Veteran DT

billsfan182

I recieved Bill digest today and after reading I feel bringing a veteran DT along with a good solid rookie(early in draft) would be a great move. Adams is a bust and sure he only has 1 more year left, do we let that expire and keep him here one more year. I SAY NO!! remember what Marv said "ability without charecter will never win" I dont think adams is wanted here anymore anyway. With that said whos left? Edwards(un-seen) what he can do but i think he will be re-signed at a decent price possibly long-term. Bannan and Anderson are both proven back-ups BUT not more! MY COICE: dive into the FA pool and look at Rocky Bernard(SEA) Clancy(NYG) OR Pickett(my choice)(STL) I would say Pickett because he is a guy we are looking for. He is fast, powerfull, and a good wrap-up tackler. Bernard is also a fast DT, But we need a fast/run stopping/hole clogger. Out of these 3 Pickett is the best possibility of being brought here, Especially with Bill Koller as our DL coach whom coached with Pickett in STL

whats your take?

I recieved Bill digest today and after reading I feel bringing a veteran DT along with a good solid rookie(early in draft) would be a great move. Adams is a bust and sure he only has 1 more year left, do we let that expire and keep him here one more year. I SAY NO!! remember what Marv said "ability without charecter will never win" I dont think adams is wanted here anymore anyway. With that said whos left? Edwards(un-seen) what he can do but i think he will be re-signed at a decent price possibly long-term. Bannan and Anderson are both proven back-ups BUT not more! MY COICE: dive into the FA pool and look at Rocky Bernard(SEA) Clancy(NYG) OR Pickett(my choice)(STL) I would say Pickett because he is a guy we are looking for. He is fast, powerfull, and a good wrap-up tackler. Bernard is also a fast DT, But we need a fast/run stopping/hole clogger. Out of these 3 Pickett is the best possibility of being brought here, Especially with Bill Koller as our DL coach whom coached with Pickett in STL

whats your take?

591796[/snapback]

not that there's anything that can be done now, but what a disaster losing pat williams and keeping sam adams. williams was the reason the vikings defense improved so much this year as Dr. Z said "I saw several Vikings games and in each one Williams demolished the opposing center." That guy is quick and powerful and 300 lbs+, unlike Adams who at 300 lbs+ is not quick or powerful, meaning he's just fat.

lol yup I wish we had "big Pat" not "fat Sam" Williams not only was a fast and powerfull DT but he brought alot of charecter also. I still to this day cant fiqure out why we lost him, he stated several times he loved Buffalo and didnt want to leave and how he loved the bills and would be more than willing to take a paycut to stay here. He was deffinetly without a doubt our best DT run-stuffer, but why was he not even talked to once on the phone or contacted and not even offered a new contract, just doesnt make scence....but what ya gonna do I guess! :doh:

but anyways, what is everyones take and guess?

I keep reading about fast DT in this topic, is that possible? :doh:

Losing Pat obviously cost us dearly, more so than I thought it would. I remember after last season at either the SB or the PB TKO, Sam and one other Bill were getting interviewed and they begged TD to do anything he could to bring back Pat. I guess they knew what they were talking about.

I think DT is as big a priority for us in the off season as OL help is. I wouldn't mind getting Ngata and keeping Adams. Adams is a great gap man and Ngata can tie up the line like Pat did. Also the thought of Ted Washington coming back for a year to rotate with the other guys sounds interesting to me.

What about signing Chris Hovan and drafting Ngata.

591815[/snapback]

Hovan is serious about staying in TB last I knew, but man if we had a chance for him I'd take it... He'd definately be a help to the pass rush...then we rotate edwards, fat sam and anderson in an out

I keepabout sam not being quick. That is certainly not true, as he gets into the backfield really fast, but he doesn't make the plays because he is too fat and not agile and he is a randy moss type player. PHat Pat gave his all to the billsand the son of satan got rid of him. another TD phunkup there

I hope you are kidding, sam Adams has one of the fastest first steps in the NFL, numbers 2 and 3 are not so fast but when he is Healthy he gets off the ball faster than any DT in the NFL. Also our defense is a defense that requires large DT, and DJ's (at least in Chi) is the same. From what I understand Adams and Washington are friends and teddy would help motivate Adams, Speed on the outside and power up the middle. if you stop the inside run, and bounce the ball outside, good tacklers can make plays (which is why Posey needs to go) I agree that on passing downs an inside rusher would be helpfull, hopefully Edwards can return, not sure if anyone remembers his 40 time out of college-I believe it was around 4.7-but that was 40 pounds ago. One possible middle rounder is Wroten, who was arrested for pot, shortly after the bowl game. So like Hawthorne did last year he should fall, and hopefully we can get him in the 4th otr 5th.

One possible middle rounder is Wroten, who was arrested for pot, shortly after the bowl game.  So like Hawthorne did last year he should fall, and hopefully we can get him in the 4th otr 5th.

591904[/snapback]

Hey, I am not saying that smoking weed is the worst thing that a person can do, but if this kid, around the time of one of the most important events of his life, doesn't have the discipline to leave the weed alone, maybe he is too much of a risk to waste a draft pick on.

Adams with Ted Washington worked well enuf to be #2 in the NFL. I'd say keep Adams around, get Pickett or Washington, then draft Gabe Watson (Michigan) in RD#2. Keep Edwards for pass rush.

Welcome to the Wall!

Astro

591802[/snapback]

I like this plan minus Washington. As don't see him being around more than a year or so. I know people will say then get rid of Adams but to me I only keep him around because he's under contract and maybe a young guy can learn something from him.

I hope you are kidding, sam Adams has one of the fastest first steps in the NFL, numbers 2 and 3 are not so fast but when he is Healthy he gets off the ball faster than any DT in the NFL.  Also our defense is a defense that requires large DT, and DJ's (at least in Chi) is the same.  From what I understand Adams and Washington are friends and teddy would help motivate Adams, Speed on the outside and power up the middle.  if you stop the inside run, and bounce the ball outside, good tacklers can make plays (which is why Posey needs to go)  I agree that on passing downs an inside rusher would be helpfull, hopefully Edwards can return, not sure if anyone remembers his 40 time out of college-I believe it was around 4.7-but that was 40 pounds ago.  One possible middle rounder is Wroten, who was arrested for pot, shortly after the bowl game.  So like Hawthorne did last year he should fall, and hopefully we can get him in the 4th otr 5th.

591904[/snapback]

Actually Wroten's drug charges were dropped That said his draft stock will probably fall and might be available later originally projected.Though from his draft previews he's a one gap DT. If looking at two gappers aside from Ngata and Watson, Babatunde Oshinowo from Stanford could be after Round 2.

whats your take?

591796[/snapback]

How about the NT from Green Bay who wants out?

I think his name is Grady Jackson.....

How about the NT from Green Bay who wants out?

I think his name is Grady Jackson.....

592001[/snapback]

He's due to be 32 coming opening day and has a history of knee injuries. IN weighing short amswers vs long term solutions I prefer going with a younger guy like PIckett.

I read the same article on the can this morning and it was quite insightful.

I do have a question/observation:

gray rotated the DTs a ton and I mean a TON. Dick J talks about using different players for different packages and building on players strengths, but the article also talked about consistency. I am wondering if DJ and the new DC, Fewell, will want to rotate DTs as much as the gregg williams/Dick LaBeau scheme that gray used???

It seems to me that half of Sam Adam's problems were with the "scheme" being used and the amount of rotation going on. I saw where either Kelsey or Denney were used at DT during third down situations while Sam Adams came out.

Many here talk about using Sam Adams as a NT in a 3-4 alignment. That is not the kind of player he is. A NT is all about plugging the running lane in the middle and to take on two blockers. Adams is a two gap type player that relies on another large DT to take the double teams, like Pat Williams. Adams IS quick of the ball and that quickness is used to break thru the o-line and either pressure the QB or to disrupt the runner in the backfield.

People are also high on Nagata. I'm not so sure. He seems to be a clone of Sam Adams rather than a complement. He relies on speed and his other DT to take double teams while he is a disruptive force in the backfield. Also, as with Sam Adams, he reminds me of a player where motivation is somewhat questionable. In other words, when he isn't being played the way HE thinks, he takes plays off.

This is only the impression I have based on two or three games I have seen him play in. Like in the one Bowl game, I think it was against Ohio, the DT next to Nagata was injured, and Nagata just never really played well after that.

If the rotation scheme is used again, will we see more of a fall off in the DTs, whether it be Nagata and/or Adams???? And overall, the Defense will suffer for it.

Actually Wroten's drug charges were dropped That said his draft stock will probably fall and might be available later originally projected.Though from his draft previews he's a one gap DT. If looking at two gappers aside from Ngata and Watson, Babatunde Oshinowo from Stanford could be after Round 2.

591995[/snapback]

Maybe they were dropped, but did you read the part about him having $3,200 in his wallet?

He actually sounds like more of a dealer than a user, no?