Screw the Run

Mickey

So is offensive football.  For every Trent Dilfer, I can name for you several Joe Montana's, Steve Young's, Joe Namath's, Brett Favre's, Johnny Unitas', Sonny Jurgensen's and plenty more where they came from.  But yeah, there once was a Trent Dilfer who won a SB.  Lets spend a lifetime trying to prove that you can win a SB with mediocre QB.

545648[/snapback]

Well Mick, Dilfer was not the only average qb to win a superbowl. Not only that, I am thinking that cold weather teams need to run the football more than others....BUT, the real reason I am posting was to praise the style and sarcasm of the above. Good stuff! :lol::D

Right, because all you need for successful running is to run a lot.  Actually gaining yards and getting first downs isn't meaningful, its just attempts.  Willis would have a lot more runs if we had more first downs, hence more plays, hence more opportunities to run.

I was not suggesting that teams sit on 7 point leads at all.  Fact is though, teams with a big enough lead, especially in the 4thQ, start to run more. 

For example: Wk 4, SD beats NE 41-14, runs the ball 25 times in the second half, 17 times in the fourth quarter alone.

545740[/snapback]

Obviously you need to pass effectively as well, nobody is arguing otherwise. I take issue with your idea that running the ball isn't important. As for the attempts thing if you have lots of attempts it means you're picking up first downs. A lot of 3 and outs doesn't equate to a lot of attempts...

I for one am more than tired of the "smash mouth football" philosophy that is so worshipped hereabouts as a self evident truth when it comes to winning football games.

Scoring points wins games.  The Bills of the '90's weren't worried about how many times they ran or threw or what the time of possession stat was, they did whatever they had to do to score points.

Fast forward to this team and with guys like Moulds and Evans and a young QB who can extend plays, pass plays anyway, we spend the entire year trying to inch the ball forward by running predictably often and despite the fact of having a crappy line.  Shock of shocks, our offense accordingly sucks.

Forget the smash mouth machismo crap.  Rushing TDs: 6, Passing TDs: 16.  I know it is absolute heresy around here but it looks to me like maybe the problem isn't that we didn't run enough but that we didn't throw enough.

If you take a QB with the raw skills of a young Brett Favre and then demand that he play an offense designed for Trent Dilfer, don't be surprised when your stud  ends up being Trent Dilfer.

545623[/snapback]

i totally disagree with you.the bills teams of the 90's actually scored way too fast a lot of the time.some times we had scoring drives of like 3 minutes and then our defense was back on the field.and in the 90's late in the year thurman thomas was able to run the ball.you cannot be a passing team in buffalo in december.you have to be able to run the ball in bad weather.smashmouth football may not be pretty ,but it is winning football.look at the year we lost to the giants in the superbowl.the giants knocked off a powerhouse like san fran.a good defense will always stop a top offense.go bills in'06