The Jay Cutler Hype

With Chris Mortensen and all of ESPN gushing over Jay Cutler at the Senior Bowl practices, it got me thinking. The Jets need a QB and Leinart and Young will certainly be gone by the time they pick. But if Cutler is still there, maybe they pass on D'Brickshaw and take Cutler, allowing us to steal him with the #8 pick.

It's just a thought, I don't know anything. Truly, it's well documented how little I know.

With Chris Mortensen and all of ESPN gushing over Jay Cutler at the Senior Bowl practices, it got me thinking.  The Jets need a QB and Leinart and Young will certainly be gone by the time they pick.  But if Cutler is still there, maybe they pass on D'Brickshaw and take Cutler, allowing us to steal him with the #8 pick. 

It's just a thought, I don't know anything.  Truly, it's well documented how little I know.

585594[/snapback]

I'm holding out hope, for the sake of the Bills, that the Jets decide to stick with Pennington and his schoolgirl arm.

yes...maybe cutler getting knocked on his ass by onrushing defensive linemen will be better than Losman or Holcomb getting knocked on their ass by defensive linemen.

585606[/snapback]

I think you might have read the post wrong.

He's stating that maybe the Jets will pass on D'Brickashaw Ferguson for Jay Cutler. Thus allowing the Brick to fall to us.

Or maybe in some dream scenario Matt Leinart drops to 8.  That would be amazing, I'd gladly dump Losman for him, even though I like JP.  Leinart's just that good.

585610[/snapback]

but he isnt. leinhart has a noodle arm. cutler will be far and away the better pro than leinhart will be. Personally i'd take vince young before either.

I think you might have read the post wrong.

He's stating that maybe the Jets will pass on D'Brickashaw Ferguson for Jay Cutler. Thus allowing the Brick to fall to us.

585611[/snapback]

oh..in that case from his lips to God's ear. Ferguson would be just what we need. Another rookie quarterback would not be something we should waste a high pick on.

oh..in that case from his lips to God's ear.  Ferguson would be just what we need. Another rookie quarterback would not be something we should waste a high pick on.

585614[/snapback]

I agree.

But my nightmare scenario is the following draft, with no trade down partner:

1.) Houston - Reggie Bush, RB USC

2.) New Orleans - Matt Leinart, QB USC

3.) Tennessee - Vince Young, QB Texas

4.) New York Jets - D'Brickashaw Ferguson, OT Virginia

5.) Green Bay - A.J. Hawk, LB Ohio State

6.) San Francisco - Mario Williams, DE N.C. State

7.) Oakland - Haloti Ngata, DT Oregon

If Williams, Ngata, and Ferguson are off the board; there isn't another DT or OT worth taking at #8. Some could argue Tambla Hali may be worth #8, but I think that would be a tad of a stretch (anyone else would be a MAJOR stretch).

If there's no market for a trade, what would we do?

I agree.

If Williams, Ngata, and Ferguson are off the board; there isn't another DT or OT worth taking at #8. Some could argue Tambla Hali may be worth #8, but I think that would be a tad of a stretch (anyone else would be a MAJOR stretch).

585619[/snapback]

I think we all know the Vikings would simply choose not to make a pick.

I agree.

585619[/snapback]

personally i could care less how it is perceived -- if tambi hall (or any other player widely considered to be undraftable in the top 10) is our guy then just nab the guy at #8.......

i'd much prefer actually getting a player there and being laughed at over taking a "safe" pick and being scored high on the useless draft report cards.......

think the colts regret taking freeney? he was a stretch........how about the bengals taking jones? another reach.......

Eric Winston?  Certainly not an 8 so far, but he is good and fills a need. That would not be the best scenario for us.

585621[/snapback]

Write-up I saw yesterday, said Winston is not doing well and has dropped to late 1st, early 2nd. I see if I can find the link and post it here. If true, we had better not drop a #8 pick on him.

Another possibility in that there are plenty of OT's and DT's available in the late first and early second is to go for another area of real and immediate need. Reluctantly (because we NEED DT and OT so badly) might be to take Vernon Davis at Tight End. We have 1a needs (OT and DT) but tight end would be our 1b need. For me this would be a consideration given the above scenario and NO chance to trade down. Definitely a tough situation.

I agree.

585619[/snapback]

In that scenario, I'd be inclined to go with the CB Williams. In fact, if he is still there, I suspect there would be a market to move down with a trading partner.

Write-up I saw yesterday, said Winston is not doing well and has dropped to late 1st, early 2nd.  I see if I can find the link and post it here.  If true, we had better not drop a #8 pick on him.

585632[/snapback]

another criminal from the U with a torn up knee.

good thing TD is not directing the draft <_<

In that scenario, I'd be inclined to go with the CB Williams. In fact, if he is still there, I suspect there would be a market to move down with a trading partner.

585644[/snapback]

Trading partner or not- Marv will not trade on draft day

585644[/snapback]

If no #8 worthy big-uns are there, Williams has to be the pick, IMO. That or trade down.

I agree.

585619[/snapback]

that leave us with Kiawanuka, I´m all for it.

As I said on another post, I´ll be happy if we end up with one of the following

Hawk

Super Mario Williams

Haloti Ngata

Kiwi

Three of them would fill a need and Hawk while not so necessary, is too good to pass up.

I´m not worried

With Chris Mortensen and all of ESPN gushing over Jay Cutler at the Senior Bowl practices, it got me thinking.  The Jets need a QB and Leinart and Young will certainly be gone by the time they pick.  But if Cutler is still there, maybe they pass on D'Brickshaw and take Cutler, allowing us to steal him with the #8 pick. 

It's just a thought, I don't know anything.  Truly, it's well documented how little I know.

Interesting you mention this because...:

Jets | Team could pursue Cutler in the NFL Draft

Fri, 27 Jan 2006 06:51:26 -0800

Dave Hutchinson, of the Star-Ledger, reports the New York Jets under new head coach Eric Mangini may break tradition and consider drafting a quarterback in the first round of the NFL Draft. They are seriously considering selecting Vanderbilt QB Jay Cutler should they trade down from the fourth overall pick. At the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala., several Jets team representatives and scouts, including general manager Terry Bradway, had a lengthy dinner with Cutler Wednesday night, Jan. 25.