Give Me a Reason to Like Donahue

HarkinBanks

He fixed the salary mess Butler left behind.  We are in very good cap shape now and just resigned Schobel.  We have Phat Pat and Jennings FAs after this year- we will be able to sign at least one of them.

40430[/snapback]

Yes. The financial angle is under control. TD succssfully avoided paying a normal first round contract last year with the drafting of McGahee, and successfully dumped next year's first-round liability.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Keeping Big Ted for a salary cap figure that equals 20% of the cap would have been VERY dumb!  Hindsight is always 20/20!  

Donahoe has made some bad mistakes but he has brought in some very good talent.  He is a good GM--not great, at least right now but good.

40552[/snapback]

Top 10 Reasons to like TD.

10) White Hair=Sexy Mo Fo.

9) Passed on John Fox and Marvin Lewis- I mean what have they done really?

8) Gives us something to B word about.

7) Let Gregg Williams wear that nasty sweater to the Firing PC. That was funny stevestojan!

6) Has built the best practice squad in the NFL. L. Sape

5) He has started a loser anonymous group for Takeo Spikes and Drew Bledsoe.

4) No prima donna's. When you have no talent you have no ego's

3) We do not have to ever worry about excessive celebration penalties after scoring.

2) Next April 23rd I will have the whole day to myself.

1) I get to enjoy every Sunday this Fall and Winter not watching football.

Getting rid of Steve Christie and Larry Centers can also be second guessed. Chrisite may of been on the downside of his career, but with San Diego was pretty effective. Last year they cut Larry Centers and then line up Sam Gash as a wide out?

I am not a big fan of Donahoe...but I will say this...Dec 26th...when we play the 49ers, we can see how well two teams in cap hell do against each other. Remember, the 49ers were in worse than us, their Donahue purged the roster, and took some loses...let's see where they are.

When comparing TD, you need to compare him to teams that were/are in similar shape when he took over as GM. These teams include 49ers, Broncos (though they cheated the salary cap and got caught), Lions and Bears. I believe we might be the worst team of that bunch.

Some of the beat writers, however, are already starting to heap the blame for this season's performance on Donahoe. Per Leo Roth, for example, of the Rochester Democrat & Chronicle: "By firing Williams and keeping most of the same players, general manager Tom Donahoe was telling us that coaching was to blame for last season's 6-10 record. At 0-2 this year, when do we start asking whether maybe Donahoe's players aren't good enough?"

POSTED 8:21 a.m. EDT, September 21, 2004

Anyone who quotes this sophomoric, cliche ridden, never leave the office, hack of a so called sportswriter automatically forfeits any credibility.

Why don't you give me a reason why I (or anybody else) should care what you think about the President of Buffalo Bills?

Man you sound like Hogboy-except Hogboy is funny. Its called being a fan. Give me a reason why we should give a fug what you think about Drew or the Bills? Well thats what fans do. They talk about their team even if it has no bearing who is in management or who is on the roster. Reason why you should care? For now on I will private message you if you my post is to your liking or not :D:D

Man you sound like Hogboy-except Hogboy is funny.  Its called being a fan.  Give me a reason why we should give a fug what you think about Drew or the Bills?  Well thats what fans do.  They talk about their team even if it has no bearing who is in management or who is on the roster.  Reason why you should care?  For now on I will private message you if you my post is to your liking or not :D  :D

40727[/snapback]

I re-read it and realized the unintended tone and deleted my post while you were typing your response.

BTW, Hogboy isn't anywhere close to funny.

Guest Guest_Never Say Die_*
1. Hindsight is 20/20.

2. (See # 1).

3. Puh-leeeeeeeeeeease! You're not serious, are you? Neither was the answer.

4. Good trade at the time. It re-energized the fan base, boosted season ticket sales, and the Bills were in desperate need of a proven QB.

5. Salary cap. You can't keep everyone and the team was trying to dig out of salary cap hell. Keeping an aging Washington at his price demand would have been ludicrous. I'm sure you'll crucify TD again when the Bills are unable to re-sign all of their FAs at the end of the year.

BTW...it's DonahOe, not DonahUe. Or were you talking about Phil Donahue? They both have white hair. Maybe you miss his show?...or are a fan of his wife, Marlo Thomas?  :D

40448[/snapback]

Marlo Thomas is hot...can we trade Bledsoe for HER??!!

Keeping Big Ted for a salary cap figure that equals 20% of the cap would have been VERY dumb!  Hindsight is always 20/20! 

Donahoe has made some bad mistakes but he has brought in some very good talent.  He is a good GM--not great, at least right now but good.

40552[/snapback]

Actually, the way I remember it, Big Ted said he would take a pay cut to stay with the Bills and Gregg Williams had some great quote how there was no room on his team for "fat guys". Would be surprised if Big Ted would have taken up anywhere close to 20% of the cap but could be wrong. I am sure that he helped Chicago go 13-3 and then helped New England win a Super Bowl. EVERY team he has played on has had a stout run defense.

At this point, I have to say that Donahoe is not a good GM. Bringing in some very good talent does not equal 17-34. Good talent equals a winning record. I want to see them turn this around as badly as anyone else, just fed up with all the losing!