Seems Mularkey's not half the idiot I thought....

Once again...this time with feeling: Things didn't just happen to Ralph. He LET them happen. Why people give him a free pass is beyond me.

566720[/snapback]

i'm no fan of donohoe, but the last couple of weeks have made clear to me that ralph c. is the captain of the s.s. buffalotanic.

Once again...this time with feeling: Things didn't just happen to Ralph. He LET them happen. Why people give him a free pass is beyond me.

566720[/snapback]

True. Ralph was a very old man 5 years ago. He tried to turn the ship over to someone else for a while -- someone that everyone said was a great businessman and football person, the perfect fit. Unfortunately, Donahoe turned out to be a bust in many ways.

It's OK to blame Ralph for hiring Donahoe, because that is exactly what he did. He did it for all the right reasons (IMO), it just did not work out. (Largely, because Donahoe was supremely overrated in the first place.)

Still, at the same time, one also must give Ralph credit for seeing that the bow of the ship had dug under the waves this season and big changes were necessary. The lifeblood of a sports franchise is its fan base, and Ralph knows the best way to keep that fan base is to put a good product on the field. Not to cowardly scan the stadium for "mean" signs to confiscate and have security toss the fans out. (Donahoe would've been far better served to keep his eyes and focus on the playing field; maybe then it might have slowly sunk in that nobody wins football games with barrel scrapings in the trenches.)

Still, at the same time I give Ralph credit for realizing he needed to shake things up, one really has to wonder about the way things have unfolded once that decision was made. Was hiring Marv a good move? Retaining TD's right hand man TM? Not sure, but we'll see. The move that seemed strange and ended up exploding in his face was the idea of keeping MM around. To get rid of TD and half the coaching staff and keep the middle management in place seemed, at best, goofy -- but who knew just how strange it would really become?

The Bills need to bring in a strong, self-confident head coach that can come in and lead, taking control of the situation. Mike Sherman ran his own show in Green Bay and was quite successful; someone like that would be a very good fit.

Under d?onahoe, the Bungles were enticed with the "me" culture. Along with that culture came a lot of "me" staffers.

Under Levy, he wants to breed a new culture, the "T-E-A-M culture" or the "us" culture.

Those kind of changes do not happen over night. There is a lot of identification that needs to take place i.e. Identifying those that can change and those that cannot.

mularkey, obviously has no wishes to change, at least in the present.

Gregg Williams didn't look like he would change either, but guess what, the guy did. Gregg needed that time to look at himself and the situation he had come from. He needed that time to figure what he did right and what he did wrong. A key is, accepting responsiblity for what went wrong and changing that within one's self.

Can mularkey ever be a decent coach??? Sure, the potential is there, but he needs that time to reflect and to calculate what he needs to change within himself and his actions.

As far as the Bills go, Marv has his work cut out for himeslf. He has to identify who can/will change, and he then has to find the right belnd of people for this franchise, coaches AND players.

I don't see the Bills being real successful within the next season, but it sure would be nice.

I most certainly did not. You must have me confused with someone else. I think I'm actually known around here for my negativity  :devil:

566540[/snapback]

Please accept my apology. Maybe your negativity was reality.

I can't get anybody on the board to confess to the ridiculously optimistic predictions that were posted here in pre-season. I would bet the consensus was 10-6 and yet nobody will admit to it.

Maybe Kelso's Helmet, since he is so well known around here, can get the board members to post their past predictions for 2005. I think it would be interesting to see who has the guts to admit their mistakes. Maybe something can be learned from examining past mistakes in judgment.

The Bills were 8-8 in 2004, I said their defense was vastly overrated and they were starting a virtual rookie QB and their schedule was much more difficult in 2005, my prediction was they could be 6-10 easily. I was alone in my negative outlook.

To the veteran board members like Kelso's Helmet, let someone begin a 2005 confessional and re-post those great pre-season picks.

Who said I was dissatisfied?

I wanted Mularkey gone. I wanted a new GM, just not entirely sure about the coccoon crew.

566693[/snapback]

Holy Photons Batman!

Say what you like about the GM situation, but puhleeze change the font on your signature.

I think I've been blinded. :doh:

Please accept my apology. Maybe your negativity was reality.

I can't get anybody on the board to confess to the ridiculously optimistic  predictions that were posted here in pre-season. I would bet the consensus was 10-6 and yet nobody will admit to it.

Maybe Kelso's Helmet, since he is so well known around here, can get the board members to post their past predictions for 2005. I think it would be interesting to see who has the guts to admit their mistakes. Maybe something can be learned from examining past mistakes in judgment.

The Bills were 8-8 in 2004, I said their defense was vastly overrated and they were starting a virtual rookie QB and their schedule was much more difficult in 2005, my prediction was they could be 6-10 easily. I was alone in my negative outlook.  

To the veteran board members like Kelso's Helmet, let someone begin a 2005 confessional and re-post those great pre-season picks.

566939[/snapback]

Apology accepted, though I was never offended in the first place.

Yes, I'd like to think my negativity WAS reality. I'm not negative for the sake of being negative, but only when past events give me good reason to be negative (example: I didn't become anti-Bledsoe until the early 2004 season, anti-Donahoe until last year's offseason, anti-MM until the SD road game this season, anti-OL until...well ever since the mid-90's I've been against our OL :doh: ).

Right now, I think too many here are being more negative than realistic. Marv hasn't even done anything yet to show he can't handle being the head GM, and he hasn't even hired a HC yet and we've already written the hire off as a failure. Yes, the future right now looks extremely uncertain, but I'll take this uncertainty over the certain doom of the old Teflon Tom/Spineless Meathead regime.

As far as your 2005 confessional idea, for the sake of internet civility it may be for the best that it doesn't happen...too much bad blood will surface from initiating that. I also don't think I have any influence on the true veteran posters - the guys posting way back in the HyperBills days when I was still a prepubescent lurker - or anyone at all, for that matter. Although it can be fun sometimes to call out people for past mistakes of judgement, the reality is that everyone should have the right to change their football opinions as circumstances change. Having said that, you can always check a member's post history if you suspect that they may be one of those dreaded 2005 season hopeless optimists :doh: .