Mort on GameDay

He had Drew looking Pro Bowl like until the oline got hurt in Dallas this year. 

566728[/snapback]

Kevin Gilbride coached him to a Pro Bowl, enough said..... so that should not mean anything to us

My point was to show how many head coaches succeed in their first jobs. It was not to breakdown the reason's for Belichik's and Shanahan's downfalls.

566927[/snapback]

Belichik was also on his way to another failure with NE until Bledsoe got hurt and Brady came in and now he is successful.

Maybe it isnt all about the coaching maybe it also has to do with the level of talent and their ability to follow their coach. Maybe it also has to do with the gm and the coaches relationship. Take Millen and Marucci Marrucci was a success before he went to Detroit and now hes marked as a failure. Wade Philips was a failure in Denver but was succesful with our team until the QB contraversy.

What really demostrates success for our next head caoch. Hasselet-nope i would take April over Hasselet-Mike sherman was an Offensie Coordinator under Mike Holgrem before Going to greenbay with playoff appearance 4 out of 5 years.

I know we feel burned by the GW/MM era and many of us didnt like wade all that much either but out of the three that we ran out of town Wade had us in the playoffs twice. Bobby April seems to have a good impact on his players and seems to know how to motivate them to play he does not seem like a bad option. But I think it comes down to what is the philophy of the team at this moment are we preparing to be winners in 2006 or allowing an adjustment year for the QB and HEad Coach. IF not then we go with the best possible canditate and IMO Mike SHerman is THE best canditate available, or if we are allowing the adjustment period then I think TED COTTRELL should be our next head coach all of the players have spoken very highly of him and I think he finally deserves his due.

Exactly - Mularkey & Williams most likely failed because they're not good at coaching, not because they were 1st time coaches.

566980[/snapback]

As far as Williams, I'm not so sure he is not a good coach. Donahoe didn't do him many favors as I recall. (Most notably gutting the team of talent and experience, and the initial coaching staff hiring disaster.)

GW has shown he is an extremely capable defensive coordinator. He just was not prepared to be a head coach (good interview or not) and, in retrospect, got frighteningly little support from his boss to minimize his chances of success.

I know we feel burned by the GW/MM era and many of us didnt like wade all that much either but out of the three that we ran out of town Wade had us in the playoffs twice.  Bobby April seems to have a good impact on his players and seems to know how to motivate them to play he does not seem like a bad option. But I think it comes down to what is the philophy of the team at this moment are we preparing to be winners in 2006 or allowing an adjustment year for the QB and HEad Coach. IF not then we go with the best possible canditate and IMO Mike SHerman is THE best canditate available, or if we are allowing the adjustment period then I think TED COTTRELL should be our next head coach all of the players have spoken very highly of him and I think he finally deserves his due.

567015[/snapback]

Sherman sounds like he's too stubborn and full of himself. No good at delegating, no good at listening, plus he "thinks" he's Mike Holmgren, no thanks.

Cottrell???? Think of it this way...two times every season the Bills would be facing "Cottrell vs Belichik" and "Cottrell vs Saban" head coaching matchups. Now that's a scary *ss thought to me, no thanks.

Parcells also yanked the play-calling from Payton last year. Parcells this year also called out some of the play-calling on the offense.

566759[/snapback]

As I recall, Jim Fassel also yanked the play-calling while Payton was OC for the Giants. Not necessarily a bright spot on one's resume.

As I recall, Jim Fassel also yanked the play-calling while Payton was OC for the Giants. Not necessarily a bright spot on one's resume.

567110[/snapback]

Yup, that was about 5 years ago. It was somewhere around the last 6-7 games of the season when Fassel took over the offensive playcalling. The Giants offense wasn't doing anything all season while Payton was calling the plays. Once Fassel took over the offense that year, it improved tremendously, and I think they went into the playoffs. I don't want Payton for our next coach.

The #1 rip on the last two head coaches was that they had no experience.

Now, we're talking about Payton?  :doh:

566791[/snapback]

The #1 rip seems to be that the last two guys had no head coaching experience and then these same posters rip into TD for not hiring Weis, Lovie Smith, Lewis and Fox.

How could they possibly interview Gray?  If SDS's report the other day was correct, and Gray essentially threw in the towel two weeks before the season ended and stopped trying, why would they even consider him?

566737[/snapback]

I missed this - how did Gray throw in the towel?

As far as Williams, I'm not so sure he is not a good coach.  Donahoe didn't do him many favors as I recall.  (Most notably gutting the team of talent and experience, and the initial coaching staff hiring disaster.)

GW has shown he is an extremely capable defensive coordinator.  He just was not prepared to be a head coach (good interview or not) and, in retrospect, got frighteningly little support from his boss to minimize his chances of success.

567020[/snapback]

First, haven't seen your name in these parts in a long time - welcome back unless I've missed your posts.

Second, I disagree with the premise that Williams didn't get support from Donahoe. TD let Williams pick his own coaches - if anything, he should have realized that Greggo didn't know squat about coaching personnel outside of defense.

never been a head coach before= two three or even four years to "learn on the job". Bills have been there done that. No thanks. There are other coaches out there who have atleast had some experience running a team. Im tired of the Bills being the jv and having new head coaches get their feet wet here then getting fired after a few years when they dont produce wins.

566762[/snapback]

Yeah, you're right. It took Marvin Lewis, Fox, and others SO LONG to build winners.

First, haven't seen your name in these parts in a long time - welcome back unless I've missed your posts.

Thanks.

Second, I disagree with the premise that Williams didn't get support from Donahoe.  TD let Williams pick his own coaches - if anything, he should have realized that Greggo didn't know squat about coaching personnel outside of defense.

567191[/snapback]

I wouldn't call that support. Support would have been realizing that GW was a rookie head coach and giving him the aid and advice he needed. Being a good upper level manager is not equivalent to turning a blind eye to things and letting your middle managers hang in the slack.

Just said Bills have gotten permission to talk to Cowboys OC Sean Payton, will interview Jerry Gray, and Dick Jaron should pay attention "even though the people's choice is Haslett."

566724[/snapback]

It's funny how so many pundits are in Marv's head! :doh: Who, BTW, just got hired himself and prolly doesn't know where he wants to get his HC.