GO IRISH!!

bartshan-83

Been a great year, far better than I would have imagined for my boys. I think we can take OSU down, no one besides Michigan has yet to slow our offense. And most importantly, its hard to bet against Charlie Weis with a month to prepare.

GO IRISH!

Bart

548812[/snapback]

We'll see. I think it will be the most exciting game of the day. Alabama vs. Texas Tech got excting late, but I have a feeling that this game will be a fight to the finish. Final Score prediction-

Ohio State 33

Notre Dame 30

Nice officiating. I'll agree that that wasn't a catch therefore wasn't a fumble but that "block in the back" call was absolutely horrible and had ZERO effect on the play. #15 was 10 yards behind Z when he began his return. Total BS.

Oh, and they've missed numerous BLATANT holding calls on both teams at the LOS. One bad one happened on ND's last scoring drive when the RT absolutely tackled the RDE with a horse collar. The referee was looking right at it.

:D

You don't make the plays, you don't win the game. Our defense was exposed and once again, my good friend Ambrose "Toast" Wooden proved that he belongs on the sidelines. I really hope Charlie is recruiting some big time CBs.

Officiating was terrible, IMO. First, I really thought it was a fumble. He caught it, got TWO feet down and then bobbled it. I must have TiVo re-wound it 40 times. That play completely changed the game. Also agree with Darin, numerous holding calls completely ignored for both teams. I thought it especially humorous when the sideline announcer was reviewing the last TD run for OSU and he heaped praise on the the WR blocking downfield and meanwhile he had a fistful of jersey. But whatever....also thought the personal foul penalties were all BS. It's football. The most obvious one of the game (helmet to helmet on Quinn during last scoring drive) was not called however. Go figure.

Ginn is an animal and Smith played one of the best games I've ever seen for a college QB. He made all the right plays at all the right times. Only two blemishes were the fumbles (both were his fault IMO even though one was probably charged to the RB).

We had our chances and despite our defensive struggles, I really was disappointed that the offense couldn't find its touch. We could have won this game despite giving up 34.

Last point, Brent Musburger has been moved up significantly on my list of annoying, jackass announcers. My favorite gem from him tonight:

"They've really shut down Samardzija. It is obvious that their gameplan was to hit him immediately every time he catches the ball."

Brilliant Brent.....as opposed to the the other players whom I'm assuming they were trying to let run around for awhile before they hit them. :unsure::)

Future is looking bright....could see this as a re-match next year....for the NATL Championship.

peace

Bart

:unsure:

You don't make the plays, you don't win the game. Our defense was exposed an once again, my good friend Ambrose "Toast" Wooden proved that he belongs on the sidelines. I really hope Charlie is recruiting some big time CBs.

Officiating was terrible, IMO. First, I really thought it was a fumble. He caught it, got TWO feet down and then bobbled it. I must have TiVo re-wound it 40 times. That play completely changed the game. Also agree with Darin, numerous holding calls completely ignored for both teams. I thought it especially humorous when the sideline announcer was reviewing the last TD run for OSU and he heaped praise on the the WR blocking downfield and meanwhile he had a fistful of jersey. But whatever....also thought the personal foul penalties were all BS. It's football. The most obvious one of the game (helmet to helmet on Quinn during last scoring drive) was not called however. Go figure.

Ginn is an animal and Smith played one of the best games I've ever seen for a college QB. He made all the right plays at all the right times. Only two blemishes were the fumbles (both were his fault IMO even though one was probably charged to the RB).

We had our chances and despite our defensive struggles, I really was disappointed that the offense couldn't find its touch. We could have won this game despite giving up 34.

Last point, Brent Musburger has been moved up significantly on my list of annoying, jackass announcers. My favorite gem from his tonight:

"They've really shut down Samardzija. It is obvious that their gameplan was to hit him immediately every time he catches the ball."

Brilliant Brent.....as opposed to the the other players whom I'm assuming they were trying to let run around for awhile before they hit them.

Future is looking bright....could see this as a re-match next year....for the NATL Championship.

peace

Bart

549580[/snapback]

Good summary. I thought it was a fumble too and would have changed the game, but they didn't deserve to win. ND lost this game on third down defense. How many 3d and longs did OSU convert? 10? If they can make even a couple of stops, they would have had a shot.

Oh well....it was a great season for ND. Looking forward to fall.

Good summary.  I thought it was a fumble too and would have changed the game, but they didn't deserve to win.  ND lost this game on third down defense.  How many 3d and longs did OSU convert?  10?  If they can make even a couple of stops, they would have had a shot.

Oh well....it was a great season for ND.  Looking forward to fall.

549624[/snapback]

Very disapointing if you're an Irish fan after that first offensive drive that was outstanding. Also how many plays of over 50 yards did Ohio State have tonight?

Ginn is an animal

You might want to go with a different adjective there.

Agreed that he's an out of this world athlete, but the more I see him, the less interested he becomes in playing football. I only saw a bit of the game but Ginn did more in the 1stqrtr than he's done all year for OSU.

When he puts up a sick 40 time, somebody's going to draft him real high. Soon after they may end up finding out he's short on brains and balls.

Cya

You might want to go with a different adjective there.

Agreed that he's an out of this world athlete, but the more I see him, the less interested he becomes in playing football. I only saw a bit of the game but Ginn did more in the 1stqrtr than he's done all year for OSU.

When he puts up a sick 40 time, somebody's going to draft him real high. Soon after they may end up finding out he's short on brains and balls.

Cya

549721[/snapback]

I actually agree very much. He did have a very disappointing season. However, he does have the tools, and his potential is sky high. But you are correct, he is going to have to decide to get his head in the game more. If he can step up and be the man with Santonio gone next year, then I'd feel confident that he has turned the corner.

I actually agree very much. He did have a very disappointing season. However, he does have the tools, and his potential is sky high. But you are correct, he is going to have to decide to get his head in the game more. If he can step up and be the man with Santonio gone next year, then I'd feel confident that he has turned the corner.

549935[/snapback]

Since he was a High School QB and CB playing for his Dad, I think he knows the game a little. His Buckeye Freshman season was his first year ever as a WR. Not bad.

This year, he was double covered every game ( since I actually watch their games ). Smith is an erratic QB who looked only for Holmes and Gonzales in many games. I do have my questions about him but he's still learning the WR position. Last year, he got by on athletic ability. He now needs to become a disciplined route runner, like Holmes. They sky is the limit for him. His obvious big play ability is 2nd only to Reggie Bush.

Since he was a High School QB and CB playing for his Dad, I think he knows the game a little. His Buckeye Freshman season was his first year ever as a WR. Not bad.

This year, he was double covered every game ( since I actually watch their games ). Smith is an erratic QB who looked only for Holmes and Gonzales in many games. I do have my questions about him but he's still learning the WR position. Last year, he got by on athletic ability. He now needs to become a disciplined route runner, like Holmes. They sky is the limit for him. His obvious big play ability is 2nd only to Reggie Bush.

550049[/snapback]

I'm not really trying to argue with you about it because you probably saw him more and actually I don't really feel strongly about it either way. However, my opinion that he had a disappointing season is well supported I think. 50 catches for 700 yds. and 4 TDs is pretty unimpressive for someone who was a darkhorse Heisman candidate this year. Yes, the expectations were probably unrealistic, but the bar was set nonetheless. Before Michigan and Notre Dame, he had 34 catches for 547 yds and 3 TDs in 10 games. He did shine in the next two considerably, but the bulk of his season was a huge flop. Double covered or not, he was playing opposite a 1st team All-American WR who will be the first WR taken in the draft. I'll have to take your word the Smith did not look at him, because I only saw 3 OSU games this year.

And also, the fact that his dad is a high school coach does not really convince me that he is a football genius. My comment about getting his head into the game wasn't really about his lack of knowledge, but more his lack of performance. Maybe it was Smith, maybe it was the double-teams, but he did not come close to the hype that surrounded him for the end of last year and all summer long. He has a lot to learn about the WR position and if he does develop, I agree with you that he will be an extremely electifying player in the league.

Watching the HS All-America game, and ND has commitments from 26 players, and if I heard right, 12 of them playing in this game. Including the highest-rated OT.

Wow, we're going to see what Weis does now that he has a team of his own making. Seeing what he was able to get from that group this year.... ND is headed places.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.