a good piece to read regarding the moulds debate

That denver game was horrendous. however every good receiver has a bad day. and to say that smith and evans are similar in my opinion isnt completely true. smith has a much bigger build and is a very tough receiver. He has that combination of size, toughness, and speed and quickness. evans is a bit smaller build and has almost similar speed and toughness.. dont get me wrong though i agree with some of your post. the comparisons between price and evans come because they both rely heavily on their initial bursts. Thats how they beat their corners. moulds and smith can break tackles way better.

562790[/snapback]

smith is 5' 9" and 185; evans is 5' 10" and 197. as for the denver game, champ bailey - the best corner in the league this past year, in my opinion - had an absolutely lights out performance against the bills. he was matched up on evans.

having said all of this, it's somewhat unfair to compare the two now, because smith was the best receiver in the league the past year.

The thing that people are missing here is that Carolina had to pay Muhammad a 10M roster bonus. That would have hurt their cap for years, not just one year. The Bills don't owe Moulds any such bonus. If they keep Moulds it's not going to kill them for years to come.

The Bills cap savings for cutting Moulds will probably be in the 3 million dollar range this year (5M saved by cutting Moulds plus whatever it costs to sign a viable replacement which I've estimated at roughly 2M, though it could be more). As long as the replacement is a guy that can get the job done I'm all for it. We need a solid possession guy that can find the seem of a zone and make the tough catches over the middle. I have no doubt that there are a few guys out there that could fit the bill.

That being said I don't want to cut Moulds just to cut him. I want somebody on the roster before Moulds is let go. Just hoping to get someone, anyone, in FA and cutting Moulds for this phantom player is a mistake. Reed and Aiken are not viable options and if the Bills end up with one of them as their 2nd WR we’re in big trouble.

The thing that people are missing here is that Carolina had to pay Muhammad a 10M roster bonus.  That would have hurt their cap for years, not just one year.  The Bills don't owe Moulds any such bonus.  If they keep Moulds it's not going to kill them for years to come.

The Bills cap savings for cutting Moulds will probably be in the 3 million dollar range this year (5M saved by cutting Moulds plus whatever it costs to sign a viable replacement which I've estimated at roughly 2M, though it could be more).  As long as the replacement is a guy that can get the job done I'm all for it.  We need a solid possession guy that can find the seem of a zone and make the tough catches over the middle.  I have no doubt that there are a few guys out there that could fit the bill.

That being said I don't want to cut Moulds just to cut him.  I want somebody on the roster before Moulds is let go.  Just hoping to get someone, anyone, in FA and cutting Moulds for this phantom player is a mistake.  Reed and Aiken are not viable options and if the Bills end up with one of them as their 2nd WR we’re in big trouble.

562877[/snapback]

aiken especially. he's a special teamer only.

smith is 5' 9" and 185; evans is 5' 10" and 197. as for the denver game, champ bailey - the best corner in the league this past year, in my opinion - had an absolutely lights out performance against the bills. he was matched up on evans.

having said all of this, it's somewhat unfair to compare the two now, because smith was the best receiver in the league the past year.

562799[/snapback]

thanks for the bio data dave. I guess i was wrong there about the size. i dunno. to me, smith kinda looks a bit bigger. maybe evans is a bit more lean?? i dunno guess my perception may be skewed. but i agree with you that its unfair to compare the two. also good point on bailey. however i could have sworn he was on moulds most of the time.

when did moulds say he is willing to take a pay cut (i.e., renegotiate)? i don't recall him saying that.

563048[/snapback]

I dont think he meant this past season. he means in the past when TD has asked EM to cut his pay for the good of the cap. you are right though. moulds has not made any mention of taking a paycut this offseason. he simply stated that there was a 50/50 chance that he would remain in buffalo.

thanks for the bio data dave. I guess i was wrong there about the size. i dunno. to me, smith kinda looks a bit bigger. maybe evans is a bit more lean?? i dunno guess my perception may be skewed. but i agree with you that its unfair to compare the two. also good point on bailey. however i could have sworn he was on moulds most of the time.

563154[/snapback]

he was on moulds some, but was on evans for all of the deep to deepish throws, as i recall.