$1,000,000,000

IUBillsFan

When TV goes all digital in 2009 Sen. Mcain wants this money so people with lesser means get to watch TV.  That sure sounds like a wise use of our tax dollars.

TV

38179[/snapback]

Hence the reason so many liberals like McCain. Just another big government phony who's interested in power and not the good of the nation. Let the fawning begin.

When TV goes all digital in 2009 Sen. Mcain wants this money so people with lesser means get to watch TV.  That sure sounds like a wise use of our tax dollars.

TV

38179[/snapback]

I agree ,but didnt the Government order TV to go to HDTV , I mean why is that ? Why of course so the industry can rape the general public of more money .

TV

38179[/snapback]

What would "bread and circuses" be without the circuses?

"...life, liberty, and the pursuit of Friends reruns..."

I agree ,but didnt the Government order  TV to go to HDTV  , I mean why is that  ? Why of course so the industry can rape the general public of more money .

38214[/snapback]

I had the opportunity to tour a testing facility for HDTV and other cable TV technologies. The quality of the picture is amazing but far from a necessity. They said the FCC forces them to meet a deadline for certain technologies, and fines them heavily if they don't meet it. They have to develop all this out of pocket, and inturn pass the bill on to their cable TV subscribers.

TV

38179[/snapback]

Ahhh yes, now the "poor" will have to endure without HDTV. Where do the hardships end? Next thing you know, you'll be telling me that we're just supposed to let the poor suffer with monochrome screen cell phones and last year’s MP-3 player!

Look deeper. This has profound sociological ramifications. If people do not have the ability to watch TV 8 hours/day, they aren't watching 4 hours of commercials. If they're not watching commercials that tell them that they "Can't be a man if he doesn't smoke, the same cigarettes as me!", the economy will crumble. Also, with no TV to occupy their thoughts, they may start to think. If they start to think, they might notice just what the hell is going on. Now you've got a revolution on your hands.

We interrupt this diatribe with technical difficulties. Please ignore this lunatic as we return you to CSI: Buffalo. PS, buy Ivory soap.

:D:D:D

I had the opportunity to tour a testing facility for HDTV and other cable TV technologies.  The quality of the picture is amazing but far from a necessity.  They said the FCC forces them to meet a deadline for certain technologies, and fines them heavily if they don't meet it.  They have to develop all this out of pocket, and inturn pass the bill on to their cable TV subscribers.

38274[/snapback]

Not even close to a necessity. I think the law dates to 1995 or so.

Congress has put off that HDTV "deadline". Very slick. They got $$$ from the electronics manufactures first, and then got $$$ from broadcasters and cable folks to put it on hold.

Several years ago, a fellow (P.J. O'Rourke) wrote a book about Congress, titled "A Parliament of Whores"...