Marvs "inferred" plan

Poeticlaw

Watching the video of Marv's interview on the news he stated how to build a team.

Start with the Defensive line and he got all giddy when Ngata's name was mentioned to him when asked if he heard of him.

He will franchise Nate if hes not signed to a deal beacuase corners are important and Jauron wants atleast 3 good ones and corners are hard to get in this game and Marv feels Nate could be taught a few things that would make him better.

They stated they would "like" to keep Moulds. They said they "want" to keep Nate.

In my opinion Moulds fate will be decided on restructuring and how much they need to bring in quality FA and their draft picks. My guess Moulds will be cut-Why would Moulds want to restructure for a team that has a revolving door at QB. The last time he restructure Bledsoe was the QB he did it to help Bledsoe stay with the team.

Then you build he offensive line either through the draft or FA and no comments on the probability of MIke Williams staying with the team even after the reporter stated he is most likely gone there was no rebuttle from Marv.

I must say listening to Marv is inspirational, then the Buzz kill comes out of listening to Jauron. Jauron is going to be harder to listen to the Greg Williams he just to dull which leads me to a question-If i as a fan find him uninspiring how is a team going to find him INSPIRING?

I must say listening to Marv is inspirational, then the Buzz kill comes out of listening to Jauron. Jauron is going to be harder to listen to the Greg Williams he just to dull which leads me to a question-If i as a fan find him uninspiring how is a team going to find him INSPIRING?

602918[/snapback]

Somehow teams managed to find something "inspiring" about Tom Landry, Bill Walsh, heck even Bill Belichick....

Or to pick a quote from Marv:

"Styles of coaching may differ—from bombastic to philosophical. But at the end of the day, any good coach is a teacher."

I am really surprised that anyone gets excited or disappointed by either the way a GM or coach talks, or what they actually say in the off season. I really, seriously, get the impression that most people here would be thrilled with Garrison Keillor as our coach. It matters approximately LESS THAN ZERO if Marv says OL and DL are the top priority. The only thing that matters is whether the guys he puts there, be they first rounders or street free agents, 10 mil or $235,000 players, perform very well. That's it. I guarantee you Marv Levy and Dick Jauron do not think the OL and the DL are more important than TD and MM do. It's obvious to everyone how important those two areas are. And it's foolish to just either use all your money or all your high picks on those players. TD didnt ignore those areas. He failed because the individual and collective choices he made there, between first rounders and third rounders and sixth rounders and name free agents and no name free agents failed him and the team and the coaches and us. That's it.

Moulds would want to restructure because a restructured deal may be a more handsome paycheck than he will receive on the open market.

602941[/snapback]

Kind of what I've been thinking. Exactly what are Moulds' options? Considering his age and stats, he's not likely to get a huge contract offer from some other team, or if he does get someone to overpay, it's going to be some crap team with tons of cap space and a need to sell seats. He may as well see if he can work out a deal with the Bills.

I think he will.

The Bills need him as well. Parrish is never going to be a feature WR, and Evans would get doubled and shut down without a dependable receiver to compliment him. Aiken, Reed, and the rest are role players, nothing more.

Somehow teams managed to find something "inspiring" about Tom Landry, Bill Walsh, heck even Bill Belichick....

Or to pick a quote from Marv:

"Styles of coaching may differ—from bombastic to philosophical. But at the end of the day, any good coach is a teacher."

602937[/snapback]

I know, I see alot of erasers being chucked at at the heads of sleeping players in meetings.

Still, based only on what I have read of course, people seem to want to play for him.

In my opinion Moulds fate will be decided on restructuring and how much they need to bring in quality FA and their draft picks. My guess Moulds will be cut-Why would Moulds want to restructure for a team that has a revolving door at QB. The last time he restructure Bledsoe was the QB he did it to help Bledsoe stay with the team.

602918[/snapback]

actually, moulds had his contract altered AFTER bledsoe had been released last off-season.......

I guarantee you Marv Levy and Dick Jauron do not think the OL and the DL are more important than  TD and MM do. It's obvious to everyone how important those two areas are. And it's foolish to just either use all your money or all your high picks on those players. TD didnt ignore those areas. He failed because the individual and collective choices he made there, between first rounders and third rounders and sixth rounders and name free agents and no name free agents failed him and the team and the coaches and us. That's it.

602951[/snapback]

I'm sure when you posted this you knew someone would disagree. Well, looks like that someone happens to be me.

Some time after the 2004 season had ended, TD said something to the effect that good offensive line play is more a matter of coaching than player talent. He obviously felt he'd found the right position coach in the form of Jim McNally. As his words and actions make clear, he felt he could get away with shortcuts on the OL. Now he's out of a job.

During his five years in Buffalo, TD used two first-day picks on the OL. Of those two picks, one didn't work out, and the other was allowed to walk in free agency. Should TD have matched San Francisco's offer? Of course not. He should have extended Jennings' contract before he hit free agency.

Hopefully, Levy will place a stronger emphasis on finding talented OL than TD did. If there's an offensive lineman with a bright future ahead of him sitting there when our 2nd or 3rd round pick comes up, I don't want the Bills to walk away with some linebacker or TE or RB. They need to take the OL.

I'm sure when you posted this you knew someone would disagree. Well, looks like that someone happens to be me.

Some time after the 2004 season had ended, TD said something to the effect that good offensive line play is more a matter of coaching than player talent. He obviously felt he'd found the right position coach in the form of Jim McNally. As his words and actions make clear, he felt he could get away with shortcuts on the OL. Now he's out of a job.

During his five years in Buffalo, TD used two first-day picks on the OL. Of those two picks, one didn't work out, and the other was allowed to walk in free agency. Should TD have matched San Francisco's offer? Of course not. He should have extended Jennings' contract before he hit free agency.

Hopefully, Levy will place a stronger emphasis on finding talented OL than TD did. If there's an offensive lineman with a bright future ahead of him sitting there when our 2nd or 3rd round pick comes up, I don't want the Bills to walk away with some linebacker or TE or RB. They need to take the OL.

603367[/snapback]

Thanks for making my point. The Bills went into the 2002 draft wanting to strengthen their DL. But about 8 teams ahead of them took defensive linemen. TD wanted to take a DE in round one and publicly said so. But there was a run of linemen ahead of him, something he couldnt do anything about. So he chose McGahee. he didnt go into round one looking for Mcgahee. It was a fallback plan. But the other teams didnt cooperate. No one expected all those teams to take DL, and there wasn't any good enough ones left to warrant a #1 contract. That is not ignoring the lines, that is a fact of being in a 32 team league.

Furthermore, you cannot just resign players that do not agree to be resigned. Jennings was a LT who knew and his agent knew that he was going to get an enormous inflated contract on the open market. There werent any other LTs up for free agency and there were as always several teams in need of them. If I was jennings or his agent unless TD offered me the 30+ million I knew I was going to get beforehand, I wouldn't even discuss it with him. Which he didnt, and they didnt. And Jennings was paid about 36 million and played two games last year.

Again, TD's problem was that Mike Williams didnt want it enough and got hurt too much. Hence he made a bad choice. He thought Trey Teague was going to be a quality versatile lineman and FA signing who turned out to be a mediocre FA signing and lineman. Again, it just didnt work out and he made a mistake on that player, he didn't ignore the lines. He signed Sam Adams the best available DT on the market. He had another in Pat Williams who also did not want to resign, he wanted to get as much as he could on the market, as he should have and look what happened. All that talk about a local discount was bull. TD's mistake that time was NOT overpaying. In retrospect it was a mistake. And he probably lost his job on that call more than any other. But it was not because Marv Levy thinks lines are more important than TD does. I would find it hard to believe that marv would have signed Pat Williams, too. Marv's lack of interior defensive linemen may have cost us a Super Bowl.

Oh, and the OL in the Bills/Marv's Super Bowl years? Two number one picks, two 11th round picks (read UDFA now), and one UDFA. Is that what you want this year? Two number ones and three street free agents because Marv cares so much about the OL?

actually, moulds had his contract altered AFTER bledsoe had been released last off-season.......

602989[/snapback]

http://www.billsdaily.com/news/archives/2005/feb2.shtml

actually, no Bledsoe was still on the team and was orginally expected to compete for the starting role. Which we all know that Bledsoe would have won hands down anyway.

The Bills need him as well. Parrish is never going to be a feature WR, and Evans would get doubled and shut down without a dependable receiver to compliment him. Aiken, Reed, and the rest are role players, nothing more.

602955[/snapback]

They thought that about Steve Smith and Santana Moss too...

He had another in Pat Williams who also did not want to resign, he wanted to get as much as he could on the market, as he should have and look what happened. All that talk about a local discount was bull. TD's mistake that time was NOT overpaying. In retrospect it was a mistake. And he probably lost his job on that call more than any other.

603379[/snapback]

how did the vikes overpay? they got a high caliber DT at 13M over 3 years......6M of that was up front and the salaries are 1.4 for '05, 2.4 for '06, and 2.65 for '07.......he hadn't shown any signs of decline his last year in buffalo and, not surprisely, he looked as good as ever last year........

TD didn't need to overpay to keep pat williams.......he just needed to treat him fairly and give him a real contract offer.......the vikes did and now they are reaping to rewards.......and they didn't have to overpay to do it.......

Thanks for making my point. The Bills went into the 2002 draft wanting to strengthen their DL. But about 8 teams ahead of them took defensive linemen. TD wanted to take a DE in round one and publicly said so. But there was a run of linemen ahead of him, something he couldnt do anything about. So he chose McGahee. he didnt go into round one looking for Mcgahee. It was a fallback plan. But the other teams didnt cooperate. No one expected all those teams to take DL, and there wasn't any good enough ones left to warrant a #1 contract. That is not ignoring the lines, that is a fact of being in a 32 team league.

Furthermore, you cannot just resign players that do not agree to be resigned. Jennings was a LT who knew and his agent knew that he was going to get an enormous inflated contract on the open market. There werent any other LTs up for free agency and there were as always several teams in need of them. If I was jennings or his agent unless TD offered me the 30+ million I knew I was going to get beforehand, I wouldn't even discuss it with him. Which he didnt, and they didnt. And Jennings was paid about 36 million and played two games last year.

Again, TD's problem was that Mike Williams didnt want it enough and got hurt too much. Hence he made a bad choice. He thought Trey Teague was going to be a quality versatile lineman and FA signing who turned out to be a mediocre FA signing and lineman. Again, it just didnt work out and he made a mistake on that player, he didn't ignore the lines. He signed Sam Adams the best available DT on the market. He had another in Pat Williams who also did not want to resign, he wanted to get as much as he could on the market, as he should have and look what happened. All that talk about a local discount was bull. TD's mistake that time was NOT overpaying. In retrospect it was a mistake. And he probably lost his job on that call more than any other. But it was not because Marv Levy thinks lines are more important than TD does. I would find it hard to believe that marv would have signed Pat Williams, too. Marv's lack of interior defensive linemen may have cost us a Super Bowl.

Oh, and the OL in the Bills/Marv's Super Bowl years? Two number one picks, two 11th round picks (read UDFA now), and one UDFA. Is that what you want this year? Two number ones and three street free agents because Marv cares so much about the OL?

603379[/snapback]

Nobody wants to hear it, but the Bills OL in the 90s was not dominant. It was barely above average.

Marchibroda was smart enough to mazimize their effectiveness and mask their weaknesses by using the no-huddle offense which allowed them to use their better conditioning to be successful. The line did have some smarts which allowed them adjust on the fly and run screens very effectively.

Whenever Marv tried to return to a standard offense, the offense stalled becuase they could not consistently win the battle in the trenches.

Nobody wants to hear it, but the Bills OL in the 90s was not dominant. It was barely above average.

Marchibroda was smart enough to mazimize their effectiveness and mask their weaknesses by using the no-huddle offense which allowed them to use their better conditioning to be successful. The line did have some smarts which allowed them adjust on the fly and run screens very effectively.

Whenever Marv tried to return to a standard offense, the offense stalled becuase they could not consistently win the battle in the trenches.

603681[/snapback]

Let's get the time frame correct. When Marchibroda was here, the line was dominant. When the line lost Wolford & Ballard shortly thereafter, it became less than dominant.

ps - if someone brings up the pasting that Skins gave our OL in SB 26, let's not forget that most of the pressure came up the middle, as Mitch Frerotte had to fill in for injured John Davis.

Let's get the time frame correct.  When Marchibroda was here, the line was dominant.  When the line lost Wolford & Ballard shortly thereafter, it became less than dominant.

603688[/snapback]

Exactly. Our line at that time WAS dominant. Probably 2nd to only the Hogs. Any doubter would merely just have to look at the size and duration of the holes being created in the running game, along with the time Kelly had to throw those deep developing patterns.

Exactly. Our line at that time WAS dominant. Probably 2nd to only the Hogs. Any doubter would merely just have to look at the size and duration of the holes being created in the running game, along with the time Kelly had to throw those deep developing patterns.

603749[/snapback]

I should add, however, that I agree with ktD's main point that we shouldn't be quick to laud Levy for his understanding of the lines, given the gaping hole in the middle of his defenses, and the inability to properly deal with Wolford's & Ballard's departures. John Fina and Jerry Crafts do not = successful OL transition.

I should add, however, that I agree with ktD's main point that we shouldn't be quick to laud Levy for his understanding of the lines, given the gaping hole in the middle of his defenses, and the inability to properly deal with Wolford's & Ballard's departures.  John Fina and Jerry Crafts do not = successful OL transition.

603787[/snapback]

very true. Remember also that we got royally screwed on Will Wolford by a Plan B loophole the Colts found...

how did the vikes overpay? they got a high caliber DT at 13M over 3 years......6M of that was up front and the salaries are 1.4 for '05, 2.4 for '06, and 2.65 for '07.......he hadn't shown any signs of decline his last year in buffalo and, not surprisely, he looked as good as ever last year........

TD didn't need to overpay to keep pat williams.......he just needed to treat him fairly and give him a real contract offer.......the vikes did and now they are reaping to rewards.......and they didn't have to overpay to do it.......

603670[/snapback]

You may be right. It's arguable. Pat had a very good year and surely we could have used him. He helped the Vikings but their defense, which had a lot of pretty good players, finished in the lower half of the league in defense and in rushing defense. And Pat was next to a very good DT. Plus, that contract of 13 million is a little misleading because of the 6 mil up front (that Ralph may not wanted to pay).

We'll see how good Pat is in two years. That contract means if he is there one year he costs you 7.4 mil a season, two years 4.9 mil a season, and three years 4.3 per. We'll see if Pat is worth 5 mil this year and 4.3 next year. They may have overpaid. We won't know for a year or two.

Every time I see this thread title, I think Marv has an Infrared plan.  That would be awesome.

603686[/snapback]

Oh, yeah, hit "pause," walk out onto the field, put the player in the position to make the play, walk back to the sidelines, hit "play."

Heck, you could even put your players in "fast forward" mode...

Don't like the play? Change the channel. Maybe over to ESPN classic showing a replay of the 1990 AFC Championship game...

Want to screw up the opposing offense? Turn up the volume.

Marv is smart.