Johnnie Lynn

Lofton80

From Packers site 2004:

Johnnie Lynn (defensive backs/Ravens) - "Forges strong relationships with his players. Has coordinator experience with the Giants and spent this season in Baltimore. Was highly regarded until the Giants fell apart under Jim Fassel in 2003."

NFL.com 2004

The head coach only wants great teachers on the field, and when I watched Mike Singletary with the inside linebackers, Jim Colletto with the offensive line and Johnnie Lynn with the secondary, I knew Billick was happy with the level of instruction

From NFL.com 2002

Johnnie Lynn, New York Giants defensive coordinator

Lynn is one of the league's young coaches who's stock is rising fast. He replaced John Fox, who's now the head coach in Carolina. Lynn is an excellent communicator and brings great enthusiasm to practice, which rubs off on the Giants' players come game time. Facing the high-powered Rams on the road, Lynn's gameplan reduced Kurt Warner to one passing touchdown and two interceptions while holding Marshall Faulk under 100 yards rushing.

An interview about his strategies from NYGiants site

http://www.bigblueinteractive.com/intervie...terview0040.htm

From Packers site 2004:

Johnnie Lynn (defensive backs/Ravens) - "Forges strong relationships with his players. Has coordinator experience with the Giants and spent this season in Baltimore. Was highly regarded until the Giants fell apart under Jim Fassel in 2003."

NFL.com 2004

The head coach only wants great teachers on the field, and when I watched Mike Singletary with the inside linebackers, Jim Colletto with the offensive line and Johnnie Lynn with the secondary, I knew Billick was happy with the level of instruction

From NFL.com  2002

Johnnie Lynn, New York Giants defensive coordinator

Lynn is one of the league's young coaches who's stock is rising fast. He replaced John Fox, who's now the head coach in Carolina. Lynn is an excellent communicator and brings great enthusiasm to practice, which rubs off on the Giants' players come game time. Facing the high-powered Rams on the road, Lynn's gameplan reduced Kurt Warner to one passing touchdown and two interceptions while holding Marshall Faulk under 100 yards rushing.

An interview about his strategies from NYGiants site

http://www.bigblueinteractive.com/intervie...terview0040.htm

586260[/snapback]

Yawn. That was standard practice in Wade and Ted Cotrell's day.

Yawn. That was standard practice in Wade and Ted Cotrell's day.

586270[/snapback]

Yeah, but he was still a Colt in the Wade/Cottrell era. MarshallMarshallMarshall had decent numbers in Indy, but I never thought they used him as well as they could/should have...

Yeah, but he was still a Colt in the Wade/Cottrell era. MarshallMarshallMarshall had decent numbers in Indy, but I never thought they used him as well as they could/should have...

586271[/snapback]

Didn't your mom ever teach you? If you don't have something bad to say, don't say anything at all.

586271[/snapback]

:ph34r: he carried the colts on his back while manning learned the nfl game

586271[/snapback]

More on this, for the reading-comprehension impaired:

Faulk never averaged over 4.1 yards/carry in Indy, and the team never managed better than a 9-7 record. They give him -- GIVE HIM -- to the Rams for 2nd- and 5th-round picks; once in St. Louis, all he does is average well over 5 yards/carry his first three seasons and help lead the team to two Super Bowls (winning one).

Hence -- in my opinion, the Colts didn't use him as well as they could have.

Don't know how much simpler I can make it.

Faulk never averaged over 4.1 yards/carry in Indy, and the team never managed better than a 9-7 record. They give him -- GIVE HIM -- to the Rams for 2nd- and 5th-round picks; once in St. Louis, all he does is average well over 5 yards/carry his first three seasons and help lead the team to two Super Bowls (winning one).

586323[/snapback]

its all about team.....the rams offense was much the better hence offensive players numbers will rise.........

when youre one dimensional defenses can focus on your only dimension

stick to reporting the news cause your analysis stinks

its all about team.....the rams offense was much the better hence offensive players numbers will rise.........

586325[/snapback]

Rams offense sucked swamp water before Faulk got there, consistently ranking 20th or below. And the Colts had Marvin Harrison for three years before Faulk left.

Nice try, though. Ciao.

Never heard of Johnnie Lynn until right now. I have heard of Johnny Lam Jones. Used to be a WR for the Jets. Not the same guy, I guess. Johnnie Lynn sounds like the name of one of those guys that never won on Saturday Afternoon Maple Leaf Wrestling from back in the 1970's. "In this corner, undefeated over the last 7 years, standing 7 feet 5 inches and weighing 600lbs., Andre The Giant and his opponent, from San Antonio, Texas, with a career record of 0 and 70......Johnnie Lynn!" Whatever. Can we find a lesser known (i.e. CHEAP) DC please?

Rams offense sucked swamp water before Faulk got there, consistently ranking 20th or below. And the Colts had Marvin Harrison for three years before Faulk left.

Nice try, though. Ciao.

586332[/snapback]

Lori you must be crazy arguing facts with Johnny... He'll probably start a poll about it... :ph34r:

586325[/snapback]

let me put this in terms you possibly might understand Johnny:

HA HA PWNED!!!!LOL

Have a nice day.

586323[/snapback]

Fair enough. What, in your opinion, did St. Louis do differently to get him that higher average per carry? A better OL? More draw plays? Better choices of running plays? Fewer running plays; thereby encouraging the defense to focus on the pass first? I know any of these things could have led to that higher average, but I haven't watched many Rams games.

Fair enough. What, in your opinion, did St. Louis do differently to get him that higher average per carry? A better OL? More draw plays? Better choices of running plays? Fewer running plays; thereby encouraging the defense to focus on the pass first? I know any of these things could have led to that higher average, but I haven't watched many Rams games.

589009[/snapback]

Oversimplified answer: Lindy Infante's mindset vs. Dick Vermeil/MadMikeMartz's.

Both are hailed as offensive innovators, but I always thought DV/MMM did more to create mismatches Faulk could exploit -- lining him up wide, trying to get him out to the edge more often, etc. IMO, Infante (Colts OC, then HC) pigeonholed Faulk into more of a traditional RB role... he may have caught 50-some passes in most of his seasons under Infante, but I'd be willing to bet most of them were screens/dumpoffs.

Marshall's been one of my favorite players ever since ESPN started picking up his San Diego State games; he reminded me of Thurman, maybe even a little (gasp) better overall. (Faster, certainly.)

The game-breaking talent was always there, but I'm not sure he'd be a first-ballot Hall of Famer -- and there's no doubt about that, is there? -- had he spent much more time in Infante's offense.

Just my opinion...