LOST 2.14 Discussion Thread

UConn James

After Sun getting injured, some of the survivors begin to think that one of the "other survivors" might be one of "The Others." When French woman Danielle Rousseau leads Sayid to a mysterious captive in the jungle, he becomes determined to find out if he is one of the "Others.'' Meanwhile, Sawyer discovers Hurley’s potentially devastating breech of the survivors’ trust and blackmails him into helping track an elusive island creature that won’t leave Sawyer alone.

A Sayid-centric episode.

Sayid is a very very bad man... :doh:

604475[/snapback]

Alright... love the show, but I'm not one of those who goes and studies everything after the show... so, for those that do, I'm waiting the explanation of what the symbols were on the countdown timer... i believe some of them were missles...

Looks like Kate's picture being held by one of the officers. I am sure this was obvious to most, since I don't pick up on anything.

604484[/snapback]

Maybe that was Kate's Dad. He was in the army. Though I didn't see a name on his uniform.

Great episode. I definitely didn't think they'd give us a little taste of the countdown clock running out. That was a cool "HOLY sh--!" moment.

The subplot with the frog didn't do much for me, but the last scene with Sayid and (Darth) Charlie was great.

Alright... love the show, but I'm not one of those who goes and studies everything after the show... so, for those that do, I'm waiting the explanation of what the symbols were on the countdown timer... i believe some of them were missles...

604480[/snapback]

Those symbols are hieroglyphs. There were five, though we were only show the first and the last three. I'm trying to find a translator website. I was able so far to determine that the first symbol represents "S" while the fourth symbol can represent either "T" or "3."

The third symbol resembles a candle, while the last one looks like the letter Y, with the bottom pointing towards the northwest.

604480[/snapback]

They kind of looked like hyroglyphics(?). I remember the bird and the feather-shaped one. I don't have the deciphering book anymore, nor any way to rewatch the ep. So, we know that the countdown, or for ~5 seconds after the countdown, nothing happens and you can still enter the code. Some of them were red drawing on black background, some were vice versa; different from the white/black imagery used so far in it. We'll see if they start experimenting with this.

Looks like Kate's picture being held by one of the officers. I am sure this was obvious to most, since I don't pick up on anything.

604484[/snapback]

Sure looked like Kate. This is the time period where they had the video of Sayid being led in handcuffs that was playing in the recruiting office. I didn't recognize her 'father' but he's only had about 2 minutes of screen time and he was in the Kevlar helmet here. And so, we can establish this time period as 1991, which for some reason, despite all evidence showing this back in the What Kate Did ep, some people were contesting that it was 2003. It's now fact that Kate was on the run for more than 10 years!

-----

To run down, I'd first say this was the best episode this season. It was back to that feeling of 'Where did the time go; that felt like 15 minutes!'

First off, in the side-story, Sawyer getting worked up by the tree frog's noises. It's weird how they write him, and this does go back to last season. One week he's the bad man, and the next he's kind of pathetic, asking, "Will you help me?" Hurley gets caught chowing on a private stash.... Not cool to hoard food, dude. Some tree frog species are poisonous.

Sayid joins the Jack vs. Locke power struggle. Saw that same Jack-ness return when he was holding Locke back from going to the computer. I keep wanting to get a slow-mo of what numbers are flashed one by one when that ticker is going all out, but I have neither the time nor the means to do it.

Sayid's backstory. Again, he says to the captive guy (I forget his name already) that before he learned to torture he was a "good man" --- there's that phrase again --- but that deep w/in there was always a part of him that could become that torturer. Clancy Brown as the CIA-type guy; he was really good in "The Shawshank Redemption." Anywho, I'm trying to think about what the parallels are b/w the main story and the flashback, b/c there's always parallels for each character. I'll have to sleep on it.

That final look the guy gave, you know he's an Other. And Sayid is right --- sometimes you just know something is true; w/o any evidence or anything, you just know. There's a part that does want to believe the captive, like when he was describing the balloon, but that's the thing about the Others; they have detailed preset stories, just like Goodwin with the Peace Corps....

So far, I've gotten that there were 5 characters, that are usually 108.00.

4 of them settled in before the scene was changed. I'm fairly certain on two of them.

The first symbol is of the letter S. And the 4th symbol would be the letter A. Giving us S _ _ A _ .

The rest I'm still foggy on, so I upload my pic of the screen for your help.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-10/857131/Lost-Heiro.jpg

Does anyone think Zeke could be the CIA/Green Beret dude?  Similiar deep voice....

604539[/snapback]

Nope. 'Zeke' is not Clancy Brown. And that's something pretty major that they wouldn't do on this show.

-----

Also, the captive's name is 'Henry Gale.' On a balloon.

Wizard of Oz, anyone?

So far, I've gotten that there were 5 characters, that are usually 108.00.

4 of them settled in before the scene was changed. I'm fairly certain on two of them.

The first symbol is of the letter S. And the 4th symbol would be the letter A. Giving us S _ _ A _ .

The rest I'm still foggy on, so I upload my pic of the screen for your help.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-10/857131/Lost-Heiro.jpg

604505[/snapback]

Hieroglyphs have been translated to S29-Z7-U29-G1-Z6

It is being translated on various forums as "Death Approaches Me", "It dies" and "Die"

Hieroglyphs have been translated to S29-Z7-U29-G1-Z6

It is being translated on various forums as "Death Approaches Me", "It dies" and "Die"

604563[/snapback]

I knew that someone else would do all the hard work while I was sleeping. :doh:

And that is why we share.... Henry Gale was Dorothy's uncle. you know, Uncle Henry.

604593[/snapback]

Reads pretty high on the bullsh-- meter to me. 'Henry' knew exactly what was happening. Notice how he kept asking Sayid personal questions, trying to connect with him? The idea behind that is if you establish a personal rapport with someone, it's harder to hurt them, or whatever. But that line... "My name is Sayid, and I am a torturer!" :doh: And yes, for someone who remembers what the exact weights and percentages of gases in his balloon, that he stuttered/didn't respond to how deep the grave was means he didn't ever dig one. That's not a question the Others would probably prepare for, and he got caught right there.

The closing scene with Sayid talking to Charlie was interesting too. Sayid was doing much the same as the CIA guy was when he showed the video of the sarin attack. That time has lessened fear that the Lostaways should have for the Others. He was talking to Charlie, perhaps, b/c he'd been a near-victim and in how he shot Ethan, is most likely be an ally to Sayid. But also, people are talking to Charlie again (tho, those who are have something gain by doing so); they sure have short memories on who's supposed to be ostracized.....

The first guy in the room with Sayid and Tariq was Kate's dad (the one she always thought was her bioDad--not her bioDad that she axed). Later, he's looking at a pic of Kate when talking to Sayid. Remember too, that Sayid's picture was on the TV when Kate visited her dad at the recruiting office.

Henry Gale is Dorothy's uncle from Wizard of Oz. The professor (the wizard) came to Oz in a hot air balloon. That guy is completely full of crap. Also, Sawyer called the bearded "other" "Zeke"…Zeke is the name of the Cowardly Lion.

Henry Gale is full of stojan. Hes one of the others. When Sayid was told him he knew how to get information, gale had the look of "oh sh-- hes gonna find out who i am", and not a look of pure fear that would be expected from someone thats telling the truth.

I swear tho, the producers better keep the story line with the countdown clock going. They gave us a taste, too little if you ask me, and if they dont touch on ti again for a few months, i'm gonna be pissed.

Frankly, if i was stuck on the island and saw the heirolgyphs, i'd let it run down to try to translate it and find oyu what the !@#$ they mean. Actually, if i was there, i wouldnt even have even bothered pushing the button, i would have let it ru out the first time.

And that was kate's dad in the army transport, with the picture of kate.