Three HC Candidates to Consider

Fridge is an out-of-the-box idea, that would either flame or fizzle, I don't think it would end up in between.

Ferentz is obviously a great choice. 

What about Dick Jauron?  He was a finalist last time, the Bears always played hard for him when he was head man, and now he is Detroit's interim HC.  I know Ralph and he hit it off big time last time, but TD (you jackass) sold him on MM.

533984[/snapback]

Jauron was kinda like LeBeau in Cincy....good coach with no team around him. He's a possible choice, but I have a feeling that Detroit will retain him after the season...though this is depentdant on the front office situation and resolution in Motown

No mention of Chan Gailey or Norm Chow?

534146[/snapback]

Gailey is mentioned either on this post or another...not a bad choice

chow on the otherhand...take a look at Tennessee's offense and tell me you want that? He needs more time to improve at the pro level before you give him HC job.

Gailey is mentioned either on this post or another...not a bad choice

chow on the otherhand...take a look at Tennessee's offense and tell me you want that?  He needs more time to improve at the pro level before you give him HC job.

534197[/snapback]

Not too many weapons for Chow to work with this season

I like Hawkins too, but if I'm not mistaken he just got the Colorado job that was recently vacated by what's his name (I'm drawing a blank but I think he was the former Northwestern coach).

And I also like Ferentz. Very much.

And this seems like an apporpriate spot to place my yearly vote for Jeff Tedford.

533482[/snapback]

I too like Ferentz a lot...

Just read Tedford's bio at the Cal site and it is VERY impressive...The quotes from Dilfer were especially notable... :doh:

Keep Tedford away from JP!

534423[/snapback]

Komrade, you must be kidding.

If you're looking for somebody to work with a young QB, there may not be a better coach on the planet (at least not named Parcells) to have around than Tedford. His outstanding tutelage has made some really marginally talented QB's look so good that pro talent evaluators burned up 1st round picks on them. Guys like Trent Dilfer, Akili Smith, Joey Harrington, David Carr, Kyle Boller and Aaron Rodgers might not have gotten much notice had they played for anybody else but Tedford, but he coached them up so much they all became 1st round picks. Imagine what the guy couild do with talent like JP's and how much Losman could benefit from running Tedford's highly effective, innovative, QB friendly offense.

If you're worried about pro experience, he's also helped take two different CFL teams to Grey Cup games, once as a QB and once as a coach. The guy has been a winner everywhere he's gone and when a pro team finally gives him a shot, he'll win there too. I'd love for that team to be the Bills.

Cya

Komrade, you must be kidding.

If you're looking for somebody to work with a young QB, there may not be a better coach on the planet (at least not named Parcells) to have around than Tedford. His outstanding tutelage has made some really marginally talented QB's look so good that pro talent evaluators burned up 1st round picks on them. Guys like Trent Dilfer, Akili Smith, Joey Harrington, David Carr, Kyle Boller and Aaron Rodgers might not have gotten much notice had they played for anybody else but Tedford, but he coached them up so much they all became 1st round picks. Imagine what the guy couild do with talent like JP's and how much Losman could benefit from running Tedford's highly effective, innovative, QB friendly offense.

If you're worried about pro experience, he's also helped take two different CFL teams to Grey Cup games, once as a QB and once as a coach. The guy has been a winner everywhere he's gone and when a pro team finally gives him a shot, he'll win there too. I'd love for that team to be the Bills.

Cya

534481[/snapback]

i should have put a smilie next to my post. I know the guy's a hell of a QB coach. But have you heard of the Tedford curse?

i should have put a smilie next to my post. I know the guy's a hell of a QB coach. But have you heard of the Tedford curse?

534513[/snapback]

I thought you might be kidding.

As for the Tedford curse, I assume you're talking about the fact that many of his former QB's failed to play as well when they were no longer being coached by him? I'm not sure if the word curse is the one I would select to describe this recurring situation. I might be more inclined to refer to it as "proof that nobody can make as effective use of their QB's as Tedford can".

My favorite example is probably Kyle Boller. I'd never heard of the kid before and as a pro he's been margially effective under Supergenius Billick, but when he was running Cal's offense it was a sight to behold. Tedford turned that boy into a one-man wrecking crew and Cal's offense looked incredibly efficient while Boller was running it. I even remember at the time talking to a buddy of mine and saying something like "I don't know what the hell a Kyle Boller is, but that freakin Tedford has taken him and somehow turned the kid into a real weapon.

Bottom line: I don't know if they have some sort of connection from somewhere else, but for some reason when I watch Tedford's offenses, I can't help but noting the many similarities you can see with Charlie Weiss' offenses.

Cya