The (Evil) SportsCenter Effect

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to be funny yet sometimes after I type a post and hit enter, it turns out not only wasn't it funny, it was quite stupid. It's a funny thing trying to be funny. Maybe the problem is what is funny in person, isn't funny on a message board. Maybe we should have a poll on who is good at being funny and only those posters will be allowed to humor the rest of us. Everybody else has to be dead serious when they post...no funniness, no sarcasm, no being a smarty pants, nothing!

I'm not even sure if I'm trying to be funny with this post. Help me I'm so confused.

<_<

I want to be funny yet sometimes after I type a post and hit enter, it turns out not only wasn't it funny, it was quite stupid.  It's a funny thing trying to be funny.  Maybe the problem is what is funny in person, isn't funny on a message board.  Maybe we should have a poll on who is good at being funny and only those posters will be allowed to humor the rest of us.  Everybody else has to be dead serious when they post...no funniness, no sarcasm, no being a smarty pants, nothing!

I'm not even sure if I'm trying to be funny with this post.  Help me I'm so confused.

<_<

573315[/snapback]

You're among friends here brother, give us a hug.

Once upon a time, a decade or two ago, ESPN was just starting. They hired a few guys named Chris Berman and Dan Patrick and Keith Olberman, who once upon a time were fairly humorous in a smartalecky kind of way. It was a little new (for sports), a little goofy, and it worked great. ESPN and SportsCenter became a phenomenon.

Unfortunately, Berman and Patrick and Olberman ruined sports forever by being sporadically mildly amusing.

Now, everyone on SportsCenter tries to be funny, like them, but they are not like them, and are not funny, and sound like complete morons.

And the same thing has happened to our lovable TSW.

There were and are a couple witty, mildly amusing old timers (and, admittedly, a couple of new timers) that once upon a time made TSW a great place for wisecracks and Pythonesque abuse, and they, unfortuntely, because they were funny, made this place nearly unbearable. Now, every tard on the coaster tries to be funny.

Except you tards forgot one thing. You're not funny. You're Stuart Scott.

So remember. If you're trying to be funny, make sure you're funny.

(To those here who are actually funny, carry on.)

573106[/snapback]

but ... stuart scott is insufferable!!! talk about annoying smart alecks.

Maybe we should have threads be marked like the FDA does with drugs.  Kelly can mark all the ones he approves of so we know which ones to avoid.

573321[/snapback]

I am not, and never was, the final arbiter. I wasn't at all trying to say if you make me laugh, you're funny. The final arbiter is really what can only be called, "The Tardthink". But I will say, and this is only one man's opinion, you're digging yourself a rather large hole.

i'll be serious in all the rest of my posts...

but i post so infrequently that nobody will even notice....

is that funny?

573322[/snapback]

I thought that was funny, but apparently I'm not funny, which begs this question:

Funny = funny

not funny = not funny

not funny + funny = ?

I'm pretty sure not funny + not funny = funny. Kind of like how a double-negative works.

I disagree, that wasn't funny.

573325[/snapback]

Actually, it was. See, just on the surface, isolated, that line would not have been funny at all. But he was alluding to a post I had months and months ago, I believe in a thread where everyone explained what they did for a living. And I had explained how I worked in the film business in LaLaland, and I told everyone before they even started that their idea for a movie was not funny, but were all, indeed, terrible. So the fact the Carp Heaving Donkey pulled that reference out of nowhere, and very timely, to add a little relevant sarcasm to this thread, made it funny. Perhaps only a very small percentage got it, but it was funny nonetheless.

I am not, and never was, the final arbiter. I wasn't at all trying to say if you make me laugh, you're funny. The final arbiter is really what can only be called, "The Tardthink". But I will say, and this is only one man's opinion, you're digging yourself a rather large hole.

573335[/snapback]

You are an idiot.

Just kidding.

This is an attempted use of a pun and is seriously not funny, being as how puns are the lowest rung on the joke ladder.

573368[/snapback]

'seriously not funny' is redundant. Like 'suicide in Buffalo'.

This is pretty funny:

Why do women have two sets of lips?

So they can piss and moan at the same time.

House! You were lucky to live in a house! We used to live in one room, all twentysix of us, no furniture, half the floor was missing, and we were all huddled together in one corner for fear of falling.

573413[/snapback]

Luxury!

House! You were lucky to live in a house! We used to live in one room, all twentysix of us, no furniture, half the floor was missing, and we were all huddled together in one corner for fear of falling.

573413[/snapback]

I had to get up in the morning at 10 o'clock at night half an hour before I went to bed... eat a lump of dry poison... work twenty-nine hours a day down at the mill, and when we got home, our dad would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah!

You can't tell the young people of the day that... They won't believe you.

Dog -- i am curious what led to this Jerry Maguire like soliloquy...was it all the inane airport threads or the deep inside source threads or a combo....Timing is essential is humor--the first is funny--the 100th--not so much...