Just Hire Sherman And Get It Over With - Please!

Seriously, what is the big hold up? There are just too many reasons to hire Sherman:

1) Record

2) Gets respect of players

3) coached Favre who some experts were comparing to young Losman

4) Is fond of Losman right off the bat

5) Could bring in Bates as DC

6) coming from a town that rotates around football just like Buffalo

7) He is a PROVEN WINNER

8) The bills play Bears, Green Bay, Detroit and Minnesota next year (hey it's a stretch but it is a positive)

#9 HE IS THE BEST REMAINING TALENT OUT THERE!!! Just hire him already.......

Seriously, what is the big hold up? There are just too many reasons to hire Sherman:

1) Record

7) He is a PROVEN WINNER

8) The bills play Bears, Green Bay, Detroit and Minnesota next year (hey it's a stretch but it is a positive)

#9 HE IS THE BEST REMAINING TALENT OUT THERE!!!  Just hire him already.......

575261[/snapback]

While these are all great points Baumer I think that you summed it up with #7. When was the last time a HC with a track record like his was fired after one losing season? I think that we wil all be disappointed if Ralph and Marv do not hire Sherman.

While these are all great points Baumer I think that you summed it up with #7. When was the last time a HC with a track record like his was fired after one losing season? I think that we wil all be disappointed if Ralph and Marv do not hire Sherman.

575267[/snapback]

He was fired for his horrific track record running the front office, which directly led to a lack of depth at many key positions, contributing to that losing season.

That doesn't affect him as a head coach, but let's set the record straight.

I cannot explain how much this is torturing me. This is the most important decision (in myopinion) in the past ten years. This decision by Marv and Co. will have a very serious effect as to how I view Bills football and the men running the organization. The next press conference is going to let me know how much ownership is dedicated to winning. I beg of you Marv and Ralph - steer us in the right direction. I know how much the Bills mean to Buffalo and everyone on this board which is why I am truly crossing my fingers that the right man is hired for the job. Again, it is only my opinion but is there really anyone else out there that should be heading up this team?

He was fired for his horrific track record running the front office, which directly led to a lack of depth at many key positions, contributing to that losing season.

575272[/snapback]

Well, to be fair, he wasn't the GM who let his interior line walk. And how many teams have great fourth string RBs and 5th string WRs and 4th string TEs. I'm not at all saying that he was a great GM, or even a good one. But every team in the league would have caved with all the injuries they had on offense, unable to block or run or catch.

575272[/snapback]

I am not familiar enough with his moves as GM to comment. However, the loss of two offensive lineman through free agency, 4 starting running backs to injury, 1 pro bowl wide receiver to injury, and a Pro Bowl QB that had his worst season since his 1st year as a starter would be tough for any coach or GM to overcome.

I've got to agree that Sherman is the best out there (certainly the best of the old boys we've been looking at!) and we had better lock him down pretty clearly.

I'm optimistic with him. He has that number 7 quality (WINNING) and not a bunch of excuses over five years. This year, the one where he didn't win, does actually sound based on pretty good situations. At leas the excuses aren't excuses for a piss poor career record but for a one season aberration.

I'm hoping serious negotiations are ongoing and the continued "negotiations" are leverage in bargaining.

575272[/snapback]

If the Bills had half the injuries that Sherman dealt with last year, we would all be discussing who Buffalo will be picking at the # 1 spot.

He has not been impressive in the playoffs, has never been known as a creative head coach, wants more power than he should have (according to some reports) and inherited the key player to his four playoff seasons.  There is a case against this guy, you know.

575348[/snapback]

There are always going to be cases against every candidate but the main issue is that he has the fewest flaws out of them all. It is obvious that the Bills brass is going to hire someone with previous head coaching experience and he is heads and tails above his competition

He has not been impressive in the playoffs, has never been known as a creative head coach, wants more power than he should have (according to some reports) and inherited the key player to his four playoff seasons.  There is a case against this guy, you know.

575348[/snapback]

Every coach has a knock against them (except for maybe Belicheck.) Shanahan won two SB's in a row and people were calling for his head in Denver last year. Cowher hasn't won a Championship in 13 yrs. Holmgreen was on the chopping block prior to the season. Herm Edwards was not going to be welcomed back to the Jets. Tony Dungy's teams meltdown in the playoffs. I would still take anyone of these guys to coach the Bills and I would rather have Mike Sherman than any of our other options.

1) Record

7) He is a PROVEN WINNER

#9 HE IS THE BEST REMAINING TALENT OUT THERE!!!  Just hire him already.......

575261[/snapback]

#10 $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Will Ralph go for it?

I have three schools fo thought...

1. As we've mentioned, this is the most important decision that Marv and Ralph will make. Thus, there is nothing wrong with being VERY thorough here and interviewing every logical candidate.

2. Maybe the golden boys are stalling a bit on purpose. There is only one other vacancy out there -- and maybe they want the Raiders to fill that first. Then there will be no other competetion and the Bills will hold all of the cards. Of course, the flaw to this line of thinking is that Sherman, for example, does have some leverage in the sense that he can just sit on his rear-end this year and still collect the $3.25 M that Green Bay owes him.

3. Maybe there is still someone coaching in the playoffs that they are waiting on. Whisenhunt? Grimm? Kubiak? (I know he's supposedly on his way to Houston, but...) After all, Mularkey's delayed decision cost them the opportunity to interview prospective coaches during that allowable first week of the playoffs.

Like everbody else, I'm sitting on pins and needles here -- and am very anxious. Still, if taking a few extra days means uncovering a better candidate, then I am all for it. Let's just hope that after all of this deliberation, we don't wind up with someone as lightweight as Jauron.

There are always going to be cases against every candidate but the main issue is that he has the fewest flaws out of them all.  It is obvious that the Bills brass is going to hire someone with previous head coaching experience and he is heads and tails above his competition

575362[/snapback]

Every coach has a knock against them (except for maybe Belicheck.) Shanahan won two SB's in a row and people were calling for his head in Denver last year. Cowher hasn't won a Championship in 13 yrs. Holmgreen was on the chopping block prior to the season. Herm Edwards was not going to be welcomed back to the Jets. Tony Dungy's teams meltdown in the playoffs. I would still take anyone of these guys to coach the Bills and I would rather have Mike Sherman than any of our other options.

575367[/snapback]

First off, I support this guy. I'm just playing devil's advocate. But I think the key to understand is that we like Sherman because he has the most wins, not the fewest flaws. Imagine if we wrote off Belichik coming off his Cleveland stint because of his record. Or Shanahan coming off a rocky Oakland stint. Or cowher because he was only a special teams coach. Or Holmgren (when hired in GB) because he was inexperienced. And Dungy? I don't know. He seems a lot like Sherman to me - wins with talented teams that shouldn't necessarily be credited to him and doesn't win when it counts. Is anyone really impressed that Dungy won 13 games with the talent Polian assembled? But I digress. I don't think Sherman is a slam dunk, but he is the best available - by a narrow margin.