Jeff George?

tbonehawaii

Why Jeff George over Shane Matthews even??

Matthews has played on some god awful teams, and went through a year of the Fun, Duck and Cover offense of Steve Spurrier and still threw 11 TD and 6 INT in 9 games...

40183[/snapback]

Trying not to be manipulated by a Jeff George 'feel good' article. Considering how competitive this league is about every little detail, there has to be a reason why George is not on someone's roster.

I mean, Denver tried him out. Denver, of the Jake Plummer Denvers, and yet George is not playing for Denver.

I am all for Shayn Mathews. How do you know Drew is not the problem? One easy soloution. Give Shayn a start. If we score more then 10 points or can move the chains that should tell you something. Funny Travis Brown looked great last year when he was playing. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Our offense needs some spark and Drewsixpat is not the answer

Imagine what they would be saying on Patsy boards. That is, if Patsy boards existed.

"Things are so bad in Buffalo that their fans want to sign Rob Johnson, Doug Flutie, and/or Jeff George! "

I mean, really. This is the kind of Chicken Little stevestojan we gleefully bring here from other (i.e. Dolfelon) boards for our enjoyment. Are we really no different from them?

-----------------------------------------

When our offensive production is the worst since 1984 when the team was 2-14 I think we as fans who pay for gear, tickets, etc have the right to B word about a QB that does not fit this system.

Drew needs five O lineman that are superheros. No team has this anymore. None. He's outdated. We need mobility for the remainder of the year. And I don't doubt that if JP was healthy he would be in there starting soon.

Drew is done. Great guy, great sense of civic pride. But, he can no longer provide for the Buffalo Bills.

Jeff George was a cancer on any team he played for.

His ego is bigger than his whole body.

40201[/snapback]

Some talking head somewhere in NFL journalist land said that J.P. Losman was "either the next Brett Favre or the next Jeff George".

- If we want to try to avoid having J.P. become the next Jeff George, I would suggest keeping Jeff George away.

Guest Guest_dan_*

When our offensive production is the worst since 1984 when the team was 2-14 I think we as fans who pay for gear, tickets, etc have the right to B word about a QB that does not fit this system.

Drew needs five O lineman that are superheros. No team has this anymore. None. He's outdated. We need mobility for the remainder of the year. And I don't doubt that if JP was healthy he would be in there starting soon.

Drew is done. Great guy, great sense of civic pride. But, he can no longer provide for the Buffalo Bills.

40202[/snapback]

OK. This point has been beaten more than 6 egg omlette. But what what are the alternatives.... Jeff George?? a rookie with a broken leg?? a back up journeyman??

Those aren't alternatives. Those are throwing in the towel and saying we can't win with Drew so, we've decided to stop trying all together. The only option they currently have is to stick with Drew for the time being and hope someone, anyone else on the Offense can do something other than suck wind.

Drew may suck. But the few times he actually makes a pass the WRs drop it. Or the few times he has a pocket the WRs can't get open. The WR gets open but the line falls asleep. All I'm saying is its not 100% Drew's fault. If the rest of the offense played well, he'd still suck; but we would have scored at least 2 more touchdowns this year. The problem right now is that the entire offense is playing like stevestojan - Drew included. And bringing in a guy on crutches isn't going to fix it. So, please lets all get off this JP soapbox.

A couple more interesting tidbits from the same article, albeit further down the page...

It's clear that the Buffalo Bills are doing everything they can to protect quarterback Drew Bledsoe, to play conservatively enough on offense to keep him out of harm's way, and to continue to play great defense. But the Bills learned a tough and painful lesson last week: In the NFL, you have to play to win, and you can't play not to lose. Sure, cornerback Nate Clements committed a cardinal sin when he attempted to intercept the ball, instead of merely batting it away, on a critical fourth-down play that kept alive a last-gasp Jacksonville possession. But the Bills had a ton of opportunities to put the game away and too often blinked. Even some Buffalo players acknowledged to us this week that the coaches have taken the Bledsoe salvaging job to the extreme. Bledsoe, by the way, is just 2-10 in his last dozen road starts, and the Bills play at Oakland on Sunday.

;);)

One of Gibbs' former charges, tackle Bob Whitfield, rebuffed the Falcons' proposal to rejoin the club this week after team officials declined to guarantee his salary for the full season. The Falcons are concerned about the availability of left tackle Kevin Shaffer for Sunday's game against St. Louis, and Whitfield, released in preseason after 12 seasons with Atlanta, might have actually started the game. But if "Big Whit" was going to dig his cleats out of the closet, there was going to be a price tag attached, for sure. And when the Falcons balked, he opted to sit at home, figuring the phone will ring soon. Given the poor tackle play around the league last weekend, and the spate of injuries already on some offensive lines, it's a gamble he might win.

Hmmmm......perhaps Whitfield would like to play RT, thereby moving MW to LG???

40202[/snapback]

I remember 1984 very well. As bad as we looked the last two games...we've got a long way to go to get to 1984.

1984 Bills roster

Our receivers: Preston Dennard, Byron Franklin, Mitchell Brookins, Julius Dawkins, Mike Mosley.

Our tight ends: Tony Hunter, Mark Brammer, Buster Barnett.

Our running backs: Greg Bell, Booker Moore, Speedy Neal.

The linemen: Joe Devlin, Jim Ritcher, Justin Cross, Tim Vogler, Jon Borchardt, Tom Lynch.

The quarterbacks: Joe Ferguson, Joe Dufek, Matt Kofler

Just because we only scored 20 points in 2 games doesn't mean we're worse than the '84 squad. The '84 Bills scored a total of 21 points over three of their games that year. And a number of other times, their defense was SO bad that they threw the ball incessantly to catch up (often against second-stringers), thus padding their offensive stats. We've been in two close games and haven't had that opportunity.

OK Drew apologists-someone please answer this question "What can Drew do that Jeff can't?" I have been told this whole thread should be deleted. Why? What can Drew do that Jeff can't? Jeff has a bigger arm and does not get injured. What the hell does Drew do for the Bills? Hello Mcfly! Could someone please explain what Drew does for this team that Shane Mathews, Jeff George, Travis Brown or JP Losman could not for a hell of alot cheaper.....chirp....chirp...chirp...

PS personal insults do not count-please display some logic

bump

OK Drew apologists-someone please answer this question "What can Drew do that Jeff can't?" I am calling you out John from Hemet, AKC, Campy, Mad Buffalo Disease, guest Dan, Oneida, et all. Please someone explain to me what Drew can do on the football field that Jeff George cannot do. Why is Drew worth $7 million more then Jeff?

Maybe because Jeff George is an !@#$? lol

So was Bruce Smith. TO, Randy Moss, Ray Lewis, many many others in the NFL are !@#$s. The difference between them and Drew besides being an !@#$ is the fact that they have talent and ability. The question was what can Drew do on the football field that Jeff can't? Jeff can make all the throws. Hes just as tough- he has missed fewer games then Drew in his career. The only positives I can think of for Drew are hes a good guy, great arm(Jeffs is better), and hes durable(thats debateable if its a positive-ask Pats fans).

So was Bruce Smith.  TO, Randy Moss, Ray Lewis, many many others in the NFL are !@#$s.  The difference between them and Drew besides being an !@#$ is the fact that they have talent and ability.  The question was what can Drew do on the football field that Jeff can't?  Jeff can make all the throws.  Hes just as tough- he has missed fewer games then Drew in his career.  The only positives I can think of for Drew are hes a good guy, great arm(Jeffs is better), and hes durable(thats debateable if its a positive-ask Pats fans).

40774[/snapback]

Actually, i totally agree with you. I'm not against that guy coming in here at all - bring him in. I just think that the reason he's out of the league is because of his poor rapport with coaches and teammates. But I also think he could behave for one season :D

So was Bruce Smith.  TO, Randy Moss, Ray Lewis, many many others in the NFL are !@#$s.  The difference between them and Drew besides being an !@#$ is the fact that they have talent and ability.  The question was what can Drew do on the football field that Jeff can't?  Jeff can make all the throws.  Hes just as tough- he has missed fewer games then Drew in his career.  The only positives I can think of for Drew are hes a good guy, great arm(Jeffs is better), and hes durable(thats debateable if its a positive-ask Pats fans).

40774[/snapback]

Pete, not to mention, being out of football for so long, and being desperate to get back in can't be a bad thing for an ego. I'm sure Jeff George would be pretty damn humble at this point. And who would have more desire to succeed at this point than this guy?

There is no way you can say George could possibly be more immobile than Drew. I'm convinced Drew lost a lot of speed when he got clobbered in NE trying to run out of bounds, because since then he will rarely ever try to scramble. I have never seen a slower QB, Warner, George, Testaverde, nobody is more prone to being sacked than Drew Bledsoe. So, he's immobile. Well, if he is a quick release, accurate guy, that speed weakness can be negated. HE'S NEITHER. EVen the completions he makes are off target! Watch his throws, even the 5 yard dumps. He is absolutely terrible. His skills are gone people. Have you ever thought that maybe, just maybe, he makes our line and receivers look worse than they really are?? He does. He had lots of time on more than a few snaps last weekend and did nothing with them!

I do know one thing. You people laugh and joke about Doug Flutie but we would NOT be 0-2 under Flutie. I'd rather have JP learn to play the game from a competitor like him than a washed up guy like Drew. If Flutie is so useless and can't teach younger guys, why does SD hang onto him??