The Cover 2 could be great for this team

C.Biscuit97

Just looking the Bears, Bucs, and Colts, I think the Bills match up well with their personnel. With Spikes coming back (I'm assuming he will be ok, maybe a step slower), he has a chance to be an unbelieveable season. Derrick Brooks was a defensive MVP, and Cato June & Lance Briggs were pro-bowlers. Spikes is better than all those guys except Brooks, and that's close. I think our corners are better than all of those teams, except maybe the Bucs, and our safeties are on par. However, our d-line is lagging far behind. With Schobel and Adams (say what you want about him, he can still be a force), we have 2 quality linemen. If we can add a couple of pieces (Ngata or Howard anyone), this will be a dominating defense.

Our defense wasn't dominating last year, they were decent enough to win more than 5 games. I wonder if our D played to the 2004 level that was #2 and lead the league in turnovers, I wonder how much different JP would have faired. Anyway, that was my rant. Any thoughts? First non-football weekend and I'm going crazy. :D

Cover 2 relies on the defensive line to pressure the QB without blitzes.  That doesn't sound like us, and hasn't sounded like us for a decade.

601406[/snapback]

I wouldn't quite go that far -- we didn't lose Bruuuce until 2000.

Since then, though... :D

Cover 2 relies on the defensive line to pressure the QB without blitzes.  That doesn't sound like us, and hasn't sounded like us for a decade.

601406[/snapback]

Sam Adams is the perfect tackle for the cover-two; you'd be hard-pressed to find a better pass-rusning DT. We get a good run-stopper next to him and we'll be able to run this defense very well. People underestimate our "high motor" ends--I like Kelsay to have a big year, breaking out of his sophomore slump.

Compare this team to the Bears of last year.  On the D-line, they have the players except at NT (Fat Ted or that guy from Baltimore).  At LB'er, assuming TKO can come back, they're comparable.  The secondary is even pretty comparable with maybe some tweaking needed there at safety.

601480[/snapback]

Bills have ZERO players that can beat their man one-on-one on teh DL.

Fat Sam can do it for a few plays over a game when he is interested, but for the most part he is collecting his paycheck.

Even with a force in the middle requiring doubel teams, the Bills still don't have a front four that can generate pressure on a consistent basis needed to run the Cover 2.

We would sign someone like Brian Williams for 2 mill., or draft one with our 2nd pick. From what I here, if you play the cover 2 you have to have 4 lineman that can rush the passer without blitzing. It isn't as important to have top flight corners. The Bears corners were all 3rd round picks and later, and would probably struggle mightly playing with a different team.

I'm starting to think that maybe we should let Clements go and go after Darren Howard or John Abarham.  A line that looked liked this could definitely create a pass rush.

LE: Darren Howard

DT: Sam Adams

DT: H. Ngata

RE: Aaron Schobel

601871[/snapback]

That would be ideal.

Spend the money on the guys that will make an average DB look great. Like Chicago did last year.