To all the haters...

Chilly

Hook-em!

I am so thrilled (and buzzed) I might even give Silver N'Red a hug and a peck on the cheek right now! Gonna go out right now, and buy myself a "National Championship" cap right now!

What a great game. What a great performance by Vince Young...imagine him QB'ing the Texans in 2006! He'll be a legend here forever!

Hook 'em!

Hook-em! 

I am so thrilled (and buzzed) I might even give Silver N'Red a hug and a peck on the cheek right now!  Gonna go out right now, and buy myself a "National Championship" cap right now! 

What a great game.  What a great performance by Vince Young...imagine him QB'ing the Texans in 2006!  He'll be a legend here forever!

Hook 'em!

554782[/snapback]

Screw that! I'm imaging him QBing the Longhorns again in 2006. :doh:

Cograts ! I picked against them but Young was amazing ! I saw him say he needed to sit down with the family and rethink his position.

I don't see how his stock could possibly be any higher, after last night. Plus, he doesn't have to risk himself in any All-Star game. I know what he stated before but he should declare himself for the Draft.

I picked Texas. IMO, USC was LUCKY to be undefeated. By all accounts they should ahve had two losses and it should have been PSU and Texas in the championship game. Oh well, at least the granola gang lost.

554896[/snapback]

Texas would have waxed PSU. Penn State struggled against Florida State. PSU is not on the same level as Texas or USC. I dont even think PSU could beat Ohio State if they suited up this weekend.

With your reasoning, PSU should have lost to Northwestern. They got lucky there. The two best teams played in the Rose Bowl.

I just wish the game didnt last till 12:30 ... going to be a long day at work.

Congrats to Texas on the National Championship. They played balls to the wall and earned the win. No disrespect to Texas, but I would not say the better TEAM won...I would say that they absolutely had the best PLAYER on the field, and that was enough to make the difference. USC did not have the speed at linebacker to contain Young.

There were many swings up and down in this game. USC not giving it to White (he wasn't even in the game!) and letting Leinart sneak on the early 4th down was a huge mistake. Bush's lateral was idiotic, and Leinart lobbing up the INT when he should have fired that pass was a momentum changer. Not to mention, Texas fumbled about 5 times and only lost one of them, including a big one by VY which could have cost them the game. I have no problem with the knee down/forward lateral TD; Texas had gone 70 yards at that point and probably would have scored a TD anyways. But the lack of review is cause for concern.

I like the call to go for it on that last 4th down. You make it, it effectively ends the game. USC has played that way for three years, so why change and punt when everything is on the line? Besides, giving it to Vince with 2 minutes left at the 15-yard line and one timeout probably equals the same result: TD.

In the end, I thought Leinart played huge in the 2nd half, and did everything possible to win. Vince simply did his thing last. If there was 1:20 on the clock instead of :20, you have to think USC at least ties it up (but who would have stopped Young in OT from the 25??? They couldn't stop him from the other 25.)

It was a great game, and I think these two teams proved why they were 1 and 2 in the nation all year. They are heads and shoulders above every other team. I watched every bowl game, and no team, including Penn State, Ohio State, West Virginia, or LSU would have been within 10 points of either USC or Texas.

As a USC alum, I am sad to see a national title and the streak slip away, but there is no shame in losing that game. It hasn't happened often, but Leinart was the second-best QB on the field.

Congrats Horns.

Texas would have waxed PSU.  Penn State struggled against Florida State.  PSU is not on the same level as Texas or USC.  I dont even think PSU could beat Ohio State if they suited up this weekend.

With your reasoning, PSU should have lost to Northwestern.  They got lucky there.  The two best teams played in the Rose Bowl.

I just wish the game didnt last till 12:30 ... going to be a long day at work.

554914[/snapback]

I'm sorry, but PSU's defense is MUCH better than USC's despite the records.

Their LBs, DLs and secondary are all superior in every aspect.

Yes, USC has a better offense, no one can deny that. I think PSU's defense could ahve given the one-dimensional Longhorn offense fits.

I'm sorry, but PSU's defense is MUCH better than USC's despite the records.

Their LBs, DLs and secondary are all superior in every aspect.

Yes, USC has a better offense, no one can deny that. I think PSU's defense could ahve given the one-dimensional Longhorn offense fits.

554947[/snapback]

I don't think any other team in the country can score enough to keep up with USC or Texas. Penn State's defense would have performed better than USC's no doubt, but there is no shutting down Texas. Your offense has to score, which PSU would have had serious trouble with.

Ohio St proved that the key to stopping Young is athletic linebackers, which Penn St has (and USC definitely doesn't have.) However, Young is still going to break a few off.

You have to look at USC and Texas differently. 'Shutting them down' effectively means you hold them in the low-30's. You have to outscore them.

I picked Texas. IMO, USC was LUCKY to be undefeated. By all accounts they should ahve had two losses and it should have been PSU and Texas in the championship game. Oh well, at least the granola gang lost.

554896[/snapback]

Texas needed and got some breaks to beat OSU. A Buckeye tight end dropped a very catchable pass in the end zone that would have provided more points in a game that was decided by three.

Luck counts and always seems to be present with winning teams.

I am not so sure about Penn St. I didn't see the game, why did they seem to struggle aginst FSU?

As was expressed earlier by smokinandjokin, I don't think the best team won either but Young was the best qb and best player on the field.

Vince Young is the prototype.

The game could've and should've gone into OT if Carroll hadn't botched his timeouts.

The Texas defense made it's stand when it had to.

Texas needed and got some breaks to beat OSU.  A Buckeye tight end dropped a very catchable pass in the end zone that would have provided more points in a game that was decided by three.

Luck counts and always seems to be present with winning teams.

I am not so sure about Penn St.  I didn't see the game, why did they seem to struggle aginst FSU?

As was expressed earlier by smokinandjokin, I don't think the best team won either but Young was the best qb and best player on the field.

Vince Young is the prototype.

The game could've and should've gone into OT if Carroll hadn't botched his timeouts.

The Texas defense made it's stand when it had to.

555891[/snapback]

I think FSU brought EVERYTHING they had to that game. They really put fort a tremendous effort.

I think that, combined with a layoff that began before THANKSGIVING made for a game that was closer than it should have been.

Texas would have waxed PSU.  Penn State struggled against Florida State.  PSU is not on the same level as Texas or USC.  I dont even think PSU could beat Ohio State if they suited up this weekend.

554914[/snapback]

That may or may not be true. The Penn State defense would've given Texas all they could handle, that's for sure. They also would've brought more pressure from the edge, something USC couldn't do even when they tried (for a lot of the game, especially the 2nd half, they played contain, so they didn't blindly rush that often from the edge). But, would PSU have been able to score in the high 20s/low 30s on Texas? That's the tough part. I just don't know. Michael Robinson had a fantastic season, and thrived on such challenges, so I think Penn State would have a shot.

I think FSU brought EVERYTHING they had to that game. They really put fort a tremendous effort.

I think that, combined with a layoff that began before THANKSGIVING made for a game that was closer than it should have been.

555903[/snapback]

I can't argue against that point- Excellent game by both teams, and two outstanding football coaches. Congratulations to Joe Paterno on his final Big 10 title

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.