NFL Total Access: down to two candidates

Lori

As previously noted - RCW liked Jauron the last time he interviewed here. Also mentioned the STRONG possibility that Sherman would indeed bring Bates with him if he's the guy.

(from the rebroadcast of the 7PM Total Access; apologies in advance if previously posted. I've been distracted with a balky DSL install for a good part of the evening...)

About time for the local TV guys to chime in...

As previously noted - RCW liked Jauron the last time he interviewed here. Also mentioned the STRONG possibility that Sherman would indeed bring Bates with him if he's the guy.

(from the rebroadcast of the 7PM Total Access; apologies in advance if previously posted. I've been distracted with a balky DSL install for a good part of the evening...)

571848[/snapback]

For gawd's sake, pleeeeeeeeeease let it be the Sherman and Bates show.

Just say no to Dick! :huh:0:)

For gawd's sake, pleeeeeeeeeease let it be the Sherman and Bates show.

Just say no to Dick!  :huh:  0:)

571850[/snapback]

I'm with you dude. He brings a winning attitude to a franchise in need of one. If the vets don't jump on the bandwagon, then it's time to cut them all. This means Milloy, Vincent, Moulds, Adams, etc.

571848[/snapback]

why is people so high on bates?even when the offense was going good in greenbay (before last season) it seemed like green bay could never stop anybody on defense.i know they have kgb but they havnt had a good defense in years.

why is people so high on bates?even when the offense was going good in greenbay (before last season)  it seemed like green bay could never stop anybody on defense.i know they have kgb but they havnt had a good defense in years.

571882[/snapback]

Last year was their first year with bates and they jumped from 25th in 2004 in total yards allowed to 7th in 2005. I'd venture to say we have better defensive personell then the packers. Bates also did a pretty good job with the dolphins. Other then Donnie Henderson I can't think of many other people I'd be more stoked about having as a defensive coordinator then Jim Bates.

why is people so high on bates?even when the offense was going good in greenbay (before last season)  it seemed like green bay could never stop anybody on defense.i know they have kgb but they havnt had a good defense in years.

571882[/snapback]

I honestly don't know who this Bates guy is, but I do know that he hasn't been the DC in GB for very long if that's who he is. Ed Donatell who is in Atlanta now was the DC and fired after the 4th&26 play vs. Philly in the playoffs.

The Packer defense did overachieve this past year I thought.

Edit: oh yeah, the Dolphins interim guy.

Another thing about that Philly game I remember is Sherman punting on 4th&1 in Eagle territory when a 1st down would've clinched the game and Ahman Green had 200 yards rushing. :huh:

571882[/snapback]

Last year was Bates 1st season in GB, before that he was the DC in miami...

http://www.packers.com/team/coaches/bates_jim/

Both of these guys look like doofuses, not future Super Bowl winning coaches.

http://www.detroitlions.com/bio.cfm?bio_id=205

http://www.packers.com/team/coaches/sherman_mike/

Yes, I'm talking about physical appearance. I know it sounds stupid but it's my theory and I'm sticking with it. Just by looking at them, I can't imagine either of these guys holding a Lombardi trophy. Neither will be the one that delivers a championship to Buffalo. That said, Sherman has at least coached good teams in the past and can hopefully rebuild the Bills to respectability. If he gets hired, I'll be satisfied I guess knowing that while he isn't the long-term Super Bowl winning solution, he can at least get Buffalo back to the playoffs, which is a huge first step, before eventually ceding his job to someone like Gruden who will finish the dream.

If it's down to two candidates, then what the hell was Marv referring to when he said that it would be "an exhaustive search"

571931[/snapback]

Jeez, the guy is 80 years old, Ralph is 87 years old. I bet they are exhausted..

I still find it hard to believe that the Bills won't interview somebody else, if not at the very least, the minority candidate that they are required (I thought) to interview.

Until Ralph or Marv says that it is down to one of these two guys, I don't know how it can be assumed that this is it, the only two candidates...

Not much new. Kilgore figures Marv/RCW will make a quick decision once they've finished interviewing Sherman.

571876[/snapback]

While I'm all for the urgency-- isn't this a bit hasty. An internal interview with April, followed by back-to-back courtships of Jauron and Sherman, and the process ends? I'm also not sure of the particulars, but isn't a minority candidate manditory in the interview process? It would seem a little disingenuous to make a tacit decision on Jauron or Sherman, followed by a gratuitous interview with Teddy C. for window-dressing.