Edge looking for new home?

BuffaloBud

That's absolutely nuts. He's just 28, and has several productive years left. Who are the Colts gonna get to replace him with a late draft pick? I can't imagine Polian making this kind of mistake. James is still one of the top five running backs in the league. And he can catch the ball too. The reason the Colt's lost that playoff game was because they didn't protect Manning. And Manning and tthe coaches didn't adjust. Just crazy.

Its all about the money...the Colts tied a lot up a lot of cash in Peyton and Marvin, and basically made their decision to move on without Edge a year or so ago. Lets hope he gets out of the AFC...luckily we're pretty set in the division with RBs so there is little chance of him hitting the AFC East again.

Sure the Jets need a RB, but they are also 30 million dollars OVER the cap...so hoorah for their screw-ups!

Edge is a stud. Look for the J E T S to ink him ..

593414[/snapback]

With what cash?

NY Jets

$-29 M Over the Cap

Obviously the Jets are really in bad shape here. If the team elects to keep Chad Pennington, they will have to fork over a $3M roster bonus. With a $6 M base salary -- and nearly $4M in this year's bonus proration -- they clearly cannot afford to keep him under the existing contract. However, it will cost them (cap-wise) about $10 M just to cut him. And they can forget about franchising John Abraham again. Expect the cost-cutting to begin soon. No wonder Herm Edwards wants to head to Kansas City!

The Colts really don't have another back even close that could replace him. Dominic Rhodes is in my opinion an average back who the Colts cannot rely on long term as their answer. He will not keep defenses honest in respecting the run.

The Edge can do it all, including pass-protection.

Remember too that the Colts let go a pretty good back before the Edge...remember Marshall Faulk was a good back. The only difference in the situation is that the Colts do not have a high draft pick to grab a stud RB in the next draft.

Edge is a stud. Look for the J E T S to ink him ..

593414[/snapback]

I think James is terrific too. However, from what I read somewhere the last few weeks, the Jets and Redskins will both be in big salary cap trouble this coming season. They may not be able to afford him...I could see the Vikings going hard for him...they have about a half dozen #2 and #3 guys, no #1!

That's absolutely nuts.  He's just 28, and has several productive years left.  Who are the Colts gonna get to replace him with a late draft pick?  I can't imagine Polian making this kind of mistake.  James is still one of the top five running backs in the league.  And he can catch the ball too.  The reason the Colt's lost that playoff game was because they didn't protect Manning.  And Manning and tthe coaches didn't adjust.  Just crazy.

593387[/snapback]

Word is he is gone - They like the kid from Wisconson and could get him in the first round. The thoughts I am hearing is that they could not win with him there, why not sink exra cash in other areas and go with a younger back that could be 80% of him...

That's absolutely nuts.  He's just 28, and has several productive years left.  Who are the Colts gonna get to replace him with a late draft pick?  I can't imagine Polian making this kind of mistake.  James is still one of the top five running backs in the league.  And he can catch the ball too.  The reason the Colt's lost that playoff game was because they didn't protect Manning.  And Manning and tthe coaches didn't adjust.  Just crazy.

593387[/snapback]

The Colts did not seem to struggle much when he was hurt and Rhodes was filling in for him.

Running back is one of the most overrated positions in the league. You can plug anyone in behind a solid offensive line and system and they can rush for over 1,000 yards. See: Denver, Pitsburgh, Kansas City.

I would not resign him. They could easliy replace him with what they have and in the draft.

The Colts did not seem to struggle much when he was hurt and Rhodes was filling in for him.

Running back is one of the most overrated positions in the league. You can plug anyone in behind a solid offensive line and system and they can rush for over 1,000 yards. See: Denver, Pitsburgh, Kansas City.

I would not resign him. They could easliy replace him with what they have and in the draft.

593460[/snapback]

We all know Edge is a great RB, but it's no secret that he has never liked Indy...he hates the city and the weather. This is his best opportunity to get out of town so he is starting the "they don'y want me back" and "I'm under appreciated" crap early. He is burning the bridge before they can begin negotiations. Also, maybe the reason Indy hasn't said anything is because they are sick of the rumors that Edge is leaving everytime a RB job opens in a warm market. Polian has done a good job up to this point, so I think he probably has a plan.

Pure speculation? Not knowing their cap situation, but JAX could make a play for EJ. FT is just not the same with injury and age nagging him. They could add this stud while weakening their divisional foe.

Indy? Why not make a play for Ricky? I don't know what it would cost to get him from the phins, but he'd be a nice replacement for EJ.

Edge to the Eagles perhaps?

593485[/snapback]

He'd be great there! Perfect fit. Imagine him in the backfield and with a healthy Westbrook lining up in the slot. Fireworks. Moats looked awfully good, too, last year. EJ, of course, would be the workhorse. They would spark the offense in the absense of TO.