Colts: The Beginning of The End

Rico

Indy invincibilty myth shattered.  Pats now are a major threat to get to 3rd SB in a row.

536074[/snapback]

More importantly the Colts now have absolutely nothing to play for in the next 3 weeks. Good luck coming out sharp in their first playoff game after that layoff.

Indy invincibilty myth shattered.  Pats now are a major threat to get to 3rd SB in a row.

536074[/snapback]

Seriously, where did this notion come from that the Colts are invincible at home? They've been just as good on the road since Manning has been there. Does anybody remember them choking vs. Tennessee after Homerun Throwback, or how they used to lose to Miami & Oakland at home every year, and how they beat Philly & Denver on the road a couple years ago? I mean, they're tough to beat in the dome because they're a good team, but it's not a really tough place to play everything else being equal.

i have a feeling in the backs of their minds, the colts aren't terribly upset about this one.

536073[/snapback]

Whatever their feelings today might be, taking the pressure of the undefeated season away- and the ability to rest players from this point forward, bodes in a most positive way towards their chances of success in the post season.

This flies directly in the face of the reason the Patsy Trollscum who started this string hoped this would open up some opportunity for him to once again, as he has in 2/3rds of his 7000 posts, tell us how much better his QB is than Manning. Once again a bottom feeder sucks a just little too hard ;-)

Whatever their feelings today might be, taking the pressure of the undefeated season away- and the ability to rest players from this point forward, bodes in a most positive way towards their chances of success in the post season.

536333[/snapback]

I totally disagree with this. Having something to play for keeps a team sharp. Not having something to play for for nearly a month isn't going to help this team. You can't rest your starters for 3 weeks and think they'll be ready to play come playoff time.

Also to consider is momentum. If the Colts lose next week in Seattle they'll head to the playoffs losing 2 of their last 3. Contrast that with a team like the Pats who are likely to enter the playoffs with a 5 game winning streak or the Bengals who look like they'll enter with a 6 game win streak.

How teams play in December will generally tell you how they're going to play come playoff time. If this Colt team loses next week I just can't see them winning the SB. It doesn't take but a few bad weeks for the wheels to fall off.

I totally disagree with this.  Having something to play for keeps a team sharp.  Not having something to play for for nearly a month isn't going to help this team.  You can't rest your starters for 3 weeks and think they'll be ready to play come playoff time.

Also to consider is momentum.  If the Colts lose next week in Seattle they'll head to the playoffs losing 2 of their last 3.  Contrast that with a team like the Pats who are likely to enter the playoffs with a 5 game winning streak or the Bengals who look like they'll enter with a 6 game win streak. 

How teams play in December will generally tell you how they're going to play come playoff time.  If this Colt team loses next week I just can't see them winning the SB.  It doesn't take but a few bad weeks for the wheels to fall off.

536413[/snapback]

My view is that the Dolphin team that went 14-0 against a historically pathetic opponent strength is far from the best of championship teams in the league's history, and all of those "best" teams lost games. IMO the advantage is in eliminating any pressure on their staff to play guys with minor dings or more importantly the difficult to replace.

It might be fair to argue that they're as intimidating a team entering the playoffs with backups closing out the season with wins than they would be with the starters being on the field every game and undefeated.

My view is that the  Dolphin team that went 14-0 against a historically pathetic opponent strength is far from the best of championship teams in the league's history, and all of those "best" teams lost games. IMO the advantage is in eliminating any pressure on their staff to play guys with minor dings or more importantly the difficult to replace.

It might be fair to argue that they're as intimidating a team entering the playoffs with backups closing out the season with wins than they would be with the starters being on the field every game and undefeated.

536422[/snapback]

The Dolphins regular season schedule was pathetic that year, and I think they may have beaten one team that had a winning record. But, to be fair, they beat three teams in the playoffs that had, at the time, 10-4, 12-3, and 13-3 records.

The Dolphins regular season schedule was pathetic that year, and I think they may have beaten one team that had a winning record. But, to be fair, they beat three teams in the playoffs that had, at the time, 10-4, 12-3, and 13-3 records.

536429[/snapback]

In the playoffs you should expect to face teams with decent records.

BTW- my Christmas tree is 40 foot tall and Sheri has decided my dressing it with lights qualifies me for something or other- I figure I'll make the spectacle as long as possible before the ACLU gets Christmas trees banned completely ;-)

536074[/snapback]

I'v been saying this to my buddies all year. Everyone seemed to forget the fact the Pats were decimated by injuries (missing 8 starters on defence for one thing), yet were still able to hang on to the AFC east.

As we see them getting healthier week by week, they have begun to steamroll teams (last week the Bills, this week the Bucs).

Indy was exposed yesterady and if they can't figure out a way to protect Manning better than that, they won't be around too long in the playoffs.

Bellichek has probably already starting breaking down the Chragers/Colts game films in prepertaion for the inevitable January showdown with the Colts.