Answer to Moulds?

Answer to Moulds next season? No

Answer to moulds in a couple years? maybe

Moulds is a veteran leader on the team, he is more than just a receiver ont the team (forget the miami game this year as no one is sure exactly what went down) You can't just replace him with a rookie just because the have similar characteristics. Moulds still draws double coverage and can be dangerous, which makes Evans more of a threat.

Without moulds it would leave us Chad Jackson (if the bills draft him) first year, lee Evans - third year, Roscoe Parrish - Second year 9first full year), and Josh Reed - Fourth year? (if he stays)

I think we still need a veteran receiver like moulds to help get these younger guys going or else we are just creating more holes to fill

This is an outstanding receiver. Catches EVERYTHING thrown his way, big, physical, speedy.

Isn't this the same thing they said about Josh Reed before he was drafted? You just never know what you'll get until they actually start playing. Therefore I don't think that you can say he is a good replacement for Moulds.

Besides if the Bills were to draft a WR in the 2nd they would have a mutiny by the fan base.

This guy has looked significantly better than Josh Reed or Roscoe Parrish in pre-combine drills. 1st thing to point out is that the Bills have yet to draft a decent receiver over 5'11 since Eric Moulds.

I'm definitely not saying get rid of Moulds, I would love for him to stay. All I'm saying is this guy has a lot of upside that the Bills could use moreso than Reed or Parrish.

This guy has looked significantly better than Josh Reed or Roscoe Parrish in pre-combine drills. 1st thing to point out is that the Bills have yet to draft a decent receiver over 5'11 since Eric Moulds.

I'm definitely not saying get rid of Moulds, I would love for him to stay. All I'm saying is this guy has a lot of upside that the Bills could use moreso than Reed or Parrish.

594471[/snapback]

I'm weary of Florida WRs since their track record for producing in the NFL is rather low. I understand most of these guys played under Spurrier so it might unfair to judge Chad Jackson based on these results but aside from Darrell Jackson most have been far from great. As below you fill find the NFL stats of WRs drafted out of Florida since 1984.

Player Name                      Games  Receptions Yards    YPC        TDs

Taylor Jacobs Redskins      38          30              315      10.5        1

Jabar Gaffney Texans        64        171            2009      11.7        7

Reche Caldwell Chargers    45        76              950      12.5        7

John Capel Bears                0        0                    0          0        0

Travis Taylor Ravens          83        254          3362        13.2        19 

Darrell Jackson Seahawks    83        378          5489        14.5      37

Travis McGriff Broncos        19            5              88        17.6        1

Jacquez Green Buccaneers  67        162          2311        14.3        7

Ike Hilliard Giants                114      403          4912        12.2      28

Reidel Anthony Buccaneers  68        144          1846        12.8      16

Chris Doering Jaguars          36          42            476        11.3        3

Willie Jackson Cowboys        112      284          3641        12.8      24

why? just because you saw some junk on TV? thats not a real game

dont you remember rob johnson winning that QB challenge? come on, these drills say nothing

594502[/snapback]

Actually, Jackson did pretty damn well in real games too, but we can ignore that also....if you like.

why? just because you saw some junk on TV? thats not a real game

dont you remember rob johnson winning that QB challenge? come on, these drills say nothing

594502[/snapback]

I agree! Another contest in underware and the kid is the next replacement for Eric Moulds. :blush::blush:

I've been at 3 games he's played in the past 2 years and watched him play many more on tv, in fact I was at the game he got his first start of his career. He's only started 2 years. I remember he was also ranked the top receiver in the nation coming out of high school. I would say it is legitimate if Moulds isn't re-signed.

In the season opener last year, he caught 3 TDs and ran for another.

I've been at 3 games he's played in the past 2 years and watched him play many more on tv, in fact I was at the game he got his first start of his career. He's only started 2 years. I remember he was also ranked the top receiver in the nation coming out of high school. I would say it is legitimate if Moulds isn't re-signed.

In the season opener last year, he caught 3 TDs and ran for another.

594621[/snapback]

Yeah but to get him it probably mean using a 2nd Round pick on him. Not sure we can commit another high pick on a WR for the third year in a row.

There are a lot of teams who are over the cap, by a LOT mind you, who will need to cut good players.  I say that if Moulds doesn't take a paycut, look to replace him with a veteran, not a rookie.

594630[/snapback]

One guy who might be out there is Isaac Bruce, who's set to earn $6.5 million base and would welcome with open arms. As he's familar with Fairchild's system and might be more affordable than guys like Givens and Bryant.

One guy who might be out there is Isaac Bruce, who's set to earn $6.5 million base and would welcome with open arms. As he's familar with Fairchild's system and might be more affordable than guys like Givens and Bryant.

I'm not too sure Givens and Bryant will be all that expensive. I guess they could be if there's a bidding war over them, but I don't see it. But Bruce would be a decent fallback, again for the right price. But outside of a dome might not suit him.

I'm not too sure Givens and Bryant will be all that expensive.  I guess they could be if there's a bidding war over them, but I don't see it.  But Bruce would be a decent fallback, again for the right price.  But outside of a dome might not suit him.

594637[/snapback]

When I count the expense I'm including the cost of cutting Moulds in with it. Combined with the salary it take to get a younger guy (see Givens or Bryant) about to enter their prime and looking to cash in, all things considered they could be too rich for our blood. Especially since I feel we will franchise and keep Nate and want to get the best DT (IMHO it's Ryan Pickett) in free agency.

When I count the expense I'm including the cost of cutting Moulds in with it. Combined with the salary it take to get a younger guy (see Givens or Bryant) about to enter their prime and looking to cash in, all things considered they could be too rich for our blood. Especially since I feel we will franchise and keep Nate and want to get the best DT (IMHO it's Ryan Pickett) in free agency.

Cutting Moulds will save $4.522M. And considering neither Givens nor Bryant are top-flight WR's, they shouldn't count for more than $2.5M against the cap next year (that's cap number, not necessarily contract per-year average).

As for Pickett, I'd rather get a NT like Washington, who will be cheaper and just as effective, if not moreso. I looked at the Bears' defense and they use a NT and a DT, and Washington and Adams would fit the Bills. Ngata would be ideal there as well. While it's not ideal to have to old guys in the middle, with Ngata and Anderson being in the rotation, it's a good way to go and feasible, and there are other needs (read: O-line) that need to be addressed with bigger-name/money players.

594635[/snapback]

If he is set to earn 6.5 mil next year, adding him plus the dead cap space from moulds (since he is cut to make room for him) and he is now making more than it would cost to keep moulds. Is Bruce worth more than Moulds is?