Bills-Bengals Game Thread

Frez

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The salary cap makes it an issue and you don't have the luxury of missing on a top 5 pick because it can cost you quality depth. 

Oh, and we're probably going to win next week, too.

541790[/snapback]

But none of these things discount the two arguments I'm making here:

1) Picking higher is better than not,

2) Winning today improves the chance that we will pick lower.

I'll trade that every day is if some of the younger guys learned something about what it takes to win for next year....

541795[/snapback]

I'll buy this to some extent. Hopefully, the guys that do stick around will catapult off of this. Of course, that's whjat we thought last year.

I'll trade that every day is if some of the younger guys learned something about what it takes to win for next year....

541795[/snapback]

Yep, winning means more in almost every case. Not sure what the difference in those slots will be, but we'll have to wait a while to find out. But this team is not going to get fixed by one top 5 pick. Better to get a top 5 GM to make something with the picks throughout the draft, and make good player moves. Let's get to 6-10 and start next year with a winning streak.

But none of these things discount the two arguments I'm making here:

1) Picking higher is better than not,

2) Winning today improves the chance that we will pick lower.

541796[/snapback]

Picking higher is rarely better, especially in the salary cap era. NE continues to get value in the 15-30 area because they never pick for need.

I'm glad we're picking lower. Regardless of where you pick in the first round, you have about an equal chance of picking a future stud, a serviceable player, or a dud. That's a ton of money to take that chance.

Well, if you look at it in a financial aspect..If we get a lower pick, we have more cash to spend on free agency (where the REAL impact players will be found) since were still in a "re-building" stage!

541801[/snapback]

Perhaps, but (at least IMO) free agency does more for teams on the cusp. Whereas, drafting is the route for teams looking to rebuild extensively. Of course the waters have muddied with respect to this in the last 10 years, but the youth of this team is where future success wll come from.

All 1st rounders cost a bunch. The top 5 DO cost more, but would the difference between 5 & 10 really mean missing out on a free agent we want/need?

Some of you guys are such a bunch of blowhards.  Seems to me Kelly moves the teams better than JP.  He's a pro QB and yes he makes mistakes but he's not overwhelmed by every new defensive stunt that he sees like JP is now.  And oh by the way, the BIlls simply have to throw the ball inside the 10 because if they try to run 3 times it's stuff city.  I don't blame the BIlls for trying 1st down throws down by the goaline.

541537[/snapback]

He also has a few years on JP- dont forget that in the excitement of the game. Holcomb allows the team to equal the sum of its parts- when JP is fully developed, he will get the team to exceed that level

Picking higher is rarely better, especially in the salary cap era.  NE continues to get value in the 15-30 area because they never pick for need. 

I'm glad we're picking lower.  Regardless of where you pick in the first round, you have about an equal chance of picking a future stud, a serviceable player, or a dud.  That's a ton of money to take that chance.

541812[/snapback]

That's fair enough. We just differ in opinion.

Another issue is that if the GM felt the way you did, he could always trade down. In that case, it's tough to see the value in have the rights to a lower pick.

Well, if you look at it in a financial aspect..If we get a lower pick, we have more cash to spend on free agency (where the REAL impact players will be found) since were still in a "re-building" stage!

541801[/snapback]

And you rebuild through the draft- NOT free agency- that is too expensive a route to build a team, as exampled by our attempts at it- either good on offense or defense, but not both

That's fair enough.  We just differ in opinion.

Another issue is that if the GM felt the way you did, he could always trade down.  In that case, it's tough to see the value in have the rights to a lower pick.

541823[/snapback]

Definitely better to have the higher pick all things being equal. But I like winning on the road against a tough opponent and having a lower pick better than rolling over, calling it quits for the season, just for a couple draft slots. The main issue is still not having TD making the calls wherever we pick.

Definitely better to have the higher pick all things being equal.  But I like winning on the road against a tough opponent and having a lower pick better than rolling over, calling it quits for the season, just for a couple draft slots.  The main issue is still not having TD making the calls wherever we pick.

541836[/snapback]

I dont know if you differ in opinion that much- you cant trade down without a high pick, and you only do it if you have more than one guy rated that high on the board- of one stands above the others, then you take him.