What is the cap hit if Williams is cut?

turftoe

If we keep the clown, he will cost $10.814Million for 2006 without restructuring.

If we cut the clown, the cap hit will be $4.907Million for ONLY 2006, then we are free of any further hits after 2006.

542867[/snapback]

... I say "cut the clown" ! ... nice post ... made me laugh ... tom

If we keep the clown, he will cost $10.814Million for 2006 without restructuring.

If we cut the clown, the cap hit will be $4.907Million for ONLY 2006, then we are free of any further hits after 2006.

542867[/snapback]

You Sir, raise a very important point. Williams already counts a ton (pun intended) toward our 07 salary cap as well as 06.

Dumping him would free up boat loads of cash for 2 years when taking this into account.

what are the chances we can restructure his large contract, making his cap hit after release to be around the same if we restructure.

I'd rather not have to pay 5 million for an invisable player,. Maybe he can play RG since I think we are all pretty sure that Villarrial is close to the end.

Thats a good thing to do, only if you feel that he will be there for the the length of the restructure. You can cut his salary down to guard money, but we have no idea at this point IF he can play guard. So doing that is taking a big risk in that a year from now, you may want to cut him anyway, and now with a re-structured, likely extended, higher signing bonus contract. (likely would happen as salary would be converted to bonus $$) Now we'd be eating an even larger bonus in 07.

Pure speculation here (which equals about 99% of everything written on this site) but it wouldn't surprise me to find out that the reason the Bill's didn't re-structure MW last year was cause they knew if they did, they'd be re-structuring someone who has played well for about a half of year out of the first three. Would he continue to improve? My guess is the Bill's felt, lets see him show the same improvement, next year again in 05, then we'll talk a major re-structure. But instead he's regressed, so why re-do a contract on someone that has so many question marks? You never want to re-do the contract of an unknown. Probably one of the smart moves TD did in not doing anything.

what are the chances we can restructure his large contract, making his cap hit after release to be around the same if we restructure.

I'd rather not have to pay 5 million for an invisable player,.  Maybe he can play RG since I think we are all pretty sure that Villarrial is close to the end.

543039[/snapback]

Here is a list of cap savings I got From Bills Digest. These are the players most likely released and how much cap space they will free up.

Mike Williams. 2006 cap figure $10.8 mil, $2.5mil cap hit, $8.3mil cap savings.

Eric Moulds 2006 cap figure $10.8 mil, $5.4mil cap hit, $5.4mil cap savings.

Sam Adams $3.5 mil cap savings. I don't know the other figures.

Lawyer Milloy and Troy Vincent will only save us $2.6mil in cap savings combined. We need to keep those two at that price.

That makes it a total cap savings of $17.2mil in cap savings if we release the first three players mentioned. Not bad, huh? Now let's go shopping for a MotherF'in D Line and O'Line!

Here is a list of cap savings I got From Bills Digest. These are the players most likely released and how much cap space they will free up.

Mike Williams. 2006 cap figure $10.8 mil, $2.5mil cap hit, $8.3mil cap savings.

Eric Moulds    2006 cap figure $10.8 mil, $5.4mil cap hit, $5.4mil cap savings.

Sam Adams  $3.5 mil cap savings. I don't know the other figures.

Lawyer Milloy and Troy Vincent will only save us $2.6mil in cap savings combined. We need to keep those two at that price.

That makes it a total cap savings of $17.2mil in cap savings if we release the first three players mentioned. Not bad, huh? Now let's go shopping for a MotherF'in D Line and O'Line!

543215[/snapback]

As Clumping Platlets caught, the bonuses cannot be averaged over the next two years because of the impending possible contract problems from the Players Union. Because of this, his signing bonuses will be counted in their entirety in 2006 if he is cut.

Thanks Clumping for the contracts page you maintain over in the BillsZone, and for your experteise in the cap.

As Clumping Platlets caught, the bonuses cannot be averaged over the next two years because of the impending possible contract problems from the Players Union. Because of this, his signing bonuses will be counted in their entirety in 2006 if he is cut.

Thanks Clumping for the contracts page you maintain over in the BillsZone, and for your experteise in the cap.

543306[/snapback]

I do;t think it is fully accurate to describe this as impending possible contract problems with the NFLPA but in fact they are DEFINITE limitations (or problems if you wish) caused by the CBA which means the source of the issue is the aggreement between the NFL and NFLPA.

There are real limitations which prevent the Bills from reaching an agreement with MW to pay him the smaller than agreed to salary which his level of play deserves. Its not merely the NFLPA demanding that the Bills pay MW more than he deserves, it is the continuing growing partnership between the nFL and NFLPA which mandates that that a player's salary can be only cut a limited amount from year to year which in essence forces us to choose to pay MW far more than he deserves or instead to cut him, take the foul medicine of the Bills making a bad drat pick and allow (subject) MW to the free market.

Its simply not accurate to imply that what is going on here is a battle between the union and the owners when what is going on here is the Bills and the player dealing with the rules they agreed to through the league and union in the partnership embodied in the CBA.