If You Thought Caldwell Really Iterviewed For OC

JDG

That doesn't mean anything. The Colts could still have given permission for him to interview for the OC position. And since Dungy has been vocal about the lack of minorities being hired to higher-level coaching jobs, I doubt he's deny Caldwell an opportunity to move up the coaching ranks and closer to a HC'ing gig. Especially seeing as how Tom Moore doesn't appear to be going anywhere.

Most teams will allow other teams to interview their assistants for an upward-move job (tho not for a sideways move).

It's a courtesy thing plus you don't want those assistants to harbor feelings such as "These $%#%^s kept me from getting the OC job!" Coaches aren't happy that their staff gets raided, but most accept that it's going to happen and they're happy that the person is getting an opportunity.

I agree,that doesn't mean much.. Consider the idea that you call a team and ask to interview a guy with the idea that it will be for HC,you have not officially hired one,so they really can't say no..So you bring the guy in,discuss the chances of being a HC and then pose the idea of being something different for the team in the event the team goes in another direction for HC..

The Bucs also denied other teams permission to interview DL coach Marinelli for DC jobs... if he'd gone somewhere else in the interim, he might already have been a HC by now instead of just getting the Detroit job.

Just because one franchise jerks its assistant coaches around doesn't mean everyone else has to...

The Bucs denied permission for their LB Coach to interview for the Detroit DC position.  Under new NFL rules, teams are only required to grant permission for HC opportunities.

JDG

576905[/snapback]

There seems to be a logical disconnect in your post JDG. Gray is still our DC and we're letting him interview for other jobs (DC and HC, i imagine). Just because Tampa isn't letting one of their coaches interview means nothing when we're talking about Indy and you KNOW that. As you said

"teams are only REQUIRED to grant permission for HC opportunities."

So what's this REALLY all about?

The Bucs denied permission for their LB Coach to interview for the Detroit DC position.  Under new NFL rules, teams are only required to grant permission for HC opportunities.

JDG

576905[/snapback]

Who said the Colts were "required" to give permission to Buffalo? C'mon, man; Gruden is a jackass. You can name the NFL head coaches on one hand who would be dicks and not let their position coaches interview for promotions with other teams, regardless of what the NFL tells them they can or can't do.

Who said the Colts were "required" to give permission to Buffalo?  C'mon, man; Gruden is a jackass.  You can name the NFL head coaches on one hand who would be dicks and not let their position coaches interview for promotions with other teams, regardless of what the NFL tells them they can or can't do.

576923[/snapback]

The Colts do, indeed, have to give permission for Caldwell to interview for the OC. There's no question about that.

Of course, all you have to do to get around any objections is to say the interview is for the HC (wink, wink...nudge, nudge). Then a few days after the interview you say, "Well, we've found our HC, but how would you like to come here as our OC. <_<

The Colts do, indeed, have to give permission for Caldwell to interview for the OC.  There's no question about that.

Of course, all you have to do to get around any objections is to say the interview is for the HC (wink, wink...nudge, nudge).  Then a few days after the interview you say, "Well, we've found our HC, but how would you like to come here as our OC.  <_<

576934[/snapback]

Man, we are just not on the same page at all today. I'm not disagreeing with the fact that the Colts could deny Caldwell permission to interview for anything other than a HC position. I'm saying that only a handful of organizations are such jackasses that they will deny their guys a chance to interview for promotions, REGARDLESS of the NFL rules.

Man, we are just not on the same page at all today.  I'm not disagreeing with the fact that the Colts could deny Caldwell permission to interview for anything other than a HC position.  I'm saying that only a handful of organizations are such jackasses that they will deny their guys a chance to interview for promotions, REGARDLESS of the NFL rules.

576949[/snapback]

i hear ya now. I thought you were questioning the necessity of getting permission...and, as you can see, we agree that TB's refusal means nothing when talking about the Colts.