The Head Coaches Delegate, Manage..

Mark VI

It's the Asst. Coaches, beginning with the Coordinators, that work with the talent and run the gameplan. Those are the key hires.

Running to the Bridge to leap upon the Bills HC hire makes no sense. My boss couldn't find the bathroom without a map. He's completely dependent on us to run the place.

So go ahead and express your opinions over which guy you would like to run the Bills. He's only a slave to the help he surrounds himself with.

Stating a certain choice will suck is nothing more than playing the drama queen. The only measure is wins and losses, which is 8 months away. Hell, I gave Mularkey a chance and the next guy will be granted that same window.

It's the Asst. Coaches, beginning with the Coordinators, that work with the talent and run the gameplan. Those are the key hires.

Running to the Bridge to leap upon the Bills HC hire makes no sense. My boss couldn't find the bathroom without a map. He's completely dependent on us to run the place.

So go ahead and express your opinions over which guy you would like to run the Bills. He's only a slave to the help he surrounds himself with.

Stating a certain choice will suck is nothing more than playing the drama queen. The only measure is wins and losses, which is 8 months away. Hell, I gave Mularkey a chance and the next guy will be granted that same window.

572205[/snapback]

We have a winner!!! :blink:

yes and no... Coach Levy made sure the buses ran on time and was generally pleasant to be around.

Parcells, Gibbs, Belichek... those guys provide more detailed direction on how to defeat the next opponent. They keep their coordinators in check, incase they come up with things that won't work in their estimation. As HC's they display week in and week out why they know more than their underlings (and their counterparts across the field).

Personally, I would rather have a guy who is smart enough and knows the game/opponent well enough to provide key input every Sunday than someone who just walks the sidelines yelling for the punt team every now and then.

yes and no...  Coach Levy made sure the buses ran on time and was generally pleasant to be around.

Parcells, Gibbs, Belichek... those guys provide more detailed direction on how to defeat the next opponent.  They keep their coordinators in check, incase they come up with things that won't work in their estimation.  As HC's they display week in and week out why they know more than their underlings (and their counterparts across the field). 

Personally, I would rather have a guy who is smart enough and knows the game/opponent well enough to provide key input every Sunday than someone who just walks the sidelines yelling for the punt team every now and then.

572243[/snapback]

You want a head coach and not a head cheerleader?

572205[/snapback]

That's why it's critical that the HC have good connections and a good enough reputation to bring in top quality assistants.

Not sure if Bates would come with Sherman, but you could do a lot worse with him as your DC.

572205[/snapback]

how come a lot of teams allow others to talk with coordinators while they have big games coming up.....guess you can trust some guys , but ron rivera didnt prepare his team at all......500 something plus yards against that defense.. :blink:

kinda like that ole johnny cash song.....i dont want rivera walking the sidelines in buffalo unless he's on the visitors side

572243[/snapback]

and then if your Dungy, after all that yelling, Manning tells the punt team to get off the field :blink:

572205[/snapback]

Well said. A good GM, talent on the field, good assistant coaches, a little luck--all these are factors that affect whether a coach is successful or not. Hence, you cannot judge a coach simply on the basis of his record. NO! You must look at the way he ran managed the team, the record of his decisions, how he carried himself, etc.

You want a head coach and not a head cheerleader?

572247[/snapback]

In one sentence - that is EXACTLY what I mean and highlights my issues with Marv.

I guess I shouldn't rag on Levy for being who he is, just like I don't rag on Parrish for being who he is. They can't help it. They are who they are and they are doing the best that can given their limited abilities. I was just always resentful that our opponents in the big game had a head coach providing added value and direction that allowed them to beat us.

My position is that if we had a head coach that was on par with our opponents, one who could provide that added value, that direction, that knowledge of a weakness we could exploit, that we would have won those big games.

Marv was a wonderful head cheerleader that made everyone feel warm and fuzzy after the SB losses. Well, in my book, that is like the admiring the orphan who pulls himself together after he killed his parents...

In one sentence - that is EXACTLY what I mean and highlights my issues with Marv.

I guess I shouldn't rag on Levy for being who he is, just like I don't rag on Parrish for being who he is.  They can't help it.  They are who they are and they are doing the best that can given their limited abilities.  I was just always resentful that our opponents in the big game had a head coach providing added value and direction that allowed them to beat us.

My position is that if we had a head coach that was on par with our opponents, one who could provide that added value, that direction, that knowledge of a weakness we could exploit,  that we would have won those big games. 

Marv was a wonderful head cheerleader that made everyone feel warm and fuzzy after the SB losses.  Well, in my book, that is like the admiring the orphan who pulls himself together after he killed his parents...

572270[/snapback]

scott - do you think don shula was a good coach?

yes and no...  Coach Levy made sure the buses ran on time and was generally pleasant to be around.

Parcells, Gibbs, Belichek... those guys provide more detailed direction on how to defeat the next opponent.  They keep their coordinators in check, incase they come up with things that won't work in their estimation.  As HC's they display week in and week out why they know more than their underlings (and their counterparts across the field). 

572243[/snapback]

Parcells has done well ever since Belicheck left his side.

No wait...no he hasn't.

Belichick may be the one exception.

No wait...no he hasn't.

572280[/snapback]

Parcells did poorly this year? Most here think that Bledsoe sucks, yet he lined up behind a rookie 5th round RT and a rookie udfa LT for half of the season and won 9 games; this in a tough division. Think Parcells helped? :blink:

How many rookies started on defense? I know of at least 2.

Sorry, I would take Parcells any day of the week.

Dennis Miller put it best, I think, when he stated that the most successful people in the world got that way because they surrounded themselves with smart, competent people like a hole surrounds itself with a donut.

To me, the key to being a successful leader is doing almost exactly as you say, Mark, except I would add that the leader generally develops the plan with his/her top assistants. What makes everyone successful collectively is that each and every person in the organization follow three critical rules:

1) Know your role

2) Accept your role

3) Execute your role

The most challenging of all of those is number 2. You must completely accept the role that you are in and not focus on any other aspects of the organziation, trusting that others will handle those issues. You can not waiver from your role, and if at any time you question your acceptance of your role, you must leave that role.

It works, but it's not an easy thing to put together. You must have people with you who buy into it and are ready to collectively go after the same goal.

What kind of a question is that? C'mon dave, tell us where you are going.  :blink:  :w00t:

572278[/snapback]

as bills coach, marv has the following records against these three legends, including playoff games:

18-8 v. shula

8-5 v. parcells

1-0 v. belichick

2-2 v. jimmy johnson

0-3 v. gibbs

572205[/snapback]

That sums up just about anyone in the management profession...at least the good ones.

I'm not in the mood for a game of gotcha, so just make your point.

572319[/snapback]

see above. as it so happens, though, i do agree with you that he wasn't the greatest coach ever and had his flaws. i just think he was better than the vast majority of the coaches during that period.

No wait...no he hasn't.

572280[/snapback]

I think you could put in Shanahan, Holmgren, Walsh, perhaps Vermiel (on the offense)...

Maybe you could argue Parcells, but he DOES have mucho input and to me that seems the natural way to go. If not, why not have Steve Jobs as your HC? If you have other football men running the show, then what is the need for a top coordinator, etc.. to assume a HC position when in fact you are advocating removing the HC from the essential workflow that needs to take place in order to prepare for your opponent?