One whole day gone and so far nothing on Bates

D' men

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index...%3dclayton_john

"Bates considers offer from Bills: The Bills have offered former Packers defensive coordinator Jim Bates their defensive coordinator job. He is going to take Wednesday night to think about it, but the Bills have the last defensive coordinator job available. The Texans are expected to hire Frank Bush and Richard Smith as co-defensive coordinators, and once that deal is done, the Bills are the last chance for a coach to land a defensive coordinator job. For the moment, Bates' decision is whether to take the Bills offer or sit out the season under the Packers paycheck. "

Ok well, it's been a whole day and so far i've heard nothing about him being hired.

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index...%3dclayton_john

"Bates considers offer from Bills: The Bills have offered former Packers defensive coordinator Jim Bates their defensive coordinator job. He is going to take Wednesday night to think about it, but the Bills have the last defensive coordinator job available. The Texans are expected to hire Frank Bush and Richard Smith as co-defensive coordinators, and once that deal is done, the Bills are the last chance for a coach to land a defensive coordinator job. For the moment, Bates' decision is whether to take the Bills offer or sit out the season under the Packers paycheck. "

Ok well, it's pass wednesday night and so far i've heard nothing about him being hired.

584742[/snapback]

Oh billsboys...you so crazy!!

My guess is that complicated negotiations are going on.

It is not surprising that this would take a lot of time as both sides want to be tough to get the best deal they can, but also want to maintain a positive working relationship, because if the other side gets a bad feeling about the relationship they can simply walk away.

Bith sides have a lot of reasons they want this to work (for Bates it is the last NFL DC opening, but for the Bills Bates is a competent guy). However, they also have some good reasons why they should walk away from a bad deal.

If I am Bates, being Bills DC has some big negatives:

Jauron is a D guy which is nice in terms of my HC being interested in giving the D what it needs, however, Jauron has no O chops and he likely will want the D to be in his image and thus may meddle more than I want (for example Gray really ran an inappropriate GW D for our personnel, once liberated from GW's direction by TD bringing in LeBeau he quickly mastered the run blitz and called plays well in 2003 and ran the whole shooting match well in 2004.

If Bates comes here it is with the knowledge that rather than designing and running his system it will be to run Jauron's system.

However, if there is no other DC alternative it would seem that the walk-away for Bates is to go be a college HC. Indeintifying the correct alternative if he goes this way is complex.

If I am the Bills, I likely want Bates a lot as he is easily capable of doing the less complex task of running Jauron's D. As an interim HC he has managed much more complex tasks.

However, I now need to be pretty sure of the relationship with him as I want to be sure I can employ his extra capacuty in positive ways (if he and Jauron are confortable together he can be a great sounding board for HC Jauron.

It simply is going to take a little time for everyone to be sure that they can see how this works.

Well, first off we are assuming the initial report is true in the first place... Second, if he turned down the Bills, I wouldn't expect an announcement, since they never officially posted anything on the website anyway.

584844[/snapback]

Right on.

I will say that IF the report was accurate, since it's now late afternoon approaching early evening here in the east, the odds are probably increasing that Bates has decided to sit on his duff and collect his checks from the Pack. Or not. Who knows?

Actually, I would think Bates would want to come to Buffalo. Jauron's rep is that he lets his coaches coach, there IS a lot of talent on the Bills D, especially if Mt. Washington or Grady and Ngata are brought in, and Bates wants to be a HC. What better way to raise your profile than to take a D that crashed and burned and make a third team's D (after Miami and GB) ranked in the top 10 for a year or two. I'd be willing to bet its a cozy situation for a coordinator who wanted a higher profile to launch to a HC job.

So his options are

1) Work and Get paid

2) Dont work and get paid.

Doesnt seem like such a tough decision after all!

584859[/snapback]

Its a double edged sword. On one hand if he wants to eventually be a head coach, his best option is too take the bills dc job and further build his rep as a smart defensive coach. On the other hand he can sit out and get another dc job next year, but the odds someone will hire him as a head coach are between slim/none. I cant imagine a gm wanting to hire someone as a hc who's been out of the game for a full year. If I'm bates I'd take whatever job I'm offered right now.

Actually, I would think Bates would want to come to Buffalo.  Jauron's rep is that he lets his coaches coach, there IS a lot of talent on the Bills D, especially if Mt. Washington or Grady and Ngata are brought in, and Bates wants to be a HC.  What better way to raise your profile than to take a D that crashed and burned and make a third team's D (after Miami and GB) ranked in the top 10 for a year or two.  I'd be willing to bet its a cozy situation for a coordinator who wanted a higher profile to launch to a HC job.

584867[/snapback]

This is my view, provided he just didn't turn down the offer while I was typing this response. :)

I would add that this isn't just a crash and burn defense, but was the no.2 defense two years running before the double wammy of PW and TKO hit. With TKO possibly recovering and as you note, either a top FA or the no. 8 draft choice to correct the PW mistake, Bates could turn this D around overnight and virtually solidify that HC opportunity for next year.

Its a double edged sword. On one hand if he wants to eventually be a head coach, his best option is too take the bills dc job and further build his rep as a smart defensive coach.  On the other hand he can sit out and get another dc job next year, but the odds someone will hire him as a head coach are between slim/none.  I cant imagine a gm wanting to hire someone as a hc who's been out of the game for a full year.  If I'm bates I'd take whatever job I'm offered right now.

584875[/snapback]

watch houston. mcnair is the sort of guy who will pony up the dollars for assistants.

Right on. 

I will say that IF the report was accurate, since it's now late afternoon approaching early evening here in the east, the odds are probably increasing that Bates has decided to sit on his duff and collect his checks from the Pack.  Or not.  Who knows?

584854[/snapback]

I would have to agree with Campy here. There's a chance he's doing something or there's a chance he's doing nothing. He could be doing something that can be construed as doing nothing, but to be honest and not for nothing, that wouldn't be anything so much as it would be something that is considerably more than nothing.

And I don't mind sayin'. That's really something.

I would have to agree with Campy here. There's a chance he's doing something or there's a chance he's doing nothing. He could be doing something that can be construed as doing nothing, but to be honest and not for nothing, that wouldn't be anything so much as it would be something that is considerably more than nothing.

And I don't mind sayin'. That's really something.

:)

My guess is that complicated negotiations are going on.

It is not surprising that this would take a lot of time as both sides want to be tough to get the best deal they can, but also want to maintain a positive working relationship, because if the other side gets a bad feeling about the relationship they can simply walk away.

Bith sides have a lot of reasons they want this to work (for Bates it is the last NFL DC opening, but for the Bills Bates is a competent guy). However, they also have some good reasons why they should walk away from a bad deal.

If I am Bates, being Bills DC has some big negatives:

Jauron is a D guy which is nice in terms of my HC being interested in giving the D what it needs, however, Jauron has no O chops and he likely will want the D to be in his image and thus may meddle more than I want (for example Gray really ran an inappropriate GW D for our personnel, once liberated from GW's direction by TD bringing in LeBeau he quickly mastered the run blitz and called plays well in 2003 and ran the whole shooting match well in 2004.

If Bates comes here it is with the knowledge that rather than designing and running his system it will be to run Jauron's system.

However, if there is no other DC alternative it would seem that the walk-away for Bates is to go be a college HC.  Indeintifying the correct alternative if he goes this way is complex.

If I am the Bills, I likely want Bates a lot as he is easily capable of doing the less complex  task of running Jauron's D. As an interim HC he has managed much more complex tasks.

However, I now need to be pretty sure of the relationship with him as I want to be sure I can employ his extra capacuty in positive ways (if he and Jauron are confortable together he can be a great sounding board for HC Jauron.

It simply is going to take a little time for everyone to be sure that they can see how this works.

584780[/snapback]

Compicated negotiations?! It should be a no-brainer situation to hire him. Just slap down 1 million bucks in front of him and then he'll join for sure.