Marcus Allen. Overrated?

MrLocke

I saw Marcus Allen at the Rose Bowl tonight and wanted to ask the question if others thought he was as over-hyped during his career as I did.

I was looking at his statistics and noticed he only had 3 thousand yard seasons. He really only had one monster season when he rushed for 1759 yards. I realize he played for 16 seasons an impressive feat and is 7th in all time rushing yards another impressive feat, but he seems like an above average back, who just played for along time. Does anybody else agree with this assessment? Or am I missing something? Mind you I am only 21, so when I watched him I was not the best judge. I am always happy to admit when I am wrong, so if you can provide me with some insight I am unaware of it would be great.

I saw Marcus Allen at the Rose Bowl tonight and wanted to ask the question if others thought he was as over-hyped during his career as I did.

I was looking at his statistics and noticed he only had 3 thousand yard seasons. He really only had one monster season when he rushed for 1759 yards. I realize he played for 16 seasons an impressive feat and is 7th in all time rushing yards another impressive feat, but he seems like an above average back, who just played for along time. Does anybody else agree with this assessment? Or am I missing something? Mind you I am only 21, so when I watched him I was not the best judge. I am always happy to admit when I am wrong, so if you can provide me with some insight I am unaware of it would be great.

554487[/snapback]

He looked pretty damn good in the Super Bowl game I watched.

554487[/snapback]

Marcus Allen was a great RB who spent the second half of his Raiders career splitting time with Bo Jackson, which didn't do anything to help either player's stats.

Stats definitely do not tell the whole story.  He was a great back.  A winner too.  He was smooth, yet powerful.  Later in his career, he was money when it came to short yardage.  Just like Rob Riddick was.  Remember him?

554526[/snapback]

Sure do remember Robb. He was our prototypical change of pace back behind Cribbs, way before Kenny Davis or Don Smith (#30 - remember him?) 3rd & 3? No problem! Give it to #40 - 1st down! I also remember him getting cheap shotted in a pre season game at Seattle. Took a swing pass and the $#$% Seahag corner dove directly at his right knee. I watched it buckle on live TV. Robb was never the same after that...tried to come back but kept getting hurt. I still hate Seattle for ruining the career of someone who IMO was destined for greatness.

Sure do remember Robb. He was our prototypical change of pace back behind Cribbs, way before Kenny Davis or Don Smith (#30 - remember him?) 3rd & 3? No problem! Give it to #40 - 1st down! I also remember him getting cheap shotted in a pre season game at Seattle. Took a swing pass and the $#$% Seahag corner dove directly at his right knee. I watched it buckle on live TV. Robb was never the same after that...tried to come back but kept getting hurt. I still hate Seattle for ruining the career of someone who IMO was destined for greatness.

554556[/snapback]

I still have a Riddick jersey :doh:

I know he's a good driver, OJ sure apprieciated It!!

Yeah, he was good, but who shut him down in the AFC Champiionship, thats right Bruce Smith and the Rest of the Buffalo dynasty.  Oh those were the good years.

554675[/snapback]

That was Cowling dipsh*t :doh:

554487[/snapback]

There was nothing average about Marcus Allen...nothing... :doh:

Marcus Allen was not overrated. He was yet another victim of the real head coach of the Raiders, Al Davis. Davis wanted Bo Jackson to be the feature back, and because of that Allen saw less and less time.

Then when Allen went to the Chiefs he lit up the field and scored many touchdowns. He would have had the all time touchdown record a little longer before Jerry Rice broke it.

I may be wrong but I believe Marcus was the first significant player to hold out and Al Davis grudged on him because of it. As a result Marcus saw less playing time and less numbers.

Marcus Allen was not overated. He was one of the very best of his time.