Larry Johnson

DCgirl

this argument again.  Once again

Larry Johnson runs of 20+ yards- 19. Runs of 40+ yards- 3

Willis Mcgahee runs of 20+ yards- 14. Runs of 40+ yards- 1

There doesn't seem to be some huge difference in game speed to me.  It seems more an issue of runs between 5-10 yards, and that I base primarly on offensive lines, moreso  then the ability of a back.

602381[/snapback]

this is a frickin good and salient point

that is from what, last season or the last 2 seasons?

I apologize if this has already been discussed (I have not visited much in the offseason) but I was just thinking during the Pro Bowl yesterday that Larry Johnson would have looked really good in a Bills uniform.  He had 1,750 yards in starting 9 games last year - which is pretty crazy.  Instead TD took McGahee.  Oh well - I guess hindsight is 20/20 but I sure wish we had Larry Johnson instead of "the best running back in the league."

602287[/snapback]

That's sad how no one gives props to that monstrous All-Pro KC has had for quite awhile. They rival Pittsburgh in everything they do.

Priest Holmes was good but that line made his career and Trent Green's too. A couple of WR's and these two guys didn't put up all those points for all those years just becuase these skilled players willed it.

...and the following injury-prone first-round picks (it pains me to call them "busts"): Blair Thomas, Ki-Jana Carter, Curtis Enis.

602385[/snapback]

I never miss an opportunity to talk about what a fine player Ki-Jana Carter would have been. :(

Top-notch attitude. In the short time he was on the field, he showed fine blocking, excellent hands, and was one of those players that are absolute touchdown machines... 20 of 'em out of 319 total career carries in 59 games and only 14 starts - while playing on bum teams.

I like Larry Johnson, and he has the chance to be a top-flight back in the league for a long while. However, even with McGahee having a demolished knee, there were just as many questions about Larry Johnson's talent and attitude coming out of school.

He was hyped because he had several 200+ yard rushing games, and even a 300+ yard rushing game. But those were in blowout wins against 'lesser' teams: Indiana, Virginia, Northwestern, Michigan State, and Illinois. In big games, here's what he did: 68 yds rushing in loss to Iowa, 78 yds rushing in a loss to Michigan, 66 yds rushing in a loss to Ohio State, and 72 yds rushing in a bowl game loss to Auburn. NFL people were concerned about his comparitively low output in PSU's big games.

And here's what the scouts said about him before the draft:

"Negatives: Gets off the ball quickly, but does not explode through the holes, as he needs time to accelerate in order to go the distance … Does not have much lateral bounce, but is an effective downhill runner who can turn the corner … Body catches, but still has reliable hands … Needs blocking-technique refinement and must show more aggression in this area … Rounds his cuts in his pass routes."

It's hard to look back and say we should have drafted Johnson instead. The MaGahee pick had much more risk, but if the Bills' doctors were satisfied with the repaired knee, he also had more upside coming out of college. He was a #2 overall before that Ohio State game.