Al Gore

OnTheRocks

Gore Laments U.S. 'Abuses' Against Arabs

JIDDAH, Saudi Arabia Feb 12, 2006 (AP)— Former Vice President Al Gore told a mainly Saudi audience on Sunday that the U.S. government committed "terrible abuses" against Arabs after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, and that most Americans did not support such treatment.

Gore said Arabs had been "indiscriminately rounded up" and held in "unforgivable" conditions. The former vice president said the Bush administration was playing into al-Qaida's hands by routinely blocking Saudi visa applications.

"The thoughtless way in which visas are now handled, that is a mistake," Gore said during the Jiddah Economic Forum. "The worst thing we can possibly do is to cut off the channels of friendship and mutual understanding between Saudi Arabia and the United States."

Gore told the largely Saudi audience, many of them educated at U.S. universities, that Arabs in the United States had been "indiscriminately rounded up, often on minor charges of overstaying a visa or not having a green card in proper order, and held in conditions that were just unforgivable."

"Unfortunately there have been terrible abuses and it's wrong," Gore said. "I do want you to know that it does not represent the desires or wishes or feelings of the majority of the citizens of my country."

I seriously hope he was just pandering to the crowd. If he really thinks that, the man deserves a whippin...

601958[/snapback]

Sounds mostly like pandering, but the Bush folks could do a better job of IDing friend or fo, as difficult as that might be and not that they are really trying. Border security is still a joke, but no excuse for Al's comments.

Sounds mostly like pandering, but the Bush folks could do a better job of IDing friend or fo, as difficult as that might be and not that they are really trying.  Border security is still a joke, but no excuse for Al's comments.

601965[/snapback]

this isn't about a Bush is Bad v. Bush is God thing.

this is soley about Gore as a numb nuts loser.

602026[/snapback]

And borderline traitor spreading lies about the U.S. on foreign soil.

(*^*&%^$^#Gore should ask himself (preferably before opening his mouth) if what he's saying will help Al Qaeda more than it helps his country.

We're lucky a lot of his supporters in Florida were too dumb to handle the task of voting back in 2000.

We're lucky a lot of his supporters in Florida were too dumb to handle the task of voting back in 2000.

602081[/snapback]

No sh--. The Thought of Mr. Internet scares me even more than the retrospective look at 8 years of GWB.

Gore is, was, and always will be an utter hypocrite.

602026[/snapback]

With this crowd, it is always about tarnishing your opponents reputation, even if it is as a result of something self-inflicted. Bush still bad and Gore made another stupid statement.

Of course this assuming it wasn't pieced together by some rightwing nut job to make him look bad. Forgot to check out the source, but I think it was the AP, so probably just Gore being stupid.

No sh--. The Thought of Mr. Internet scares me even more than the retrospective look at 8 years of GWB.

Gore is, was, and always will be an utter hypocrite.

602131[/snapback]

Yeah, and his nut-bag wife tried to censor our music too!

Yeah, and his nut-bag wife tried to censor our music too!

602258[/snapback]

I never got that. Isn't she a democrat too? Don't they believe in free speech to the point of protecting a feces-smeared crucifix as art? But Dee Snider uses a bad word on his album, and Tipper Gore screams across the rooftops for censorship? :wacko:

Seriously...I still don't get it.

I never got that.  Isn't she a democrat too?  Don't they believe in free speech to the point of protecting a feces-smeared crucifix as art?  But Dee Snider uses a bad word on his album, and Tipper Gore screams across the rooftops for censorship?  :wacko:

Seriously...I still don't get it.

602266[/snapback]

Weren't they all super religious types though? That might have been why they got their panties in a wad.

I remember when I was about 13, and the baptist church I was going to gave the congregation a paper explaining how all rock and roll bands were devil worshipers out to poison the minds of good little boys like me. Stuff like the old urban legends, KISS = knights in satan's service, Hotel CA was a church of devil worship, blah, blah, blah. I think that's when I started questioning what the hell I was doing there.

I wiped my ass with that paper. In retrospect, I wish I would have kept it, it was pretty funny...

Weren't they all super religious types though? That might have been why they got their panties in a wad.

I remember when I was about 13, and the baptist church I was going to gave the congregation a paper explaining how all rock and roll bands were devil worshipers out to poison the minds of good little boys like me. Stuff like the old urban legends, KISS = knights in satan's service, Hotel CA was a church of devil worship, blah, blah, blah. I think that's when I started questioning what the hell I was doing there.

I wiped my ass with that paper. In retrospect, I wish I would have kept it, it was pretty funny...

602269[/snapback]

But Hotel California WAS a church of devil worship. Wasn't that the point of the song?

I think the simple fact is, as you said ("baptist" :wacko:), you belonged to a goofy-ass church. Any halfway decent pastor would sieze on "You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave" as a metaphorical basis for a sermon on Hell.

602269[/snapback]

Actually the first thing I did was join a rock and roll band.

I seriously hope he was just pandering to the crowd. If he really thinks that, the man deserves a whippin...

601958[/snapback]

Pandering to what??!!! :wacko:;):D The Saudis are truly evil. They are responsible for funding madrasas that brainwash children with hatred in poor countries like Pakistan and Indonesia. Ther are one of two countries that recognized the Taliban as an actual government and funded them. A quarter of all college students in Saudi Arabia major in Islamic studies. They are the home of of the Wahabi sect. It was no mistake that the majority of the suicide hijackers on 9-11 were Saudis and it wasn't some grand design on Bin Ladens part.

I don't like George W Bush but thank God this piece of stojan was never sworn in as president.

I think the simple fact is, as you said ("baptist"  :(), you belonged to a goofy-ass church. 

602276[/snapback]

Yeah, well that's how they get you. They suck you in when you are little, and have no ablility to think for yourself. Unfortunately, not everyone figures it out for themselves, they just go on believing the same crap they're fed thier whole life, then pass it to thier children. Propagation of stupidity flourishes the same as hatred, from generation to generation...