New structure has disaster written all over it

Of course the irony is that  MM & GW were both supposed to have been TD's guys, but it's not overly apparent that the GM was on the same page as his coaches, and is the likely reason he just earned a one way ticket out of town.  It has been reported that TD didn't exactly listen to the head coach's input in the draft & FA selections.

554708[/snapback]

Not hard to believe. When I think "smash-mouth" offense, Roscoe Parrish isn't the first guy that comes to mind....

...or the second...

...or, well, anywhere in the top 1,000 or so....

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course the irony is that  MM & GW were both supposed to have been TD's guys, but it's not overly apparent that the GM was on the same page as his coaches, and is the likely reason he just earned a one way ticket out of town.  It has been reported that TD didn't exactly listen to the head coach's input in the draft & FA selections.

554708[/snapback]

And not very surprisingly, we just plain weren't a very successful organization under Donahoe, now were we?

JDG

Not hard to believe. When I think "smash-mouth" offense, Roscoe Parrish isn't the first guy that comes to mind....

...or the second...

...or, well, anywhere in the top 1,000 or so....

554717[/snapback]

I hate to disagree with you Lori, but there is perhaps no better smashmouth organization in the NFL than the Pittsburgh Steelers, and the Steelers have used Antwaan Randle-El quite effectively for a few years now. I think even smashmouth organizations need playmakers, and I think Donahoe legitimately saw Parrish as being that sort of playmaker. And with Reed's contract up after this year, and with the possibility of Moulds being a cap casualty this year, he probably saw Parrish is filling a legitimate hole - and being someone we could pair with Evans.

JDG

I hate to disagree with you Lori, but there is perhaps no better smashmouth organization in the NFL than the Pittsburgh Steelers, and the Steelers have used Antwaan Randle-El quite effectively for a few years now.    I think even smashmouth organizations need playmakers, and I think Donahoe legitimately saw Parrish as being that sort of playmaker.  And with Reed's contract up after this year, and with the possibility of Moulds being a cap casualty this year, he probably saw Parrish is filling a legitimate hole - and being someone we could pair with Evans.

JDG

554726[/snapback]

If I'm not mistaken, Antwaan Randle-El was a 4th round pick. Weren't there more obvious needs on this team on both lines and at tight end than a fly weight wide receiver who might fill a hole a year from now.

Why is it nobody remembers that we already ran Marv off once?  The pitchforks were front and center after the 1997 season when the team basically quit on him.  Wade Phillips came in in 1998 and was actually an IMPROVEMENT.  Marv was a good coach, but couldn't put together a staff and was not a real X and O's guy himself and got handled by the better, more gameplan involved coaches of his time, like Gibbs and Parcells.

554567[/snapback]

I always thought (until recently around here) that it was common knowledge Levy got outcoached BAD in those SB's...

Well...at least he owned Shula... :doh:

I hate to disagree with you Lori, but there is perhaps no better smashmouth organization in the NFL than the Pittsburgh Steelers, and the Steelers have used Antwaan Randle-El quite effectively for a few years now.    I think even smashmouth organizations need playmakers, and I think Donahoe legitimately saw Parrish as being that sort of playmaker.  And with Reed's contract up after this year, and with the possibility of Moulds being a cap casualty this year, he probably saw Parrish is filling a legitimate hole - and being someone we could pair with Evans.

JDG

554726[/snapback]

In theory, I might agree with you. In practice, though...

Randle El might not be a big guy, but he's got at least 25 pounds on Parrish. Also, he can take a hit - he did plenty of that playing QB at IU - and he knows how to block. I don't see RP excelling in either of those areas any time soon, and I don't see how he'll ever hold up as a full-time #2 WR.

Just my opinion, of course...

And not very surprisingly, we just plain weren't a very successful organization under Donahoe, now were we?

JDG

554722[/snapback]

Nope. And that's why I believe that Marv is being brought in as the rabbi to mend the broken communication within and without the organization. As said previously, TD had alienatewd many people surrounding the Bills, and Marv would be the perfect guy to set things straight.

The whole discussion in this thread is beside the point that Marv is not going to be the coach, but an administrator, which he did quite well when he was a coach.

good point! although emmitt was pretty damn good himself. this is all bringing back memories of jeff wright wrapping up emmitt in the back field at about the 12 only to be swatted away like a mosquito. emmitt ran in, and the cowboys went up 20-13.

in all fairness, the cowboys were a way more talented team than the bills in 92 and 93.

554532[/snapback]

If 'sure handed Bill Brooks' doesn't drop two easy third down catches in the first half, the Bills are up big at the half, just as the defense is getting into tee it up mode (Ntae's pick).

Add the needles in the TT voodoo doll and we're toast.

Being horrible for 6 years tends to make people romanticize the past.

554661[/snapback]

So true. We constantly readjust our standards ever higher. After 4 consecutive near misses, were we satisfied with Wade? Nope.

But we would be now.

Last year we ran out of town the QB that won 9 games and just missed the playoffs.

But I would like to remind everyone. That 5 wins can still look good. After 2 years of 4 total wins, we might look back and pray for Williams to come back.

Heck we have people on this board, that wish we would have LOST in Cinci.

In short, enjoy each game as it's own contest. But I know that it's only a matter of going 2-6 next year before we hear "The Game has passed Marv by". And if Tom Donohoe has Minn 8-0 with some creative draft day manoeveurs all we'll hear is - how dumb Ralph is for letting him get away.

As fans we reassess history on a weekly basis.

Nope.  And that's why I believe that Marv is being brought in as the rabbi to mend the broken communication within and without the organization.  As said previously, TD had alienatewd many people surrounding the Bills, and Marv would be the perfect guy to set things straight. 

The whole discussion in this thread is beside the point that Marv is not going to be the coach, but an administrator, which he did quite well when he was a coach.

554746[/snapback]

This is exactly why he was brought back. But will it work ? I still wonder if someone else is coming to assist him.

Modrak will run the Draft and could ID the Free Agents we could persue.

Now the key hires will be the OC and DC.

And yeah, it will take a remarkable turnaround for this team to even make the playoffs next year, and I have a hard time seeing a playoff win within two years.    As much as I disagree with Mortensen's defense of Tom Donahoe, I think he did peg one thing exactly right.  This fan base brought out the pitchforks for not making the playoffs this year, and the same fan base also wonders why we don't trot an incompetent JP Losman out there every game for "development", and wonders why we lose games with Losman in at QB.

JDG

554662[/snapback]

Exactly. Damned if you do, damned if you don't by fans not smart enough not to do the wave on offense. I think the colapse in Buffalo has also hurt the intellegence in the fan base which is why Tom Donahoe went with the sound bite effort to keep fans interested.

How many season ticket holders and fans are willing to put up with losing seasons to develop an incompetent JP Losman?

The only way this will work, IMO, is if Ralph really put Marv as GM only in title, with Modrak in charge of the draft and the player personel, working with Marv. Marv is the public face of the team and handles the press and fans and sweettalks free agents and is lovable Uncle Mo. But Modrak is making most of the football decisions behind the scenes and without the responsibility of being the marketing guy and public face and capologist, etc. That way, he could give Mularkey one chance to get the team on the right track.

554397[/snapback]

Well duh. :doh:

Once Modrak was in on the talks and Marv was mentioned as returning, you knew what the deal was. Modrak will run the Draft and help ID the Free Agents. If Marv is in over his head, he call Modraks cell phone, while he's out scouting.

Marv is just a guy Ralph calls every 2 days to say " So, are all my long time emplyoyees around the stadium happy ? " Marv- " Yes Ralph" Ralph - " Fantastic ! " ... Then they'll share some stories about WW II and their current ailments and hang up until the next call.

Most anyone could have figured this out immediately.

Nope.  And that's why I believe that Marv is being brought in as the rabbi to mend the broken communication within and without the organization.  As said previously, TD had alienatewd many people surrounding the Bills, and Marv would be the perfect guy to set things straight. 

554746[/snapback]

I disagree. I think that Marv was brought back as PR move - to cater to the fans who call into Sports Talk Radio.

The Buffalo area has been afflicted with "Golden Age" disease for a long time now. With six years of no playoffs, and even longer without a playoff win, the fans in Buffalo always look back upon the "Golden Age" as a time when everything was right with the world - and somehow believe that anything associated with that magical "Golden Age" is a cure-all for whatever afflicts the Bills in the depressingly realistic President.

How many times have we seen it? When the Bills' Special Teams were bad a few years ago, it was "bring back Steve Tasker as ST Coach." Whenever the offense is struggling, its "bring back the no-huddle", or my personal favorite "bring back Jim Kelly as Offensive Coordinator." And when everything is just plain going badly its "bring back Marv Levy."

I'm sorry, but in my mind, it is impossible to believe that the return of Marv Levy is a football decision. Instead, I see Marv Levy as serving two purposes:

1) Appealing to deluded "Golden Age" Buffalo Bills fans as a PR move to boost sales

2) Improving communication to a meddling owner, who despite being an 87-year-old owner, wants to be involved in some way in the day-to-day football decisions of the organization

And honestly, I am terrified that after another year of struggles under Mularkey that the Bills will finally make the right decision in letting Mularkey go, and that Marv Levy might hire himself as Head Coach.

None of this, though, has the sign of football moves designed to bring us into the future - instead it seems like a bunch of cosmetic moves designed to hang onto the past. Ugh.

JDG

I disagree.  I think that Marv was brought back as PR move - to cater to the fans who call into Sports Talk Radio.

The Buffalo area has been afflicted with "Golden Age" disease for a long time now.  With six years of no playoffs, and even longer without a playoff win, the fans in Buffalo always look back upon the "Golden Age" as a time when everything was right with the world - and somehow believe that anything associated with that magical "Golden Age" is a cure-all for whatever afflicts the Bills in the depressingly realistic President.

How many times have we seen it?    When the Bills' Special Teams were bad a few years ago, it was "bring back Steve Tasker as ST Coach."    Whenever the offense is struggling, its "bring back the no-huddle", or my personal favorite "bring back Jim Kelly as Offensive Coordinator."        And when everything is just plain going badly its "bring back Marv Levy."   

I'm sorry, but in my mind, it is impossible to believe that the return of Marv Levy is a football decision.  Instead, I see Marv Levy as serving two purposes:

1) Appealing to deluded "Golden Age" Buffalo Bills fans as a PR move to boost sales

2) Improving communication to a meddling owner, who despite being an 87-year-old owner, wants to be involved in some way in the day-to-day football decisions of the organization

And honestly, I am terrified that after another year of struggles under Mularkey that the Bills will finally make the right decision in letting Mularkey go, and that Marv Levy might hire himself as Head Coach.

None of this, though, has the sign of football moves designed to bring us into the future - instead it seems like a bunch of cosmetic moves designed to hang onto the past.  Ugh.

JDG

554863[/snapback]

did you ever think of giving levy a chance before condeming him? what has he ever done to suggest that he's not an at least solid-to-good administrator?

the doom and gloom about this is just laughable. wake up! we were 31-49 over the last 5 years!! that's 62-98 in baseball! it's horrible!

maybe, just maybe, marv will get people on the same page, some good personnel decisions will be made, and the bills will be a winning team. think positively - it'll make you feel better.

I disagree.  I think that Marv was brought back as PR move - to cater to the fans who call into Sports Talk Radio.

The Buffalo area has been afflicted with "Golden Age" disease for a long time now.  With six years of no playoffs, and even longer without a playoff win, the fans in Buffalo always look back upon the "Golden Age" as a time when everything was right with the world - and somehow believe that anything associated with that magical "Golden Age" is a cure-all for whatever afflicts the Bills in the depressingly realistic President.

How many times have we seen it?    When the Bills' Special Teams were bad a few years ago, it was "bring back Steve Tasker as ST Coach."    Whenever the offense is struggling, its "bring back the no-huddle", or my personal favorite "bring back Jim Kelly as Offensive Coordinator."        And when everything is just plain going badly its "bring back Marv Levy."   

JDG

554863[/snapback]

And how many times did Ralph Wilson hire Jim Kelly as OC/QB coach, Tasker for ST, Kent Hull for OL, Phil Hansen for DL?

I thought you'd know the difference between fan cackles and what Wilson needs for his organization. I still don't see anything on Levy's resume that would disqualify him from being a good GM.

While certainly more polite than my posts, this is exactly what I have been trying to say ever since Marv was thrust upon us once more.

Everyone wants to use the 4 super bowls as their proof, but they ignore the other pieces of evidence.  Like the fact that he was outcoached every game, regardless who had the better talent.  Like the fact that no one gave a rats ass about his assistants (which is INCONCEIVABLE to me that a team can go 4 straight times and not get cherry-picked). Like the fact that he was run out of town a few short years after our last SB.

And lastly, like the fact that after he was ousted - NO ONE GAVE A sh-- ABOUT HIM.  Can someone name me another "Hall of Fame" coach that NO ONE WANTED WHEN HE WAS AVAILABLE????

554591[/snapback]

Man, I never realized that you're one bitter dude. :doh:

IMO, this is where Marv adds value to this organization at THIS point in time:

"I think Marv can bring a vision to the organization that quite frankly has been lacking pretty much since he left as coach," said Steve Christie, the former Bills kicker who now works for Canadian television.

"Under the previous regime, it was like a weather vane at times. You'd listen to the press conferences with the general manager and the coaches and you had no idea what direction the team was headed. I think Marv is the kind of guy who can determine what the direction should be and get everyone pointed that way."

Rebuilding the Bills, however, wasn't so easy. Levy took over a team that had lost 28 of 32 games over two seasons.

"Marv brought sunlight to a very dark situation when he came," remembered Polian. "He's an optimistic person. When outside forces make it seem like Armageddon, he's liable to drop a one-liner in the most serious discussion. He keeps everyone loose. You enjoy coming to work."

Marv took a cautious approach with his new team. "What the team needed was realism," he said. "This was a weary football team, beaten down mentally by losing. I never mentioned the word 'win.' I talked about performance."

"Marv has respect for everyone's personality," said veteran nose tackle Fred Smerlas. "He doesn't belittle people. He lets them be themselves. It's a whole new world."

Bill Polian HOF intro:

It is said that leadership is that unique quality which enables special people to stand up and pull the rest of us over the horizon. By that or any other definition, Marv Levy is one of the greatest leaders this game has ever known.

Right now, the Bills need leadership, direction and a sense of purpose where everyone is on board and working toward a common goal. Marv can bring that.

For sure it will be up to Modrak to find the right players and Jim Overdorf to handle the contract matters, but I'm willing to bet that Marv can get the team moving in the right direction and lay the groundwork for hiring a more permanent GM maybe in a year or so.