Larry Johnson

DCgirl

I apologize if this has already been discussed (I have not visited much in the offseason) but I was just thinking during the Pro Bowl yesterday that Larry Johnson would have looked really good in a Bills uniform. He had 1,750 yards in starting 9 games last year - which is pretty crazy. Instead TD took McGahee. Oh well - I guess hindsight is 20/20 but I sure wish we had Larry Johnson instead of "the best running back in the league."

I apologize if this has already been discussed (I have not visited much in the offseason) but I was just thinking during the Pro Bowl yesterday that Larry Johnson would have looked really good in a Bills uniform.  He had 1,750 yards in starting 9 games last year - which is pretty crazy.  Instead TD took McGahee.  Oh well - I guess hindsight is 20/20 but I sure wish we had Larry Johnson instead of "the best running back in the league."

602287[/snapback]

I keep forgetting we have "The Best" RB in the league. :wacko:

Yeah cause Larry Johnson would've had willie roaf, brian waters, casey weigham, will shields, and john welbourne to run behind here, and a consistent qb in trent green, and been part of overall the nfl's most productive offense since 2001, just sayin  :wacko:

602292[/snapback]

No, it's all about the back! ;)

I apologize if this has already been discussed (I have not visited much in the offseason) but I was just thinking during the Pro Bowl yesterday that Larry Johnson would have looked really good in a Bills uniform.  He had 1,750 yards in starting 9 games last year - which is pretty crazy.  Instead TD took McGahee.  Oh well - I guess hindsight is 20/20 but I sure wish we had Larry Johnson instead of "the best running back in the league."

602287[/snapback]

Honestly, You could switch LJ and willis and willis would gave torn the league apart while johnson had a solid but not spectacular season. They are both good runners, but the main difference is the o-line and the offense that each plays behind and in.

Yeah cause Larry Johnson would've had willie roaf, brian waters, casey weigham, will shields, and john welbourne to run behind here, and a consistent qb in trent green, and been part of overall the nfl's most productive offense since 2001, just sayin  :wacko:

602292[/snapback]

And Willis had how many 2,000-yard seasons in college?

602292[/snapback]

exactly

It`s all about the speed of the back.When L.J. get`s in the open SeeYa. Power and speed deadly combo. :wacko:

602368[/snapback]

I'm not dissing LJ. He's terrific, IMO. But, I think Willis would have performed very well on KC and LJ would have had an ordinary year on last year's Bills.

Honestly, You could switch LJ and willis and willis would gave torn the league apart while johnson had a solid but not spectacular season. They are both good runners, but the main difference is the o-line and the offense that each plays behind and in.

602297[/snapback]

1,750 yards with only 9 starts? Didn't he have 20+ td's? Didn't he have about 5+ runs of 40 or more yards? If that isn't spectacular, WHAT IS?!

It`s all about the speed of the back.When L.J. get`s in the open SeeYa. Power and speed deadly combo. :wacko:

602368[/snapback]

this argument again. Once again

Larry Johnson runs of 20+ yards- 19. Runs of 40+ yards- 3

Willis Mcgahee runs of 20+ yards- 14. Runs of 40+ yards- 1

There doesn't seem to be some huge difference in game speed to me. It seems more an issue of runs between 5-10 yards, and that I base primarly on offensive lines, moreso then the ability of a back.

Just asking cause I really don't know the answer but I'm betting you do. :wacko:

How many top notch RB's have come out of Penn State?  ;)

602336[/snapback]

Depends on the criteria for "top-notch", I guess. Can't match USC's Heisman backfield from the '70s, or the Thurman Thomas/Barry Sanders tandem at Okie State. There have been a few pretty good ones, although L.J. is the only one to ever top 2K in a season.

Some PSU RB history from the last 30 years or so (but be warned, I'm not looking it up, so some dates might be off...)

Canton-ese: Lenny Moore, Franco Harris

Heisman Trophy winners (1): John Cappelletti, 1973.

Think Cappy and Lydell Mitchell are the only "modern-era" Nittany Lion RBs in the College HOF, but I'm not positive about that. They were All-Americans, along with Curt Warner...

...and the following injury-prone first-round picks (it pains me to call them "busts"): Blair Thomas, Ki-Jana Carter, Curtis Enis. The Bills' Booker Moore is a special case; thanks to Guillain-Barre (sp?) syndrome, we'll never know how good he could have been.

And then there's D.J. Dozier. Got the idea he always liked baseball better, although he didn't go anywhere in the pros in either sport.

Can't end this without a shoutout to a top-notch FB, Sam Gash...

Depends on the criteria for "top-notch", I guess. Can't match USC's Heisman backfield from the '70s, or the Thurman Thomas/Barry Sanders tandem at Okie State. There have been a few pretty good ones, although L.J. is the only one to ever top 2K in a season.

Some PSU RB history from the last 30 years or so (but be warned, I'm not looking it up, so some dates might be off...)

Canton-ese: Lenny Moore, Franco Harris

Heisman Trophy winners (1): John Cappelletti, 1973.

Think Cappy and Lydell Mitchell are the only "modern-era" Nittany Lion RBs in the College HOF, but I'm not positive about that. They were All-Americans, along with  Curt Warner...

...and the following injury-prone first-round picks (it pains me to call them "busts"): Blair Thomas, Ki-Jana Carter, Curtis Enis. The Bills' Booker Moore is a special case; thanks to Guillain-Barre (sp?) syndrome, we'll never know how good he could have been.

And then there's D.J. Dozier. Got the idea he always liked baseball better, although he didn't go anywhere in the pros in either sport.

Can't end this without a shoutout to a top-notch FB, Sam Gash...

602385[/snapback]

I always thought Warner was underrated as an NFL back. His career was short, wasn't it? Did he suffer a big injury?

I always thought Warner was underrated as an NFL back.  His career was short, wasn't it?  Did he suffer a big injury?

602392[/snapback]

Blew an ACL in the first game of his second NFL season. That seems to be a habit among PSU backs... one I hope LJ doesn't emulate, since I'll be protecting him in our FFL draft this summer.

1,750 yards with only 9 starts? Didn't he have 20+ td's? Didn't he have about 5+ runs of 40 or more yards? If that isn't spectacular, WHAT IS?!

602378[/snapback]

you misunderstood. LJ running behind Buffalo's line would have (most likely) been unspectacular.

602292[/snapback]

One more thing to mention here. Everyone does remember that Roaf missed six games (including the one vs. Buffalo) with a hamstring injury in 2005, correct? Make that Jordan Black at LT.