Lads and gents, your 2006 Bungling Bills!

Grant

Whether or not Dick Jauron is somehow able to achieve success in Buffalo is irrelevent to me at this point.

What the hire means to me is that, even without Tom Donahoe, this organization is still far too concerned with cronyism. Once again, our general manager has hired a head coach who clearly will not challenge the GM for power, is a personal friend of the GM and has (at best) a questionable resume.

From my perspective, the Bills have been more interested in hiring their friends rather than hiring the best person for the job.

Marv Levy once said something to the effect of, "If you do what the fans want, you end up sitting next to them." While I believe that to be mostly true, I think the fans have been more accurate with the past three coaching selections than our GMs.

In 2001, we wanted Marvin Lewis but got Gregg Williams. In 2004, we wanted Charlie Weis but got Mike Mularkey. In 2006, we wanted Mike Sherman but got Dick Jauron. Somehow I suspect the fans will have been right with this one again.

The problem is the fans don't have to work with Sherman, Marv and Ralph do. Why would anyone hire a coach or anyone for any type of position for that matter that you don't freel you can work with? Did Marv hire him becasue he's his friend or is he his friend because they share common opinion on how to build teams, pick players coaches etc.

Well said. Any head coach with a winning track record will want some control over personnel decisions. TD didn't want to give up control...we got GW and MM. Now we're stuck with another weak head coach. ML=TD.

The problem is the fans don't have to work with Sherman, Marv and Ralph do.  Why would anyone hire a coach or anyone for any type of position for that matter that you don't freel you can work with?  Did Marv hire him becasue he's his friend or is he his friend because they share common opinion on how to build teams, pick players coaches etc.

578811[/snapback]

Maybe Marv should base his hire upon who will put this pile of crap back together and put us back at the top of the division. I could care less about his comfort level. If he wanted to be comfortable and surrounded by friends he could have bought a condo in Palm Beach.

The problem is the fans don't have to work with Sherman, Marv and Ralph do.  Why would anyone hire a coach or anyone for any type of position for that matter that you don't freel you can work with?  Did Marv hire him becasue he's his friend or is he his friend because they share common opinion on how to build teams, pick players coaches etc.

578811[/snapback]

I believe that the problem is about the organization of power within the organization. A head coach needs to have power in order to command respect. Lately, our general managers have been hoarding the power and have not been allowing the head coaches as much power as other HCs in terms of hiring/firing and player selection.

Take a look at the coaches in this year's Super Bowl. Or any Super Bowl. How many Super Bowl coaches were as powerless as Williams and Mularkey? None that I can immediately think of.

Why is a head coach with power important? It's a single, unified vision. The head coach is in control over how the team plays on the field and who is brought in and shipped out. If you don't play well or land in the coach's dog house, you may not be on the team for long.

Overall, I think the Bills have been avoiding hiring strong, powerful coaches who virtually guarantee success (Lewis and Weis especially) in favor of cronies who they are certain won't oust them from their position as general manager.

578811[/snapback]

The fans are the ultimate shareholders of the team, much like any publicly traded corporation. It is management's job to put the best product on the field, which takes priority over relationships. There are a lot of successful people that are difficult to work with, Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Bill Bellichick, Parcels, etc., however, they get the job done day-in and day out. Frankly, a good manager should look for somebody with opposing ideas in order to create a healthy check and balance and create an environment where issues are dealt with more thoroughly. Instead we consistently hire “yes” men that forgo the benefit of the team in order to satisfy the person above them in organization chart.

Winning is clearly a secondary motive at OBD. This hiring doesn’t surprise me in the least bit, hiring a competent individual would have been the bigger surprise.

578811[/snapback]

The problem with your logic is somehow assuming that because Marv and Ralph chose Jauron, that they couldn't imagine working with Sherman. With that kind of thought process, Jauron shouldn't be our coach because he was a previous applicant for the Bills head coaching gig but didn't cut it.

Jauron took a Detroit team, and under his tutelage the defense became worse. Bates took a defense that lost some players (Sharper, for example) and they played pretty darn well. Bates also di well in Miami. Jauron's coaching stint in Chicago was mediocre at best. A lot of the fans in Chicago wanted his head on a platter.

I'm trying to get an example of where Jauron actually did something to hang his hat on, but all I see is a journeyman coach who goes from one average job to the other. Every time I see his picture on this website I can help but think "Ugh."

I hope I'm wrong, but I have a feeling I'll be saying "I told you so" around late October next year.

Winning is clearly a secondary motive at OBD. This hiring doesn’t surprise me in the least bit, hiring a competent individual would have been the bigger surprise.

578852[/snapback]

you really think marv came out of retirement with his HOF legend to NOT win?

Overall, I think the Bills have been avoiding hiring strong, powerful coaches who virtually guarantee success (Lewis and Weis especially) in favor of cronies who they are certain won't oust them from their position as general manager.

578826[/snapback]

Or cost $3 million+ per year.

The problem with your logic is somehow assuming that because Marv and Ralph chose Jauron, that they couldn't imagine working with Sherman. With that kind of thought process, Jauron shouldn't be our coach because he was a previous applicant for the Bills head coaching gig but didn't cut it.

Jauron took a Detroit team, and under his tutelage the defense became worse. Bates took a defense that lost some players (Sharper, for example) and they played pretty darn well. Bates also di well in Miami. Jauron's coaching stint in Chicago was mediocre at best. A lot of the fans in Chicago wanted his head on a platter.

I'm trying to get an example of where Jauron actually did something to hang his hat on, but all I see is a journeyman coach who goes from one average job to the other. Every time I see his picture on this website I can help but think "Ugh."

I hope I'm wrong, but I have a feeling I'll be saying "I told you so" around late October next year.

578855[/snapback]

And I can hear the "Jarhead" refernces to Jauron coming.

you really think marv came out of retirement with his HOF legend to NOT win?

578859[/snapback]

I'm sure everyone at One Bills Drive wants to win. I extremely doubtful that everyone at OBD wants to win at the possible expense of themselves.

I'm sure everyone at One Bills Drive wants to win. I extremely doubtful that everyone at OBD wants to win at the possible expense of themselves.

578888[/snapback]

could you take off your acting pants and put on your analrapist hat and run that by me again? :rolleyes:

If we were talking about Bill Parcells vs. Dick Jauron or Jon Gruden vs. Dick Jauron, I would agree with you. However, we are talking about Mike Sherman. MIKE SHERMAN people. This guy had one of the great quarterbacks of this era and some solid offensive weapons, yet couldn't get his team deep into the playoffs. He took over a team that was two years removed from winning the NFC and managed to produce a winning record. Very impressive indeed and my hats off to him -- I would have loved to see him come to Buffalo. Jauron, on the other hand, walked into a dump of a team. It took years of drafting and free agent signees to overcome that. Sherman, on the other hand, was in a position to win right away. After serving one year as head coach, he was HANDED the general managers job after Ron Wolf retired. He must have had a great deal of front office experience, right? Wrong.

Point here is that Sherman is not THAT much of a slam dunk over Jauron. Get over it.

Whether or not Dick Jauron is somehow able to achieve success in Buffalo is irrelevent to me at this point.

What the hire means to me is that, even without Tom Donahoe, this organization is still far too concerned with cronyism.  Once again, our general manager has hired a head coach who clearly will not challenge the GM for power, is a personal friend of the GM and has (at best) a questionable resume.

From my perspective, the Bills have been more interested in hiring their friends rather than hiring the best person for the job.

Marv Levy once said something to the effect of, "If you do what the fans want, you end up sitting next to them."  While I believe that to be mostly true, I think the fans have been more accurate with the past three coaching selections than our GMs. 

In 2001, we wanted Marvin Lewis but got Gregg Williams.  In 2004, we wanted Charlie Weis but got Mike Mularkey.  In 2006, we wanted Mike Sherman but got Dick Jauron. Somehow I suspect the fans will have been right with this one again.

578791[/snapback]

If we were talking about Bill Parcells vs. Dick Jauron or Jon Gruden vs. Dick Jauron, I would agree with you.  However, we are talking about Mike Sherman.  MIKE SHERMAN people.  This guy had one of the great quarterbacks of this era and some solid offensive weapons, yet couldn't get his team deep into the playoffs.  He took over a team that was two years removed from winning the NFC and managed to produce a winning record.  Very impressive indeed and my hats off to him -- I would have loved to see him come to Buffalo.  Jauron, on the other hand, walked into a dump of a team.  It took years of drafting and free agent signees to overcome that.  Sherman, on the other hand, was in a position to win right away.  After serving one year as head coach, he was HANDED the general managers job after Ron Wolf retired.  He must have had a great deal of front office experience, right?  Wrong. 

Point here is that Sherman is not THAT much of a slam dunk over Jauron.  Get over it.

578970[/snapback]

Nobody thought Sherman was the next Parcells.

But he had a consistent winning record. Was consistently in the playoffs. Maybe he never went deep, but neither has Tony Dungy. Both men are head-and-shoulders above Jauron, who has been consistently mediocre-to-bad. Yeah, Jauron walked into a dump of a team, but it was also a dump of a team when he left. So what good did he do?

See, that's where I disagree.

If you are going to say that the Bears were a dump after Jauron left, then you also have to agree that the Packers are a dump after Sherman left. Both Jauron and Sherman's teams suffered losing seasons for reasons beyond their control. Sherman lost a few linemen to free agency, his #1 receiver and top 2 running backs. Jauron lost the league's premier linebacker, his top 2 QBs (one of which was CADE MCNOWN), and his #1 running back.

I'm not going to sit here and claim that Jauron holds the key to success. I don't know the answer to that question. But I really don't think that Sherman is that much better than Jauron.

Yeah, Jauron walked into a dump of a team, but it was also a dump of a team when he left. So what good did he do?

579083[/snapback]