One big positive from today....

sven233

We finally saw the real Willis McGahee. This was his best game of the year. The moves he was making today showed me flashes of what I thought we were going to get all year. Unfortunately it took until the last game of the year to see it.

Now, I do realize that our O-Line stinks. Inf fact, if you read any of my posts you know I am one of the harshest critics of the line. BUT, this is the first time I saw Willis RUN.

The play that did it for me was fairly early in the game if I remember. I don't remember exactly when it was, but if it stood out to you, you will remember it as well. Willis took the ball up the middle where there was no hole whatsover (what's new?), but Willis made a cut outside to the right side and gained about 10 on the play. The cut that he made reminded me of what he used to look like in college. He cut on a dime and just outran everyone to the outside. It was the first time I have seen him make a cut like that in the pros. He had another run where he slashed right through the defense making guys miss in the hole as well.

He ran stron today and for the first time showed me something this year. He fas running fast, low, making great cuts and NO dancing. He was dragging defenders with him as well and fighting for those extra yards.

I know this sounds like I am just praising him, and maybe I am, but for the first time this year, I saw him run like a star. Also, for the first time this year, I thought the coaches used him better. Granted they still need to get him more involved (especially in the passing game....made a very nice catch and run for a first.....he CAN catch the ball), but they did use him a little better. Also, they have to use him on the most importnat drives of the game. I DON'T UNDERSTAND, BUT ON THE POTENTIAL GAME WINNING DRIVE HE IS ON THE SIDELINES!!!!! SHAUD WILLIAMS IS ON THE FIELD FOR THE MOST IMPORTANT DRIVE OF THE GAME??????????????? MAKES NO SENSE! Willis is your best back.......NO DOUBT. He was having a great game and he is not on the field when it matters most...I DON'T UNDERSTAND. But, I should be used to it by now. These idiot coachs have been doing this all year.

Well, this strated out as a positive thread, but ended in frustration. And look...........it all came back to the coaches and their mistakes and the fact that they don't use their talent right. Sums up the season.

Oh well, great game Willis!

I wouldn't go saying one of 16 games shows the real Willis. The real Willis was the guy we saw throughout the year, and that was a guy who didn't seem to try to hard, lacks the burst of speed he once had, can't hit a hole, and most importantly in this league, can't make many guys miss. I saw one great move by Houston today near the line and thought, If only Willis could make that move to get into a hole.

He's was overrated coming into this season. And his "showing up" today against a 4-12 team is hardly reason for optimism.

He's a decent back, but he's not an elite back. If given the right OL and an attitude adjustment (something he never got at the "U" and something Mularkey can't deliver) this guy could be a 1300 back every year with 10 TDs. But if you think he's ever scoring 20 and getting 1600+ yards, you're kidding yourself. He's no Tomlinson or Alexander.

Well, I know what you are saying. I didn't say he was going to star (although I do think he can if things fall right), but what I did say is that he showed flashes of what we were all expecting from him. Today he did show the ability to make quick cuts and did show speed to the outside. Now, will he continue to do this? Who knows.

But this game showed he can if he wants to. Looked like a totally different back today. But, who knows.....he might never show it again. But TODAY, against a 4-12 team, he did it up right. I'm just hoping that this will carry over. Only time will tell.

Post raises the great question of why the OC would keep running threat on the sideline down 4 with 3 minutes left in the game. Would LT, Tiki or Larry Johnson be taken out in the last 5 minutes ever? NO!!! Heck even to keep McGahee in so the linebackers have to stay home instead of breaking up one of our patented slant or IN routes that are the only routes #10 can complete because he has a rag arm. I agree Willis should have gotten 30 carries - if he had it a few more times Bills would have won and for that matter could have won in Miami or Foxboro...

Exactly....all comes down to coaching. THESE COACHES DO NOT PUT THEIR PLAYERS IN A POSITION TO WIN!!! Simple as that. Strange to see perhaps your biggest offensive threat on the sidelines at the MOST IMPORTANT POINT IN THE GAME!!!!

Who do you think defenses are more scared of? McGahee or Williams? Hmmmmmmmmmm............Let's make it easier on the defense by taking out our best guy. That will confuse the Defense because they will have no idea where the ball is going.

INT........well, at least Williams was a great decoy!

These coaches are idiots.

can't hit a hole

I saw one great move by Houston today near the line and thought, If only Willis could make that move to get into a hole.

547848[/snapback]

0:);)

Holes need to be created before they can be hit. The holes you are talking about are filled with a waiting DT or LB, or the ass of one of his linemen.

I think Mike Williams is a lot better than everyone gives him credit for. Granted, he is expensive and injury prone, but it's no coincidence that Willis was near the top of the NFL in rushing yards halfway through the season, and then failed to break 100 for the next 7-8 games with Big Mike out of the lineup.

Willis' best games of his career have come against the Jets last year and earlier this year, so it's not a surprise that he put up a good number today.

We finally saw the real Willis McGahee.  This was his best game of the year.  The moves he was making today showed me flashes of what I thought we were going to get all year.  Unfortunately it took until the last game of the year to see it. 

Now, I do realize that our O-Line stinks.  Inf fact, if you read any of my posts you know I am one of the harshest critics of the line.  BUT, this is the first time I saw Willis RUN. 

The play that did it for me was fairly early in the game if I remember.  I don't remember exactly when it was, but if it stood out to you, you will remember it as well.  Willis took the ball up the middle where there was no hole whatsover (what's new?), but Willis made a cut outside to the right side and gained about 10 on the play.  The cut that he made reminded me of what he used to look like in college.  He cut on a dime and just outran everyone to the outside.  It was the first time I have seen him make a cut like that in the pros.  He had another run where he slashed right through the defense making guys miss in the hole as well. 

He ran stron today and for the first time showed me something this year.  He fas running fast, low, making great cuts and NO dancing.  He was dragging defenders with him as well and fighting for those extra yards.

I know this sounds like I am just praising him, and maybe I am, but for the first time this year, I saw him run like a star.  Also, for the first time this year, I thought the coaches used him better.  Granted they still need to get him more involved (especially in the passing game....made a very nice catch and run for a first.....he CAN catch the ball), but they did use him a little better.  Also, they have to use him on the most importnat drives of the game.  I DON'T UNDERSTAND, BUT ON THE POTENTIAL GAME WINNING DRIVE HE IS ON THE SIDELINES!!!!!  SHAUD WILLIAMS IS ON THE FIELD FOR THE MOST IMPORTANT DRIVE OF THE GAME???????????????  MAKES NO SENSE!  Willis is your best back.......NO DOUBT.  He was having a great game and he is not on the field when it matters most...I DON'T UNDERSTAND.  But, I should be used to it by now.  These idiot coachs have been doing this all year. 

Well, this strated out as a positive thread, but ended in frustration.  And look...........it all came back to the coaches and their mistakes and the fact that they don't use their talent right.  Sums up the season.

Oh well, great game Willis!

547829[/snapback]

Your right about this, I saw some nice shake and bake moves out of him for the first time in a while. I still think he needs to lose 20 pounds to reach his potential.

Your right about this, I saw some nice shake and bake moves out of him for the first time in a while. I still think he needs to lose 20 pounds to reach his potential.

547924[/snapback]

You know, that is a good point. I brought this up earlier in the year when everyone first started trashing Willis saying that he doesn't have enough speed, can't make people miss, etc. I brought up the point that he is a totally differnt style of back now than before the injury.

Whether that is better or not I think still remains to be seen. Hard to make any judgments with him running behind this line. HOWEVER, being a Hurricane fan, I am longing for the days where he just takes a screen pass and just runs right by everyone else. Dare I say the way Regie Bush is doing it now? I have been comparing Bush now to what McGahee was PRE-INJURY. Very similar. But now, McGahee, with the extra bulk and weight is not the same runner. That said, I agree with you..........I hope he does drop a little weight in the offseason. Let's see if he can get a little of that style back that he used to have. I think somewhere in the middle of where he was and is is where he should be.

But yes, good point about the weight. We'll see what happens.......Where's Rusty Jones when you need him?

You know, that is a good point.  I brought this up earlier in the year when everyone first started trashing Willis saying that he doesn't have enough speed, can't make people miss, etc.  I brought up the point that he is a totally differnt style of back now than before the injury. 

Whether that is better or not I think still remains to be seen.  Hard to make any judgments with him running behind this line.  HOWEVER, being a Hurricane fan, I am longing for the days where he just takes a screen pass and just runs right by everyone else.  Dare I say the way Regie Bush is doing it now?  I have been comparing Bush now to what McGahee was PRE-INJURY.  Very similar.  But now, McGahee, with the extra bulk and weight is not the same runner.  That said, I agree with you..........I hope he does drop a little weight in the offseason.  Let's see if he can get a little of that style back that he used to have.  I think somewhere in the middle of where he was and is is where he should be. 

But yes, good point about the weight.  We'll see what happens.......Where's Rusty Jones when you need him?

547959[/snapback]

Speaking of the Hurricanes, how is Larry Cocker (sp?) holding his job after two un-like Miami seasons?

Speaking of the Hurricanes, how is Larry Cocker (sp?) holding his job after two un-like Miami seasons?

547969[/snapback]

Good question.........especially after that pounding we took the other night. That was a pathetic performance. The team WAS NOT ready to play. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

I say "where were you the rest of the season, Willis?"  That goes for Eric Moulds too.

P.S....Keep in mind who we were playing for you get all excited.

PTR

547982[/snapback]

O-Line play, it begins with that. I would also add poor play calling. Willis should have had more carries this season. Also, without Moulds moving the chains we would have given Houston a good run for the worst record in the league.

I say "where were you the rest of the season, Willis?"  That goes for Eric Moulds too.

P.S....Keep in mind who we were playing for you get all excited.

PTR

547982[/snapback]

Maybe Losman was really, really, bad?????

I wouldn't go saying one of 16 games shows the real Willis. The real Willis was the guy we saw throughout the year, and that was a guy who didn't seem to try to hard, lacks the burst of speed he once had, can't hit a hole, and most importantly in this league, can't make many guys miss. I saw one great move by Houston today near the line and thought, If only Willis could make that move to get into a hole.

He's was overrated coming into this season. And his "showing up" today against a 4-12 team is hardly reason for optimism.

He's a decent back, but he's not an elite back. If given the right OL and an attitude adjustment (something he never got at the "U" and something Mularkey can't deliver) this guy could be a 1300 back every year with 10 TDs. But if you think he's ever scoring 20 and getting 1600+ yards, you're kidding yourself. He's no Tomlinson or Alexander.

547848[/snapback]

1st Year - 697

2nd Year - 488 (injury shortened season)

3rd Year - 742

Yet the owner of these stats turned out to be one of games best, an HOF'er. It might still be a bit early to write McGahee off just yet. We haven't seen what he's capable of with a line that can actually move and block.

I wouldnt say this was willis's best game. His best game imo was last year against the jets. This game though like the original poster stated he made a lot of nice cut moves with no wasted dancing and just broke on it, something I haven't seen him do in awhile. He has played well against the jets the past 2 years. but I was impressed with what I saw. I have no doubt in mind with a an improved oline and more commitment to the run next year he's a 1500 double digit td back. He might not run 4.24 40 anymore, his 40 time post injury was 4.5. which is still plenty fast. Just for comparison Larry Johnson ran a 4.66 40 coming out of PSU. We should be building this team around Willis. Lets hope whoever is the gm and coach gives us this offense an idenity next seaosn by building around the best player on the unit.