Greatest Bills Safety of All Time

bbh10128

Don't know this for sure but my memory is that Jeff Nixon was only good a year at best, and that he may have been leading the league at one point, because he had like three INTs in one game, he may have had six for the year and then got a knee injury. I don't remember him having anywhere near the career or talent as Jerry Butler, who actually did it for a full 2-3 years. I'm not sure Nixon played more than one full season, although he was quite good in 79 or 80. Then he hung around for a couple years after his injury but never regained form.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine is Tony Greene, with Saimes a close second. I always thought Kazoo and Shultz sucked.

603747[/snapback]

I'm goona agree with KTFABD on this one - Greene was a surperior player on a piss poor team - for 9 seasons.

His 101 yard TD INT return on 10/03/76 is still a Bills record. He picked off Tony Adams (???) with 10 seconds left in the fourth quarter as the Bills coasted to a

50-17 win. The Chiefs turned over the ball six times - each TO beacme a Bills TD.

At that time - the smallest crowd in Rich Stadium history was a witness - 51,909

Don't know this for sure but my memory is that Jeff Nixon was only good a year at best, and that he may have been leading the league at one point, because he had like three INTs in one game, he may have had six for the year and then got a knee injury. I don't remember him having anywhere near the career or talent as Jerry Butler, who actually did it for a full 2-3 years. I'm not sure Nixon played more than one full season, although he was quite good in 79 or 80. Then he hung around for a couple years after his injury but never regained form.

606232[/snapback]

Jeff Nixon - 11 picks in his first two seasons

3 picks against Miami (all on Bob Griese) on 9/7/80 - the day the Bills broke the 20-game streak (Bills win 17-7) - He also scored his only NFL TD - a 50 yard return.

Joe Ferguson also threw five Int's that day

1979 16 games - started 4

1980 7 games - started 5 (hurt in game 5 of the season - San Diego)

1981 13 games - started 0 (hurt pre-season in a charity BB game)

Jeff used to be a regular at Bills' alumni events when i still lived there - I believe he still lives in WNY

http://www2.buffalobills.com/news/index.cfm?cont_id=151764

Jeff Nixon - 11 picks in his first two seasons

3 picks against Miami (all on Bob Griese) on 9/7/80 - the day the Bills broke the 20-game streak (Bills win 17-7) - He also scored his only NFL TD - a 50 yard return.

Joe Ferguson also threw five Int's that day

1979  16 games - started 4

1980  7  games - started 5 (hurt in game 5 of the season - San Diego)

1981  13 games - started 0  (hurt pre-season in a charity BB game)

Jeff used to be a regular at Bills' alumni events when i still lived there - I believe he still lives in WNY

http://www2.buffalobills.com/news/index.cfm?cont_id=151764

606236[/snapback]

Well, thanks Bob, there you have it. 11 picks though in two seasons, neither of which were full is pretty darn good. :P

We'll let it go THIS time.  But, watch yer ass!  :P  :P

606251[/snapback]

If the East coast was up - I wouldn't even acknowledge your ass :doh:

You better make draft weekend in the mountains - it's a hoot

Kicking Raider fans' butt is not only fun but easy!! :doh:

Remember what a hard hitter Kurt Schultz used to be. Not saying he was the greatest, but he was always good for one big hit per game.

603663[/snapback]

That hit often being on one of our guys.

I remember a game at the Colts (may have been the one where we knocked out all of their QBs -- Harbaugh, Justin, and the third stringer got beat up too but stayed in), when KS came into the pile a good 2-3 seconds after the play was over and plowed his helmet right into Phil Hansen's back. Hansen turned around with a look of hellfire like he was going to punch the Colt who did it.... then he saw that it was Schultz and did a WTF!?! face.

That's not a raise, that's a downgrade. Bill Simpson was on the downside of his career, and had 6 int in 1980, but the entire secondary led the league. Adv. Freeman.

603966[/snapback]

oh please - you were too busy playing Atari in 1980 to notice.

But Simpson had that interception in the Jets playoff game that preserved a win that would have gone down as one of the worst choke jobs in the NFL playoff history, just adding to the Bills great reputation.

For that one pick, and one pick only, ole Billy Simpson is my favorite

604919[/snapback]

Ha Ha - take THAT X!