and saints are going to tie up over 7M in cap space on one interior lineman? don't see it happening in bentley's case, and not likely in hutch's case either.......that is too much money to devote to a guard or a center.......tackle you can justify, but not those two positions.......

if most folks feel that those two guys will get the tag then most folks are wrong.......

I'm telling you...Kevin Shaffer.  SIGN THIS GUY.  He's young, he's flashed dominance at the critical LT spot...and he did so while trying to keep up with Mike Vick breaking coverage and allowing OLBs to key in on him.  Full starter the last 2 and a half years.  Shaffer is an up and comer in the NFL, would make a great addition to the Bills.

605866[/snapback]

so then why wouldnt atlanta sign him?

so then why wouldnt atlanta sign him?

605899[/snapback]

Excellent point. If he's that good (and young + up-&-coming), Falcons will fork up the $$$ to keep him. If they don't, more than likely he's not worth the money he's asking for (see Jonas Jennings).

605848[/snapback]

I think we have our next starting FS on the roster in Rahard Baker. My opinion anyways.

everyone and their kid sister keeps stating that the Jets will tag Abraham and then trade him. This looks impossible to me for two reasons:

1.) The Jets are currently $29 million over the cap - not counting Abraham. A tag on Abe will cost upwards of $9 mil. The Jets are making noise about "forcing" Martin, Mawai, and Pennington to take huge cuts or be released. I think this still keeps them over the cap not to mention the $9 mil + they would have to be under to make room for Abraham. Plus, Pennington would be an idiot to accept a pay cut. He should pocket the bonus money he has already and dare the Jets to release him. As to Martin and Mawai? I guess they will be cut. If Mawai passes a physical...uh, yeh, I'd sign him. Yup.

2.) Trade him? (Abraham) See #1 What team will trade for a player destined to be released?

Many Bills fans are talking about the Bills signing this guy once he's free (or haha trading for him (see #1 above)) This guy refuses to play hurt , gets "hurt" all the time and wants more money than God. I'll pass thank you.

Bills should focus on offensive linemen in FA. Draft either Haloti Ngata (DT) or Vernon Davis (TE) in the 1st round then grab more linemen in rounds 2 and 3.

Give JP time to throw and a big TE to throw to plus Evans and Parrish streaking downfield, and you will see points going up my friends.

Go Bills!

-RnJ

Excellent point. If he's that good (and young + up-&-coming), Falcons will fork up the $$$ to keep him. If they don't, more than likely he's not worth the money he's asking for (see Jonas Jennings).

605906[/snapback]

As Zac said, the Falcons have some salary cap issues to deal with. Plus, I think Shaffer will be interested in testing the market, considering how little love the Falcons management seems to give any player on their team not named "Vick".

I'm hoping if he makes it to free agency, the Bills swoop in and sign him the first week. Thats an automatic upgrade right there. In Jim McNally's Q&A today, he mentioned that they've already targeted a couple of FA O-Lineman that they like. I'll keep my fingers crossed Shaffer is on that list.

605866[/snapback]

How about Jeff Backus, the Tackle from the Lions?

How about Jeff Backus, the Tackle from the Lions?

606052[/snapback]

PFW print said that the Lions want to re-sign him (top priority) & that Backus wasn't pleased with the Detroit coaches last year... don't think he'll be coming here.

As Zac said, the Falcons have some salary cap issues to deal with.  Plus, I think Shaffer will be interested in testing the market, considering how little love the Falcons management seems to give any player on their team not named "Vick".

I'm hoping if he makes it to free agency, the Bills swoop in and sign him the first week.  Thats an automatic upgrade right there.  In Jim McNally's Q&A today, he mentioned that they've already targeted a couple of FA O-Lineman that they like.  I'll keep my fingers crossed Shaffer is on that list.

605983[/snapback]

If I had salary cap issues to deal with, I'd be trimming older players with downside & keeping younger players with upside... but that's just me.

Speaking of older players though, I'd like to see the Bills get Jeff Hartings after the Steelers let him go, I think he's still got a few good years left in him.

I believe we already have someone on the roster to man the critical LT spot right now, Jason Peters. I'd like the interior worked on and Williams restructured or draft someone to play there(on the right). Love the Hartings option if it happens as well.

Guest BackInDaDay
Many Bills fans are talking about the Bills signing this guy once he's free (or haha trading for him (see #1 above)) This guy refuses to play hurt , gets "hurt" all the time and wants more money than God. I'll pass thank you.

605944[/snapback]

Right. While an injured Pennington was putting his career on the line by playing through his pain, Abraham sat and watched, not wanting to diminish his market value. :P As MadDog Russo pointed out when he heard some Jet players were disrespecting their QB, Pennington's injury required surgery, Abraham's didn't!

Abraham is not Bills material.

Bills should focus on offensive linemen in FA. Draft either Haloti Ngata (DT) or Vernon Davis (TE) in the 1st round then grab more linemen in rounds 2 and 3.

605944[/snapback]

YES. YES. YES. Draft good D prosspects. Sign very good O FAs.

both the hawks and saints are going to tie up over 7M in cap space on one interior lineman? don't see it happening in bentley's case, and not likely in hutch's case either.......that is too much money to devote to a guard or a center.......tackle you can justify, but not those two positions.......

if most folks feel that those two guys will get the tag then most folks are wrong.......

605898[/snapback]

The End Times are surely upon us... :P

... because I actually agree with d_wag about something. Think the actual number is $6.98 million, but that's still one big boatload of $$$ .

correct me if I am wrong, but don't the falcons run a zone blocking scheme? and it's not like he is blocking Bledsoes blind side. Kevin Shaffer was the left tackle for a left handed QB right, and a team that ran the ball, alot. not saying I wouldn't consider him, just not that high on my list.

I'd put Bentley tops on my list

correct me if I am wrong, but don't the falcons run a zone blocking scheme?  and it's not like he is blocking Bledsoes blind side.  Kevin Shaffer was the left tackle for a left handed QB right, and a team that ran the ball, alot.  not saying I wouldn't consider him, just not that high on my list.

I'd put Bentley tops on my list

606476[/snapback]

Agreed. Plus Vick will make bad pass protection look better.

Agreed.  Plus Vick will make bad pass protection look better.

606480[/snapback]

I'd say the exact opposite...Vick constantly breaks down protection by running around like a crazy man back there...even when he's not booking it for extra yardage, he's still making it tough as hell for his O-Line to know where he is and block effectively. I think the fact that Kevin Shaffer has done so well is a testament to how solid he is as a football player.

If the Bills pass on a guy like Shaffer, I'll be disappointed. He's young, he has experience, and he's done extremely well. And the whole Bentley thing is a pipe-dream, I guarantee you the Saints will franchise him. Besides, say a miracle of God happens and the Saints let him hit FA...why on Earth would he ever want to come to Buffalo? And dont say money because no matter where he goes he'll get oodles of cash. I can think of 20 NFL teams right now, some with a lot more cap space than we have and are much better teams who need interior O-Lineman like Bentley. He's not coming to Buffalo. Neither is Steve Hutchinson for that matter, but there are a lot of good O-Line FAs out there if you dont limit your options.

And the whole Bentley thing is a pipe-dream, I guarantee you the Saints will franchise him. 

Sure about that? A local sportswriter isn't:

Baton Rouge Advocate: Bentley expects to test free agency

DETROIT — New Orleans Saints center LeCharles Bentley, who is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent next month, said Wednesday the team has indicated it will allow him to test the open market.

Bentley, in town to participate in a clinic held in association with a Kids’ Day event at the NFL Experience, said Saints General Manager Mickey Loomis told him he would get a chance to see what free agency holds.

“Mickey told me he was going to let me test the market,” Bentley said.

Loomis, however, said the organization hasn’t made any personnel decisions because new coach Sean Payton has been on the job less than two weeks and is still working on putting together a coaching staff.