How do you all feel about Mel Kiper

PSU_Mouse

i have heard stories of how when he first started publishing his scouting report the phone number to order was his home number.  and this was after he had started doing segments with ESPN.....i have heard if you called to order he would not hesitate to chat with you for several minutes just shooting the bull about the upcoming draft.

592044[/snapback]

I can confirm this. I was living in DC at the time (mid 80's) and would call and order my draft stuff from Mel each year. And it was his home. And we wouldn't talk for a few minutes. More like a half hour or more. A real good guy, and a man passionate about what he does.

I remember after a couple of drafts into the Polian era he was VERY stoked about the Bills. Believed the players we were drafting were top notch, and that the team was being groomed for big things. He was right on. He could see a couple years into the future, and of course, the rest is history.

Yes, he is missed....

593518[/snapback]

Like Cincy, i also wondered about the name change. This caught my eye as well:

"Need a hero? Just look within your own family, you might be surprised."

Are you saying, if you're hungy you should ask your mom and she'll make you a submarine sandwich? If so, that wouldn't surprise me at all.

I crack me up.

I've always enjoyed watching Mel Kiper. Is he arrogant about his picks, probably.

Still this is the guy who made or makes the draft watchable.

It's even better when you go to the draft, and getting to see Mel in person.

The fans at the draft are always ripping on him, and he just laughs it off, and when the people ask him anything about a certain player he will answer them.

I got my picture taken with him a couple of years ago, and he is a very nice guy.

Well, one thing about Kiper is I'd like to have his job. Studies up about College Football players and gets paid for it.

He's amazing. In the 7th round of the draft, he's still spilling out a bunch of comments and 40 times, number of reps he did in some lifting test at the combine, etc. of guys most of us never heard of.

The problem as I see it with Kiper is his arrogance. I don't know much about his background, but a lot of his predictions seem to be ones that I'd make, as well (I just watch football and enjoy it as a fan...never played organized football, but watched it over the years and have become somewhat familiar with players and teams and who needs what, etc.).

In the past, he's criticized teams very heavily when they don't draft the guy he expected them to....almost as if he's embarrassed that he made the wrong prediction, so he takes it out on the particular team.

What I don't understand about him being the "draft expert" is why can't E$PN use the NFL and college analysts we see all year long. The NFL guys should know what the teams are looking for and the college analysts should know which players fit those needs. We never see Kiper during the season and then he comes out of hibernation in mid-January and we're supposed to believe he's an expert. This doesn't mean he's doing nothing from September through January, but E$PN is better off having him do some college analysis during the season so they can at least make him look credible.

I think I don't like him primarily because of his arrogance and some of his unreasonable/outrageous opinions. Not to mention, when you put him and Theismann at the same desk during the draft, you'd rather turn the sound off and just watch the scrolling bottom line.

592116[/snapback]

I've heard Kiper during the season on ESPN Radio's version of College Gameday.

I've actually also heard him during the baseball season on a weekend ESPN radio show talking about baseball.

Thinking back - I seem to recall him bashing the crap out of the Bengals when they drafted Levi Jones in the first round.

Gee, I wonder how that pick worked out...  :P

593170[/snapback]

Yes, he just ripped them for that pick. He just couldn't bash it hard enough.

The guy is a walking "40 times" encyclopedia and seems to know some factoid about every football player on the planet, so I give him props for that. I just think he'd be a tad more tolerable if he took himself a wee bit less seriously. He's going to take "shots" from rabid fans just because he expresses an opinion. The "because, I do my homework!" defense isn't going to stop that.

At least he doesn't endlessly psycho-analyze TO... ;)

what i think is funny....i would bet that the folks who say they don't like him...don't turn the channel of their radio or TV when he is on ESPN,...especially if he is commenting on the Bills pick or draft position.

what makes Kiper so good is he makes you want more....and whether you want to admit it or not you want to know what he thinks about your teams draft.

What's up with your name change?

stuck

593529[/snapback]

Had a few references such as, "hey BF, what about....", etc., and that made up my mind. I'm sure you can understand not wishing the acquire that handle....

Besides, the new name is a play on my last name (Webb) and "spider" is a nick name I've had all my life. It was time.