Cheney shoots hunter.....accidently

Thailog80

I have a friend who worked for him and is a devote Republican, who will do everything in his power to make sure he doesn't become President.  Not good when former employees hate you.

602568[/snapback]

Bingo. Folks I know who have been around him, knows he is a major hot head and unelectable. Not sure why the fasination with him, other then he tends to be liberal on some issues that are near and dear to the media, so they try to trump him up.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So its looks like the real "outrage" over this is over the fact the WH Press Corp didnt get their ballwashing and the story first. Just watched yesterdays WH PC about this with everyone from David Gregory on down gnashing their teeth and freaking out becuase they werent given the story first. Because...ya know...they been such "good friends" to the Administration and really "deserve" a break.

Good.

602610[/snapback]

David Gregory

Why was the White House relying on a Texas rancher to get the word of Cheney's hunting accident out over the weekend, asked Gregory, accusing McClellan of "ducking and weaving.''

"David, hold on… the cameras aren't on right now,'' McClellan replied. "You can do this later.''

"Don't accuse me of trying to pose to the cameras,'' the newsman said, his voice rising somewhat. "Don’t be a jerk to me personally when I’m asking you a serious question.''

"You don't have to yell,'' McClellan said.

"I will yell,'' said Gregory, pointing a finger at McClellan at his dais. "If you want to use that podium to try to take shots at me personally, which I don’t appreciate, then I will raise my voice, because that’s wrong."

"Calm down, Dave, calm down,'' said McClellan, remaining calm throughout the exchange.

"I'll calm down when I feel like calming down,'' Gregory said. "You answer the question.'

"I have answered the question,'' said McClellan, who had maintained that the vice president's office was in charge of getting the information out and worked with the ranch owner to do that. "I'm sorry you're getting all riled up about.''

"I am riled up,'' Gregory said, "because you’re not answering the question,''

McClellan insisted he understood that reporters deserve an answer.

"I think you have legitimate questions to ask,'' the press secretary said. "The vice president’s office was the one that took the lead to get this information out… I don’t know what else to tell you... That's my answer.''

It doesn't actually specify at what point David Gregory started crying. I assume shortly after this exchange, he had to be separated from the other children - er, journalists - and given a timeout.

By the by...the investigation by the sherrif's office involved apparently found no wrongdoing except Cheney and Whittington both forgot to file their hunting permits with the proper $7 hunting stamp, for which they were both cited and fined.

602555[/snapback]

I read that. Apparently, the sherrif winked and told Cheney that he could get him and Whittington the permits after the fact, within three days, but Cheney said "Go fukk yourself, The President said I could shoot the bastard."

Update.  Cheney was on the end of the hunt line, and was one of two people within his right to have a broader range of target shooting.  This clearly was the fault of the other guy for not announcing his rejoining of the line.  BTW, there is a write-up in the Post that details it today.

602648[/snapback]

I've been hunting, and I'm going to stick with placing some blame on the person who shot the other person in the head. That's just me though.

I've been hunting, and I'm going to stick with placing some blame on the person who shot the other person in the head. That's just me though.

602668[/snapback]

I've been hunting, and been hunting on a line. There is specific zones of fire and the only 2 with leaway are the end two guys. If you leave the line, you must announce, when leaving and when coming back. In either case weapons not fired until complete. If you leave or enter the line without announcing, you're free game.

I've been hunting, and been hunting on a line.  There is specific zones of fire and the only 2 with leaway are the end two guys.  If you leave the line, you must announce, when leaving and when coming back.  In either case weapons not fired until complete.  If you leave or enter the line without announcing, you're free game.

602673[/snapback]

I understand the ettiquette.

But you're still a moron if you shoot someone in the head.

I'm not saying he committed a crime--just that he's unsafe.

I've been hunting, and been hunting on a line.  There is specific zones of fire and the only 2 with leaway are the end two guys.  If you leave the line, you must announce, when leaving and when coming back.  In either case weapons not fired until complete.  If you leave or enter the line without announcing, you're free game.

602673[/snapback]

Free game? Cool! I am definitely going line hunting with some old republicans soon! This is awesome!

Free game? Cool! I am definitely going line hunting with some old republicans soon! This is awesome!

602683[/snapback]

Read closely, only "free game" if Cheney followed the rules of engagement.

Part of transcript:

(muffled joking).....I bet Dick knows something about that.

Cheney: I smiled at Halliburton, I gritted my teeth at "lesbian", but with that WMD comment I am asking you to step off the line.

Hunting companion: (stepping off the line) But Dick, you know I was just....

Cheney: Go F-yerself (blast)

Hunting companion: Dammit Dick! You shot me....

Cheney: One word about this before we tell that David Gregory sonavabitch and I promise you I'll shoot you again.

That's exactly how it all went down.

602668[/snapback]

I'd say primary responsibility rests with the guy who pulls the trigger? But blame? Cheney took a legitimate shot at a legitimate target but without checking to see that everyone was on the line, while someone goes off the line and comes wandering back (through high grass, at dusk - i.e. in conditions of poor visibility) without announcing his presence. It's called an accident...and contrary to popular belief or Congressional investigations, accidents sometimes just happen, and "blame" isn't a necessary concept...

I'd say primary responsibility rests with the guy who pulls the trigger?  But blame?  Cheney took a legitimate shot at a legitimate target but without checking to see that everyone was on the line, while someone goes off the line and comes wandering back (through high grass, at dusk - i.e. in conditions of poor visibility) without announcing his presence.  It's called an accident...and contrary to popular belief or Congressional investigations, accidents sometimes just happen, and "blame" isn't a necessary concept...

602717[/snapback]

Especially when you are dealing with a 78 year old friend and 65 plus guy who has a !@#$ you attitude and an itchy ..... finger.

I'm not a hunter and I'm sure that this was an accident.  But it's hard to believe that the WH would issue a statement saying that the guy that was shot was to blame.  I would think that the first rule of hunting is not to shoot the other guys in your party.

602749[/snapback]

And then there was that! 24 hours later even! So like they thought about it.

By the by...the investigation by the sherrif's office involved apparently found no wrongdoing except Cheney and Whittington both forgot to file their hunting permits with the proper $7 hunting stamp, for which they were both cited and fined.

602555[/snapback]

Interesting that they wouldn't let the deputy sherriff interview Cheney until the next day. Maybe they were kicking back some Coronas and they were afraid the deputy would smell it and give Cheney a breathalizer.

Interesting that they wouldn't let the deputy sherriff interview Cheney until the next day.  Maybe they were kicking back some Coronas and they were afraid the deputy would smell it and give Cheney a breathalizer.

602764[/snapback]

First off, spoken like a true non-hunter. We always had a few, not drunk, but it was pretty common to have a little snappes, etc... to warm the bones.

Have you ever been hunting, fired a rifle, etc... if not, STFU, you have no clue.

Interesting that they wouldn't let the deputy sherriff interview Cheney until the next day.  Maybe they were kicking back some Coronas and they were afraid the deputy would smell it and give Cheney a breathalizer.

602764[/snapback]

Ah...never trust chickenhawks handling weapons.

As vile and loathesome as Cheney is, even more so then the extremely unpopular Bush, he'll probably walk away from this relatively unscathed.

It is just interesting to hear his comments in retrospect concerning Kerry's hunting trips:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,136242,00.html

Good stuff in the Daily KOS:

It's the Metaphor, Stupid!: Cheney story bigger than you think

A little story that has tremendous sway because, let's face it: THE VICE PRESIDENT JUST ACTUALLY SHOT ANOTHER HUMAN BEING. The imagery is clear and potent--and not subject to the typical political "he said, she said."

There is no way to play the usual equivocating politics with a story about the vice-president ACTUALLY SHOOTING SOMEONE.

"The Buck Shot's Here!"

(see the comments section link at the bottom; Totally wish I'd thought of that line. :( )

I also completely forgot about that scene in Mars Attacks! when they release the doves and all hell breaks loose. Yup, ol' Dick is gonna be haunted by this real live comedy sketch for a long time.