The NFL should have a list

The fact that by interviewing Jerry Gray, a team can meet the NFL's minority candidate interview qualifications is a sham. If the NFL is serious, there would be a list of QUALIFIED candidates that a team must choose from to interview. If, in addition, they want to interview a guy who is so unqualified that he's about to be fired (or resigns) as a coordinator, they can do so. But to have Jerry Gray as the guy who you interview as your minority candidate is disingenuous at best and basically flaunting the rules at worst.

The fact that by interviewing Jerry Gray, a team can meet the NFL's minority candidate interview qualifications is a sham.  If the NFL is serious, there would be a list of QUALIFIED candidates that a team must choose from to interview.  If, in addition, they want to interview a guy who is so unqualified that he's about to be fired (or resigns) as a coordinator, they can do so.  But to have Jerry Gray as the guy who you interview as your minority candidate is disingenuous at best and basically flaunting the rules at worst.

558611[/snapback]

It's a token rule anyway.

This is all predicated on some belief that a team wouldn't hire the best guy because of a simple gene expression. I'm trying my best to imagine how someone could be so stupid and I still can't fathom any GM or owner saying, "Well, this guy's philosophy fits our system and players and will get us 2 more wins than X, but he's black, so let's just go with X."

This is all predicated on some belief that a team wouldn't hire the best guy because of a simple gene expression. I'm trying my best to imagine how someone could be so stupid and I still can't fathom any GM or owner saying, "Well, this guy's philosophy fits our system and players and will get us 2 more wins than X, but he's black, so let's just go with X."

558620[/snapback]

If one is to believe your logic, Jerry Gray will never get a head coaching job. I believe your logic.

They should just do away with it, since that old belief has basically been put to bed. Didn't Lovie Smith just win Coach of The Year over Dungy ? Look at Marvin Lewis, Romeo Crennel, Herm Edwards.

If I'm an owner, I pick the right man and could care less about the color of his skin.

If one is to believe your logic, Jerry Gray will never get a head coaching job.  I believe your logic.

558622[/snapback]

I wouldn't say never. He just needs to prove that he can succeed on his own. If he can do that (which would necessitate learning a lot more in how to scheme beyond blitzing that doesn't work and lining CBs up 10-15 yards off the ball in addition to how to make halftime adjustments that work) sure.

He'll probably hook on somewhere as a DC, or a DB coach as a workup to becoming a DC again. I wish him well. But I think we've seen enough of him to know that we don't have the luxury to wait until he 'gets it.'

Edited by UConn James

I wouldn't say never. He just needs to prove that he can succeed on his own. If he can do that (which would necessitate learning a lot more in how to scheme beyond blitzing that doesn't work and lining CBs up 10-15 yards off the ball in addition to how to make halftime adjustments that work) sure.

But I think we've seen enough of him to know that we don't have the luxury to wait until he does 'get it.'

558640[/snapback]

The "Peter Principle" Rules :D

558620[/snapback]

not to tote the race card, but TD was one racist MOFO

Hired Gregg Williams

Looked over:

Ted Cottrell

Marvin Lewis

Hired Mike Mularkey

Looked over:

Lovie Smith

Romeo Crennel

Now we can hate on the guy for being the Son of Satan AND a member of the KKK

not to tote the race card, but TD was one racist MOFO

Hired Gregg Williams

Looked over:

Ted Cottrell

Marvin Lewis

Hired Mike Mularkey

Looked over:

Lovie Smith

Romeo Crennel

John Guy said the same thing about him.

558645[/snapback]

In that case, Matt Millen is the Grand Wizard. The only team that's been nominally fined ($10,000 ?) under the rule.

Maybe it was all carefully designed specifically to save Millen from himself (and it still didn't work)? He tractor-beamed in on Mooch and two years later, there the Detroit Lions are... two years further along and they've still got an idiot GM who's also taken THREE I've-heard-of-him!!!-WRs in the 1st round of the last four drafts. His survival as GM leads me to question Darwin's theories....

In that case, Matt Millen is the Grand Wizard. The only team that's been nominally fined ($10,000 ?) under the rule.

Maybe it was all carefully designed specifically to save Millen from himself (and it still didn't work)? He tractor-beamed in on Mooch and two years later, there the Detroit Lions are... two years further along and they've still got an idiot GM who's also taken THREE I've-heard-of-him!!!-WRs in the 1st round of the last four drafts. His survival as GM leads me to question Darwin's theories....

558672[/snapback]

millen is still there because its a conspiracy to get brett favre 2 wins per season

This is all predicated on some belief that a team wouldn't hire the best guy because of a simple gene expression. I'm trying my best to imagine how someone could be so stupid

558620[/snapback]

Of course people aren't hired because of, as you put it, simple gene expressions. How many women coaches do you see in the NFL? I'm not saying there should be women coaches, mind you.

They should just do away with it, since that old belief has basically been put to bed. Didn't Lovie Smith just win Coach of The Year over Dungy ?  Look at Marvin Lewis, Romeo Crennel, Herm Edwards.

If I'm an owner, I pick the right man and could care less about the color of his skin.

558637[/snapback]

Obviously, the teams that don't hire top-notch coaching talent, black or white, have their miserable records to show for it. Hint hint.