Should the Bills draft or sign another RB

Like A Mofo

Was thinking back to 2004 when Willis had a fantastic 12 game stretch and TH was on the team...TH leaves and WM is the clear #1 RB and he has his moments but then had bad games (granted, not ALL his fault, but still should shoulder some of the blame)

Im not suggesting the Bills get a guy like Edge etc....but should the Bills look to get another solid RB who would MAYBE be a #1 RB to draft a good RB out of college, maybe that would push Willis? Maybe Willis was very motivated by having a guy like TH on the team to push himself to becoming a legitimate #1 RB.

Or would doing this backfire, get Willis pissed, and help run him out of Buffalo?

And would it be good to have another RB to turn to if need be? Seems to becoming a trend somehwat in today's NFL.

I might be reaching here, forgive me its Feb 2nd and trying to stir up Bills talk! :huh::)

YES.

Drafting a Tatum Bell like back in the 3rd or 4th round would be great. But that requires a good personnel department to unearth them. Anyone can find a stud in the first or second round.

Was thinking back to 2004 when Willis had a fantastic 12 game stretch and TH was on the team...TH leaves and WM is the clear #1 RB and he has his moments but then had bad games (granted, not ALL his fault, but still should shoulder some of the blame)

Im not suggesting the Bills get a guy like Edge etc....but should the Bills look to get another solid RB who would MAYBE be a #1 RB to draft a good RB out of college, maybe that would push Willis?  Maybe Willis was very motivated by having a guy like TH on the team to push himself to becoming a legitimate #1 RB.

Or would doing this backfire, get Willis pissed, and help run him out of Buffalo?

And would it be good to have another RB to turn to if need be?  Seems to becoming a trend somehwat in today's NFL.

I might be reaching here, forgive me its Feb 2nd and trying to stir up Bills talk!  :huh:  :)

592672[/snapback]

I'll re-post a (slightly edited for context) rant i posted a few days ago, as it fits this thread. This is not a crusade of mine...honest:

Willis doesn't need another back taking his reps. He's the kind of back who needs 25-35 a game. The suggestion by some on This Wall that we get another back to take some of carries is just plain, dumb, IMO.

Should there be a competition for the positiion. Of course, there should be...every position...every year. That goes without saying, IMO. Of course, what consitutes a "competition" for one position may be different for another position. I think we all know Willis is the starter next year. I mean, is there really ANY question of that? But, if someone seriously steps up in camp and pre-season and makes everyone go, "WTF?"...If someone kicks some serious ass...well??? Bring it on.

With that said, Willis is most likely to be the man. BUT, even if we take THAT for granted...s#it happens. RB's get hurt...RB's miss games...RBs need the occasional break. So we need another stud RB...or one who can play the part, if necessary. It's much easier to play that role if you have a good supporting cast. (The teams with great OLs seem to be the teams that have two great backs. The teams with the great OLs are the teams that make it through RB [and QB] injuries.)

So...the competition is open. Step up and take the starting job from Willis. But, take it or not (NOT) this team need a back other than Willis who can:

Be the Man

Be the Man for a while if the Man goes down.

Give The Man a break and be The Man for those plays.

However, it would be REALLY stupid to draft a back in the first round...or the second round (unless a Wills, or Thurman, situation arises).

I'll re-post a (slightly edited for context) rant i posted a few days ago, as it fits this thread.  This is not a crusade of mine...honest:

Willis doesn't need another back taking his reps. He's the kind of back who needs 25-35 a game. The suggestion by some on This Wall that we get another back to take some of carries is just plain, dumb, IMO.

Should there be a competition for the positiion. Of course, there should be...every position...every year. That goes without saying, IMO. Of course, what consitutes a "competition" for one position may be different for another position. I think we all know Willis is the starter next year. I mean, is there really ANY question of that? But, if someone seriously steps up in camp and pre-season and makes everyone go, "WTF?"...If someone kicks some serious ass...well??? Bring it on.

With that said, Willis is most likely to be the man. BUT, even if we take THAT for granted...s#it happens. RB's get hurt...RB's miss games...RBs need the occasional break. So we need another stud RB...or one who can play the part, if necessary. It's much easier to play that role if you have a good supporting cast. (The teams with great OLs seem to be the teams that have two great backs. The teams with the great OLs are the teams that make it through RB [and QB] injuries.)

So...the competition is open. Step up and take the starting job from Willis. But, take it or not (NOT) this team need a back other than Willis who can:

Be the Man

Be the Man for a while if the Man goes down.

Give The Man a break and be The Man for those plays.

However, it would be REALLY stupid to draft a back in the first round...or the second round (unless a Wills, or Thurman, situation arises).

592695[/snapback]

Good post Dean.

And I do agree...NO way should the Bills take a RB in the first 2 or even 3 rounds of the Draft...would just be nice to have a RB with a potential to be a 1000 yd guy in case Willis is hurt or dosent produce.

I really like Gates.  He should be Willis' primary backup.  I don't believe the Bills should or will draft a RB until the later rounds (if at all).

592714[/snapback]

I dont get the lionel gates love. He had a few carries in preseason, and everyone thinks he's an nfl caliber back and can push mcgahee. Theres a reason he didnt get any carries in the season. It's almost like how everyone thought drew haddad was our best wr in preseason and the tory woodbury love during training camp.

The Bills shouldnt draft a rb, nor should we bring in a back to split carries. Mcgahee is the type of rb who should get 25-30 carries a game and be the centerpiece of our offense, however it's always a good idea to have a qualified backup, who can come in when need be to give willis a rest or if he gets hurt.

Possibly bring in someone like a tony fisher, or rock cartwright, ron dayne, musa smith. Someone who you dont have to break the bank for, but can give you carries and decent spot starter if need be.

I'm not so much looking for someone to push Willis but more of a guy to at least be a upgrade/replacement of Shaud Williams. UFAs like Kenny Watson, Tony Fisher and Sammy Morris come to mind. I put DonTrell Moore in my mock draft as he falls into the type of guy I'm looking for. Which is a guy who has can be a legitimate 3rd down back and the abilty to spell McGahee a drive or two if needed.

I dont get the lionel gates love.  He had a few carries in preseason,  and everyone thinks he's an nfl caliber back and can push mcgahee.  Theres a reason he didnt get any carries in the season.  It's almost like how everyone thought drew haddad was our best wr in preseason and the tory woodbury love during training camp.

592718[/snapback]

yes -- we had a HC and OC who believed in "packages" and only shaud williams was part of the 3rd down "package." are you really going to use the "strategy" employed by mularkey and clements to support your argument?

besides -- it's not "lionel gates love." it's recognizing that this back was considered a sleeper by several draft gurus and played at a legitimate college program. it's not at all analogous to the haddad/woodbury examples.

I dont get the lionel gates love.  He had a few carries in preseason,  and everyone thinks he's an nfl caliber back and can push mcgahee.  Theres a reason he didnt get any carries in the season.  It's almost like how everyone thought drew haddad was our best wr in preseason and the tory woodbury love during training camp.

The Bills shouldnt draft a rb, nor should we bring in a back to split carries. Mcgahee is the type of rb who should get 25-30 carries a game and be the centerpiece of our offense, however it's always a good idea to have a qualified backup, who can come in when need be to give willis a rest or if he gets hurt. 

Possibly bring in someone like a tony fisher, or rock cartwright, ron dayne, musa smith.  Someone who you dont have to break the bank for, but can give you carries and decent spot starter if need be.

592718[/snapback]

Agreed. We have fans that seem to love/root for these one dimensional wonders and then get all upset when they neither play or worse, get cut. These are the guys that seem to do well carrying at the end of preseason, but are terrible in any blocking, terrible at catching, and basically have no grasp of the playbook. The Kamil Laud, Drew Haddad, Ken Simonton, David Dinkins, Travis Brown, Kwame Cavil, Lauvale Sape lovers. They some how get it in their pea brains that these guys are all world, and that the team management messed up. Sorry, but these guys don't see the field too often in a real game for a reason.

Agreed.  We have fans that seem to love/root for these one dimensional wonders and then get all upset when they neither play or worse, get cut.  These are the guys that seem to do well carrying at the end of preseason, but are terrible in any blocking, terrible at catching, and basically have no grasp of the playbook.  The Kamil Laud, Drew Haddad, Ken Simonton, David Dinkins, Travis Brown, Kwame Cavil, Lauvale Sape lovers.  They some how get it in their pea brains that these guys are all world, and that the team management messed up.  Sorry, but these guys don't see the field too often in a real game for a reason.

592790[/snapback]

You're so right, VA. Who's that guy toting the rock for Pittsburgh these days who didn't sniff the field until a meaningless end of the regular season game when the 3rd and 4th stringers got to play? The guy who didn't even play on his college team? Good players NEVER come out of nowhere, do they?

It must be nice to be such a know-it-all and call everyone else a "pea brain."

Agreed.  We have fans that seem to love/root for these one dimensional wonders and then get all upset when they neither play or worse, get cut.  These are the guys that seem to do well carrying at the end of preseason, but are terrible in any blocking, terrible at catching, and basically have no grasp of the playbook.  The Kamil Laud, Drew Haddad, Ken Simonton, David Dinkins, Travis Brown, Kwame Cavil, Lauvale Sape lovers.  They some how get it in their pea brains that these guys are all world, and that the team management messed up.  Sorry, but these guys don't see the field too often in a real game for a reason.

592790[/snapback]

But, without guys like Kamil and Kwame, how is Petrino (the Bard of the Board) going to compose his odes?

(I wonder how many here even remember PiA's odes?)

You're so right, VA.  Who's that guy toting the rock for Pittsburgh these days who didn't sniff the field until a meaningless end of the regular season game when the 3rd and 4th stringers got to play?  The guy who didn't even play on his college team?  Good players NEVER come out of nowhere, do they?

It must be nice to be such a know-it-all and call everyone else a "pea brain."

592794[/snapback]

But he made the regular season squad. These other guys usually didn't even get onto the practice squad. Big, BIG difference.

Again, is someone actually using the strategy employed by Mularkey and Clements to support an argument?   :huh:

592806[/snapback]

No, and I thought about how much of an idiot meathead is. But the point is on a very bad team, Gates never even dressed. He has got to have issues with playbook understanding, catching , blocking or all of the above.

Oh and check the stats, in preseason against scrubs he had a 2.9 YPC. Again, maybe he sucks.

No, and I thought about how much of an idiot meathead is.  But the point is on a very bad team, Gates never even dressed.  He has got to have issues with playbook understanding, catching , blocking or all of the above.

Oh and check the stats, in preseason against scrubs he had a 2.9 YPC.  Again, maybe he sucks.

592808[/snapback]

He can't be worse than Shaud Williams, can he?