To those advocating trading up to get V. Young

Look, Indy and Manning are threatening to win the SB this year, but the key here is that if he does this small task then he will be the first QB drafted in the 1st round to lead the team that drafted him to an SB victory since Dallas drafted Aikman in 1989.

One of the keys to the 'Boys doing this with the good side of Aikman;s stellar play and the downside of the tremendous resource draw he put on the 'Boys was that MN cleverly gave the 'Boys the depth they needed to win it all by trading away huge resources to the 'Boys in exchange for Herschel Walker.

The penalty which a top flight QB drafted in the first round places on a team has only gotten more important with the salary cap being in place and putting teams on a more level playing field.

Indy MAY (I do mean MAY) beat these odds as:

1. Polian has done such a great job assessing players and negotiaing contracts so they have some depth.

2. Unlike his near-peer at the time Ryan Leaf, Manning has developed into one the best QBs ever.

3. Vanderjagt has been drop dead accurate and teamed with the Polian depth to make ST special.

3. Indy made a great off-cap pick-up of investing in Tony Dungy,, one of the best D minded HCs in the league to supplement their underinvestment in the D because the O needed Harrison and the Edge to allow Manning to be as effective as he is.

Despite all, this we are looking at a team that has never even made the SB and have little more than a reasonable chance of winning it all this year.

Advocates of trading up for young expect somehow to replicate these events for am SB run by us and actually do this not with the advantage of MN trading us a bunch of resources, but instead build a winning team after trading away a bunch of resources to get Young.

No.

Graft a QB for show, but get a great OL for dough.

Trading up for Young is simply bad strategy even if he produces as a player.

It ain't about his throwing mechanics it is all about the salary cap mechanics.

The Pats' OL is a 3rd rounder, a 1st rounder (32nd overall), a 5th rounder, a 7th rounder, and an UDFA.

Just because you don't need a 1st-round QB to win the Superbowl doesn't mean you need to spend top-10 picks on the OL.

561246[/snapback]

They're also blessed with the quickest decision maker in the game taking snaps and a WR corp that's more concerned about winning than pouting.

The Pats' OL is a 3rd rounder, a 1st rounder (32nd overall), a 5th rounder, a 7th rounder, and an UDFA.

Just because you don't need a 1st-round QB to win the Superbowl doesn't mean you need to spend top-10 picks on the OL.

561246[/snapback]

yeah but their starting dline are all 1st rounderss seymour/wilfork/warren

I'm sure I'm missing some great points here. Could you please write in a way that allows others to know what you're thinking? Between the grammar & spelling mistakes and and the stream of consciousness writing, your posts are simply unintelligible. I think I can learn something from you, if you'd only proofread...

Yet, practically every year, a QB is selected in the top 5.

Yet, in each of the last 5 drafts, a QB was the first player selected.

Yet, a team feels stupid in not taking someone like Alex Smith No. 1, when he's the best QB in a crappy QB year.

Yet, every single NFL personnel guy says that in order to win, you have to find a QB.

If you want to play the lose with your interpretation of why teams shouldn't draft QBs high, then I can say that Dolphins haven't sniffed a SB since '84 because they haven't drafted a QB higher than 4th round since Dan Marino.

Everyone tries to make these arguments that taking a QB high in the draft will eliminate you from winning the SB, but it makes no sense. That may be the recent trend, but the bottom line is you have to acquire as many good players as possible. If that includes taking a QB 1st overall, or taking a DE/DT/OT etc. first and getting a QB later, so be it. But I'm never going to buy into the "odds" of winning a SB is based on where you draft your QB.

In our case, drafting a QB (be it Young, Leinart, or whoever) early in this draft would be assinine in my opinion. JP has shown flashes of greatness that can hopefully be built on, and we desparately need to improve in the trenches.

I recall a mass of predictions of doom for the Colts when Manning signed his most recent contract. "There will be NO money left to address the defensive problems", is pretty much how that argument went. Peyton was greedy, Polian stupid and the Colts doomed...DOOMED!

WTF happened?

In order to win the Super Bowl, you either have to have a great QB, or you have to be the Ravens of 2000.

Problem is, most teams that pick very early in the draft are bad organizations. Look at Joey Harrington in Detroit: no offensive line, overrated skill position players, not much of a chance to succeed. David Carr is an even more glaring example.

The only way for a QB chosen very early to have success is for the organization to take a sudden turn for the better around the time he gets drafted. Peyton Manning being taken first overall is a good example, as is Carson Palmer.

Bottom line, ANY player taken in the first round can be a bust, QB or no. But when a QB lives up to his potential, it's a bigger step to a Super Bowl ring than when some other player lives up to his potential.

Everyone tries to make these arguments that taking a QB high in the draft will eliminate you from winning the SB, but it makes no sense. That may be the recent trend, but the bottom line is you have to acquire as many good players as possible. If that includes taking a QB 1st overall, or taking a DE/DT/OT etc. first and getting a QB later, so be it. But I'm never going to buy into the "odds" of winning a SB is based on where you draft your QB.

In our case, drafting a QB (be it Young, Leinart, or whoever) early in this draft would be assinine in my opinion. JP has shown flashes of greatness that can hopefully be built on, and we desparately need to improve in the trenches.

561282[/snapback]

The problem is that the "recent" record of picking a QB in the 1st who leads your team to an SB win dates back to a choice Dallas made in 1989 to pick Aikman.

I'm not making this stuff up these are just the facts.

I think there is a creidble case to be made that part of this unblemished record of 1st round QB draft picks is chance in that McNair came with a couple of yards of playing for an SB winner, but even this anamoly if one chooses to give him credit for a win that was not merely seems to be an exception that proves the rule that dratting a QB in the 1st will not win you an SB (or rarely even get you there since McNabb is the only 1st round selected QB to even put his chance in a position to lose the SB since McNair in the 99 season).

Part of this is that it makes sense to take the "field" of all other methods versus the one method of drafting and developing a QB in the first.

Yet, even in this case, if you compare methods one-on-one you still have SBs since Dallas chose Aikman in the 1st one multiple times with other methods of acqusition (draft your QB of the future late in the draft where his cap hit is low. pick up another team's reject 1st rounder, sign a UDFA QB, and even Elway forcing Indy to trade him) while the record SB wins of QBs selected in the 1st since Aikman is simply one of zero (0, zilch, nada, less than 1) wins,

I'd love to see Manning make it this year thanks to Polian doing a fanartastic job of cap management and team building and their off-cap investment in Dungy. Unfortunately if he breaks the 1st round QB curse he will merely become the (finally) the exception that proves the rule.

we have a qb already.wheater you like jp or not here is here to be developed.now if this was when we didnt have drew yet or when drew was on the way out that is a different story.i'd like to see us draft dabrick....but you wont know anything till you see what coordinators we get and what style of offense /defense we want to play....then of course it depends on who we sign and let go/keep as free agents.