Handicapping the Bills coach selection

Lothar

McCarthy wanted Bates to stay on as DC but apparently Bates wasn't happy after 2 interviews with the guy. I knew he wasn't staying with Green Bay, didn't know it was his choice. I'm sorry - don't have a link, I saw it on one of the Packer news boards.

Here's the way I see our coach selection conundrum: I really think you can be a good coach but not have the skills or knowledge to choose a good staff. I actually think Donahoe's biggest mistake with GW was letting Williams pick his own staff of teachers based on how confident Greggo seemed at his interview. Malarkey, I believe, deferred that role to Donahoe and we got some pretty good coaches in here (including Mcnally and April).

If we can trust Levy to keep our good coaches - something I think they will mandate to the new head guy - my take on the different candidates play out as follows:

Do we play to the strength of our team and hire a defensive minded coach like Jauron or Rivera? We're a big DT and healthy Spikes away from being a very good defense again. My worry is that a whole new system will set the D back a couple years. If we hire an offensive minded coach, we'd better get a good DC - it seems as though there are more of these available currently. Also, does the fact that Marv has little pro personnel management experience mean he needs a stronger coach - i.e, Sherman over a Saunders

Sherman - 2:1

Positives - experience as NFL head coach, Holmgren tutelage, comes from a winning program that made playoffs 4 times, offensive minded, will probably bring one of the better D-coords in the game in Bates (who uses a 4-3 so one would think our personnel could work under him), appears to work well with a veteran team, has had a very good OL until this year when salary cap forced letting loose 2 good linemen, good community guy

Negatives - questionable personnel calls when he had GM role, is not considered a "developer of young talent" by much of the media and fans in Green Bay, much of his success can be traced to Favre's success - not convinced of his impact, seems rooted in WCO - will that hinder Losman's development?, not very successful in playoffs

Jauron - 5:1

Positives - experience as NFL head coach, had 1 miracle season for Bears and became coach of the year, is one of the most intelligent and well-respected defensive minds in the game (defenses usually among the top 3rd of the league), well-liked among the players,

Negatives - had 3 sucky seasons following his COY award, will need to hire a good OC (not as many available), not very charismatic

AL Saunders - 10:1 my personal favorite though not sure he is on Bills' radar

Positives - experience as NFL head coach (of Chargers from '86-'88), great offensive pedigree under both Martz and Vermeil (arguably the coach of NFL's best offense the past 5 years), 23 years as an NFL coach, could groom OC or bring over assistants with his successful philosophy, good DCs are plentiful this year, would probably be a good judge of JP's future potential, believes in a strong running game yet presided over the 'greatest show on turf' in '99 and '00.

Negatives - no RECENT HC experience, will need plenty of help from a good DC, there MUST be some reason he hasn't been a top candidate these last several years, looks like Rams have put him at the top of their list

Jim Haslett - 12:1

Positives - experience as NFL head coach, made playoffs and won a postseason game for hapless Saints, has ties to Bills, wants to coach in Buffalo, has solid defensive background with successful Steeler teams

Negatives - Saints haven't been a disciplined team during his tenure (regularly classified as underachievers), doesn't help that he ticked off Bills brass with his "Hull on steroids" comment

Ted Cottrell - 20:1

Positives - well-liked, well-respected DC of the Bills and then the Vikes, has connections to Levy, had a top 5 defense as Bills DC

Negatives - plays a safe defense that does not generate lots of turnovers, was used to running 3-4 under Wade Phillips, took flak from Vikings at mid-season for having predictable defense, did not do well as Jets coord - needed 'his' players in Minnesota to succeed

The Field - 20:1

Mike Singletary - asst. head coach of Niners

Ron Rivera - Bears DC

George Siefert - was seen at Buffalo airport

Marv Levy - like Cheney did with Bush, might survey field and say I'm the best candidate

I heard on NFL network if Sherman is hired he is bringing Bates with him as DC. Adam Shefter reported it.

I'm not surprised by this. I also an not surprised that Bates turned-down the Packers' DC job. I wouldn't want to coach that bunch, and especially wouldn't want to be an assistant under a first-time HC who ran a lousy offense the year before yet somehow STILL got the job. <_<