free agent talk

Blue Chipper

Sure about that? A local sportswriter isn't:

Baton Rouge Advocate: Bentley expects to test free agency

606508[/snapback]

I read that too. I also heard on ESPNews yesterday afternoon that they were going to hit him with the tag so they could get something rather than nothing. Now granted this from John Clayton, but still...I think he's right.

Like I said, even if he does make it to FA, he wont be coming here. I find it funny how fans of every NFL team who needs O-Line help has him listed as the #1 FA priority. Why would he come to Buffalo when he can have more cash and be with a better team?

I read that too.  I also heard on ESPNews yesterday afternoon that they were going to hit him with the tag so they could get something rather than nothing.  Now granted this from John Clayton, but still...I think he's right.

Like I said, even if he does make it to FA, he wont be coming here.  I find it funny how fans of every NFL team who needs O-Line help has him listed as the #1 FA priority.  Why would he come to Buffalo when he can have more cash and be with a better team?

You think the Bills can't pay him? And the word is he'd like to play for Cleveland, because it's his hometown. Are the Browns a "better" team, not just compared to the Bills, but the rest of the league?

You think the Bills can't pay him?  And the word is he'd like to play for Cleveland, because it's his hometown.  Are the Browns a "better" team, not just compared to the Bills, but the rest of the league?

606512[/snapback]

Its not a matter if the Bills can pay him, we're 10 million under...we got the cash. But we also have SO many other holes I doubt that Marv and Company will throw the cash at him needed to get a signing.

And yes, at this point the Browns are a better team then us. Plus they are 31 MILLION under the cap coming into this season. They can easily push him right out of our price range.

And honestly, I'd hate to see Bentley come here because he'd more than likely be our only FA signing. A new center will not save this O-Line, no matter how good he is. I'm not debating that Bentley isnt one of the best young O-Lineman in the NFL, I'm just saying its completely unreaslistic to think he'd even give Buffalo the time of day considering how many of the much better teams will be gunning for him.

Its not a matter if the Bills can pay him, we're 10 million under...we got the cash.  But we also have SO many other holes I doubt that Marv and Company will throw the cash at him needed to get a signing. 

And yes, at this point the Browns are a better team then us.  Plus they are 31 MILLION under the cap coming into this season.  They can easily push him right out of our price range.

And honestly, I'd hate to see Bentley come here because he'd more than likely be our only FA signing.  A new center will not save this O-Line, no matter how good he is.  I'm not debating that Bentley isnt one of the best young O-Lineman in the NFL, I'm just saying its completely unreaslistic to think he'd even give Buffalo the time of day considering how many of the much better teams will be gunning for him.

There is a difference between cap hit and average salary. Say the Bills sign him for 6-years, $36M, with a $12M signing bonus. The structure of it will most likely be a small base salary in the first year ($600K-$1M), which would make the cap hit for 2006 $3M. And if the Bills release just Mike Williams, they'll save $4.9M, which will easily cover the first year cap hit for Bentley.

And no the Browns aren't a better team than the Bills, and they aren't one of the better teams in the NFL. Money talks, and we'll see how much Crennel is willing to pony-up, being that he comes from the Pats, who never paid top-dollar.

There is a difference between cap hit and average salary.  Say the Bills sign him for 6-years, $36M, with a $12M signing bonus.  The structure of it will most likely be a small base salary in the first year ($600K-$1M), which would make the cap hit for 2006 $3M.  And if the Bills release just Mike Williams, they'll save $4.9M, which will easily cover the first year cap hit for Bentley.

And no the Browns aren't a better team than the Bills, and they aren't one of the better teams in the NFL.  Money talks, and we'll see how much Crennel is willing to pony-up, being that he comes from the Pats, who never paid top-dollar.

Well, the Browns did have a better record last season...

BGIM, I'm not debating the idea that Buffalo probably isn't LCB's #1 choice; Levy et al. would have a lot of selling to do to get him here. That said, it would be really cool if a deal does get done somehow.

I also agree with the thought that the Saints would be nuts to let him walk without trying to get SOMETHING for him... but from what I've read/seen, that might be exactly what happens.

Just sayin'.