Early Draft/Random Thoughts

Mike F

It appears that the Bills, if they draft well (largely dependent on who the next GM is) can go a long way towards fixing a lot of the issues on the OL and DL (our biggest areas of need).

We have four of the first seventy two picks, when you factor in the high third round pick that we "stole" from the Titans (for lunk head Travis). Include some money saved by reworking contracts (or dropping them all together), like Moulds (love you Eric, but you are overpaid now) and Mike Williams.

That cache of picks, plus the money available under the cap for Free Agency should be used on both lines, period. We have solid skill players on offense, and a pretty good back seven on defense. Bulk up both lines and I think we are right back in the mix (and JP will actually have some time to look for a secondary receiver).

If the rumors are true, and TD is gone, why not give Modrak the job? He has been here for a few years and is familiar with the team, the remaining staff and of course, Ralph. It would be a cheaper way to fill the slot, since he is already on the books, right?

More on Modrak..........if he is truly the man (assuming he inherits the GM job), I look to the Eagles teams he had a hand in developing. In other words, he is really good at what he does, when he has final say (unlike the past few seasons).

Modrak (drawing on the Eagles philosophy), may not be enamored with overpaying veterans. Say goodbye Nate, Jeff Posey and maybe Lawyer Milloy............oh, and take Mike Williams with you. We can do better with younger players, or up and coming Free Agents.

I am still waiting for McGahee (and his butt head agent) to start clamoring for a new contract.............I hope I am wrong, but I can see this coming in the next few months.

Losing to the Jets hurts, but I would rather pick 8th, after an otherwise lost season.

Financially, Mularky stays................but I am not a fan and he is going to be on a short leash from this point foward. I do see a request from upper management for changes within his coaching staff, starting with the offensive coordinator. Could we see Sam Wyche taking over that side of the ball?

Angelo Crowell, who will take Posey's place next year, will be a stud. A LB corp of TKO, Fletcher and Crowell looks nice to me.

The 2006 schedule (yes, I know the order and such is yet to be determined), looks like it not as tough as 2005's slate. With a good offseason (and please God, better lines), I am looking foward to next year. :unsure:

Here's to that, and to all of you here on the Wall.................Mike

It appears that the Bills, if they draft well (largely dependent on who the next GM is) can go a long way towards fixing a lot of the issues on the OL and DL (our biggest areas of need).

We have four of the first seventy two picks, when you factor in the high third round pick that we "stole" from the Titans (for lunk head Travis).    Include some money saved by reworking contracts (or dropping them all together), like Moulds (love you Eric, but you are overpaid now) and Mike Williams.

That cache of picks, plus the money available under the cap for Free Agency should be used on both lines, period.  We have solid skill players on offense, and a pretty good back seven on defense.      Bulk up both lines and I think we are right back in the mix (and JP will actually have some time to look for a secondary receiver).

If the rumors are true, and TD is gone, why not give Modrak the job?    He has been here for a few years and is familiar with the team, the remaining staff and of course, Ralph.    It would be a cheaper way to fill the slot, since he is already on the books, right?   

More on Modrak..........if he is truly the man (assuming he inherits the GM job), I look to the Eagles teams he had a hand in developing.    In other words, he is really good at what he does, when he has final say (unlike the past few seasons).

Modrak (drawing on the Eagles philosophy), may not be enamored with overpaying veterans.    Say goodbye Nate, Jeff Posey and maybe Lawyer Milloy............oh, and take Mike Williams with you.    We can do better with younger players, or up and coming Free Agents.

I am still waiting for McGahee (and his butt head agent) to start clamoring for a new contract.............I hope I am wrong, but I can see this coming in the next few months.

Losing to the Jets hurts, but I would rather pick 8th, after an otherwise lost season.

Financially, Mularky stays................but I am not a fan and he is going to be on a short leash from this point foward.    I do see a request from upper management for changes within his coaching staff, starting with the offensive coordinator.    Could we see Sam Wyche taking over that side of the ball?

Angelo Crowell, who will take Posey's place next year, will be a stud.      A LB corp of TKO, Fletcher and Crowell looks nice to me.

The 2006 schedule (yes, I know the order and such is yet to be determined), looks like it not as tough as 2005's slate.    With a good offseason (and please God, better lines), I am looking foward to next year.  :unsure:

549031[/snapback]

Lazy thinking regarding Modrak.Looking to the success of the Eagles to make a judgement on Modrak is no different than looking at the success of the Steelers to make a judgement on Tom D. Tom D wasn't making his decisions in a vacum,he was leaning heavily on Modrak advice. Modrak is old .We need someone a younger and energetic.Besides,I don't trust the judgement of anyone that passes on Ricky Williams over Donovan McNab regardless of 20 20 hindsight tells us.Say No to Tom Modrak.

I wouldn't be too excited if our big offseason "re-structuring" was TD leaving and Modrak being promoted. I have a hard time believing that all the personnel moves would have been awesome if only TD had listened to Modrak.

I wouldn't be too excited if our big offseason "re-structuring" was TD leaving and Modrak being promoted.  I have a hard time believing that all the personnel moves would have been awesome if only TD had listened to Modrak.

549059[/snapback]

How do you know TD didn't listen to Modrak?What was Modrak being paid for?

Not so much lazy thinking (of which I can do pretty well at times :unsure: ), but more of an effort to think along the same lines as Ralph.......especially when you factor in the financial aspect of the situation.

Buyouts are not cheap, so making a change and limiting the financial damage of the move is an attractive option, IMO.

A change is needed, for sure................Modrak is not a bad option. Maybe not the best, but better then the status quo.

Mike

Not so much lazy thinking (of which I can do pretty well at times  :unsure: ), but more of an effort to think along the same lines as Ralph.......especially when you factor in the financial aspect of the situation.

Buyouts are not cheap, so making a change and limiting the financial damage of the move is an attractive option, IMO.

A change is needed, for sure................Modrak is not a bad option.  Maybe not the best, but better then the status quo.

Mike

549077[/snapback]

Disagree. Modrak is the status quo

Modrak is old .We need someone a  younger and energetic.Besides,I don't trust the judgement of anyone that passes on Ricky Williams over Donovan McNab regardless of 20 20 hindsight tells us.Say No to Tom Modrak.

549055[/snapback]

I'm not in favor of moving Modrak to GM, but the logic about passing on Ricky Williams for McNabb makes no sense to me. 20-20 hindsight proves that he made the right decision. That's like saying, had Donahoe passed on Williams to draft OT Levi Jones, who is becoming a real stud, that would've been a bad move and Donahoe was a bad GM because of it. I mean... isn't the essence of being a good GM going against the grain of popular belief and stealing the true talent out of drafts that is passed on?

IF the media reports are accurate, it seems that I was right on the money with my post last night (not in a braggart sort of way, but it just made too much sense to me not to happen).

Finances dictate moves, sometimes.............not so much lazy thinking! :unsure:

One more issue about Modrak.............he did well in both of his previous spots (PIT, PHIL), when he was the man actually in charge.

I am sure he had some input, but I can't see TD giving him carte blanche. Think about TD's tenure in Pittsburgh..............he and Cower butted heads, and TD eventually left because of it. I don't see anyone, Modrak included, having more then a small role in the final decision making process.

With that being said, I am all for giving Modrak a shot to run the ship. And, having Marv as an advisor (or perhaps the President) can only help, IMO.

I want to see Sam Wyche as the new OC.

Mike

We have four of the first seventy two picks, when you factor in the high third round pick that we "stole" from the Titans (for lunk head Travis).    Include some money saved by reworking contracts (or dropping them all together), like Moulds (love you Eric, but you are overpaid now) and Mike Williams.

That cache of picks, plus the money available under the cap for Free Agency should be used on both lines, period.  We have solid skill players on offense, and a pretty good back seven on defense.      Bulk up both lines and I think we are right back in the mix (and JP will actually have some time to look for a secondary receiver).

If the rumors are true, and TD is gone, why not give Modrak the job?    He has been here for a few years and is familiar with the team, the remaining staff and of course, Ralph.    It would be a cheaper way to fill the slot, since he is already on the books, right?   

More on Modrak..........if he is truly the man (assuming he inherits the GM job), I look to the Eagles teams he had a hand in developing.    In other words, he is really good at what he does, when he has final say (unlike the past few seasons).

Modrak (drawing on the Eagles philosophy), may not be enamored with overpaying veterans.    Say goodbye Nate, Jeff Posey and maybe Lawyer Milloy............oh, and take Mike Williams with you.    We can do better with younger players, or up and coming Free Agents.

Financially, Mularky stays................but I am not a fan and he is going to be on a short leash from this point foward.    I do see a request from upper management for changes within his coaching staff, starting with the offensive coordinator.    Could we see Sam Wyche taking over that side of the ball?

Angelo Crowell, who will take Posey's place next year, will be a stud.      A LB corp of TKO, Fletcher and Crowell looks nice to me.

The 2006 schedule (yes, I know the order and such is yet to be determined), looks like it not as tough as 2005's slate.    With a good offseason (and please God, better lines), I am looking foward to next year.  :D

549031[/snapback]

MM=Doomed in 2006... :unsure:

I wouldn't be too excited if our big offseason "re-structuring" was TD leaving and Modrak being promoted.  I have a hard time believing that all the personnel moves would have been awesome if only TD had listened to Modrak.

549059[/snapback]

Like I said, we fired the Bank Robber and hired the get away driver!

...a comp pick for Pat Williams.

Comp picks aren't awarded for individual player losses.

That said, the Bills should get decent compensatory selections, given that they lost two starters along the lines in Williams and Jennings. I'm not too familiar with the players they added through free agency, though, so that could affect the compensation.

Comp picks aren't awarded for individual player losses.

That said, the Bills should get decent compensatory selections, given that they lost two starters along the lines in Williams and Jennings.  I'm not too familiar with the players they added through free agency, though, so that could affect the compensation.

551687[/snapback]

The Bills lost 2 starters (Jennings & Phat Pat)

and gained 2 starters (Gandy and Fat Bennie)...

could be a push. :unsure:

The Bills lost 2 starters (Jennings & Phat Pat)

and gained 2 starters (Gandy and Fat Bennie)...

could be a push. :unsure:

Nah, it looks like the players lost were better than the players signed.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Holcomb started half the season and put up solid numbers, which could swing things.

In any case, it should be interesting to see how things shake out.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Holcomb started half the season and put up solid numbers, which could swing things.

551700[/snapback]

I forgot about Holcomb... I don't think we're getting any comp picks now.

549059[/snapback]

They both have their own way of going about things....I'm not worried in the least....in a few years, we'll be back in the thick of things

MM=Doomed in 2006... :unsure:

551681[/snapback]

Can I get an amen?!

Last year, I thought MM was the right guy for the Bills. He seemed genuine, straightforward (+/-).

This year, all the good was gone. In it's place, the trick play bullsh1t, even the cleverer-than-thou personnel dealings, where he alienates the veteran players.

And to take play-calling away from his old buddy the OC. Geez krikey!

MM has really let me down. He should go.

And hey Ralph, how about going easy on the FIVE-YEAR contracts for unproven coaches.

551700[/snapback]

is there any other criteria used in determining comp picks...such as defense going from 2nd to 140th after loss of "Fat Pat"? or O-Line being actually worse than last year after loss of JJ?...but seriuosly the stats show bills criticaly dropped in both categories...

is there any other criteria used in determining comp picks...such as defense going from 2nd to 140th after loss of "Fat Pat"? or O-Line being actually worse than last year after loss of JJ?...but seriuosly the stats show bills criticaly dropped in both categories...

551900[/snapback]

The total value of the contract the player signed for, his amount of playing time (injury does not count, I think), and any postseason honors such as the Pro Bowl are all factors.