Why does the Sabres website suck?

When it check out the latest news on the team and found I could order a Rick Jeanerette CD for Christmas. Fill out the form and wait 15 minutes - nothing. To make matters worse the website main area doesn't come up (done in Flash?). I am just amazed a professional sports team has a horrible site.

GO SABRES!!! BUT PLEASE REDO YOUR SITE!!!!!

537215[/snapback]

I'll take gratuitous use of Flash for $100.

Wow. Post 2,000. Cool =)

That website is beyond horrible. I spoke with the VP of Marketing the day the website went up. I gave him my expert anaylsis and the entire organization acted as if I kidnapped their children.

I was frank and told them that the website is possibly the worst sports website I've ever seen and that it doesn't serve its audience at all. You can't get easy access to news, articles, recaps, etc.

They said they spent some ridiculous amount of man-hours and $30,000 designing that site. To which I said I would have done better in 10 minutes. They kept going back to the fact that they wanted to be different than everyone else. They honestly believe that website is great.

Here's what the official site should be...

http://www.afterfivemedia.com/clients/sabres/

It's only 20% done but it might be more functional than the official one.  :doh:

616864[/snapback]

Nice looking site. At 20% done it is 100% BETTER than the garbage they have right now. I don't care HOW much you spend - the site is NOT FUNCTIONAL. The internet is used to transfer information and if your information isn't on your site you are losing customers. It is your marketing tool 24/7/365

I just cannot believe they tolerate this crap after the great season they are having.

/ done venting

No - but it is better than Sabres.com.

617002[/snapback]

I don't mind the NHL.com website. At least you can get to articles with relative ease. I don't think I've ever read an article on Sabres.com. It's too hard to read articles in flash. I despise full-flash websites. Most of my clients ask for Flash sites and I kindly explain to them that the only people that will like your Flash website is you. Everyone else will get annoyed. That being said, there are exceptions when done well.

When I get time, I'm going to finish that Sabres website and present it to them. They won't bite, so I'll send it around to every marketing VP in the league. And if no one bites, I'll create another Sabres fan site so the NHL can try to sue me again.

I don't mind the NHL.com website. At least you can get to articles with relative ease. I don't think I've ever read an article on Sabres.com. It's too hard to read articles in flash. I despise full-flash websites. Most of my clients ask for Flash sites and I kindly explain to them that the only people that will like your Flash website is you. Everyone else will get annoyed. That being said, there are exceptions when done well.

When I get time, I'm going to finish that Sabres website and present it to them. They won't bite, so I'll send it around to every marketing VP in the league. And if no one bites, I'll create another Sabres fan site so the NHL can try to sue me again.

617013[/snapback]

Hey Paul - YOU have a nice website. Very easy to navigate.

617013[/snapback]

If you don't mind my asking, what did you do that caused the league to sue you a first time? And if you don't mind a further question, what was the end result of your 1st run in with them?

Thats not true...the Sabres site is quite a bit different from all the other teams, and I believe it was designed by a WNY company.

616657[/snapback]

It was at the time I originally posted my comments 4 months ago. When the lock out happened, the NHL took over all the sites and maintained them until season started.

If you don't mind my asking, what did you do that caused the league to sue you a first time?  And if you don't mind a further question, what was the end result of your 1st run in with them?

617077[/snapback]

I ran a huge Sabres fan site from 1995 to 2000. When the Sabres made the finals, my site got huge publicity in Buffalo and over the Reuters wire. Jim Kelley wrote an article bashing the Sabres official site and talking about how good my site was.

The Sabres/NHL didn't take well to all the pub my site got so NHL Legal sent me a certified letter threating suit if I didn't cease and desist. Threatening to go after my assets.

My site had no banners and I made no revenue. I was like 18 too. I had no assets, so I pretty much told them to frack off. Then I got a job a few months later and closed up shop because I didn't have time.

I ran a huge Sabres fan site from 1995 to 2000. When the Sabres made the finals, my site got huge publicity in Buffalo and over the Reuters wire. Jim Kelley wrote an article bashing the Sabres official site and talking about how good my site was.

The Sabres/NHL didn't take well to all the pub my site got so NHL Legal sent me a certified letter threating suit if I didn't cease and desist. Threatening to go after my assets.

My site had no banners and I made no revenue. I was like 18 too. I had no assets, so I pretty much told them to frack off. Then I got a job a few months later and closed up shop because I didn't have time.

617359[/snapback]

Yeah, using copyrighted material in a website without permission. No biggie. But what the hey, Jim Kelly liked it. :)

When it check out the latest news on the team and found I could order a Rick Jeanerette CD for Christmas. Fill out the form and wait 15 minutes - nothing. To make matters worse the website main area doesn't come up (done in Flash?). I am just amazed a professional sports team has a horrible site.

GO SABRES!!! BUT PLEASE REDO YOUR SITE!!!!!

537215[/snapback]

Hey crappy as it may be, it's still an order of magnitude better than the bills official site. No, there is a crappy site.

Hey crappy as it may be, it's still an order of magnitude better than the bills official site.  No, there is a crappy site.

618090[/snapback]

Ah no. I can read all the information on the Bills official site. I can order stuff on the Bills site. I can get around the Bills site in any browser on any platform.