ESPN's "Coach Approval Ratings"

agilen

Sure, I know its just a silly internet fan poll, but I think its a decent gauge of how fans of other teams feel as compared to the way we do: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/sportsnation/ratings

Mike Mularkey is the least-liked coach in the league (you can't vote for Martz anymore). Thats with some pretty stiff competition from the likes of Dom Capers and Norv Turner. Even Herm Edwards has a 51% approval rating with a 2-10 record. I have to be honest, I was not a fan of hiring someone without any experience, but I never really questioned Mularkey until the last two weeks. Now I'm officially off his bandwagon, and it appears that the rest of you are too.

Sure, I know its just a silly internet fan poll, but I think its a decent gauge of how fans of other teams feel as compared to the way we do: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/sportsnation/ratings

Mike Mularkey is the least-liked coach in the league (you can't vote for Martz anymore).  Thats with some pretty stiff competition from the likes of Dom Capers and Norv Turner.  Even Herm Edwards has a 51% approval rating with a 2-10 record.  I have to be honest, I was not a fan of hiring someone without any experience, but I never really questioned Mularkey until the last two weeks.  Now I'm officially off his bandwagon, and it appears that the rest of you are too.

522849[/snapback]

it's only applicable for the week though. obviously he's not going to be liked this week.

I find it amazing how much everyone has turned against MM! Last year he was the savior for getting everybody too buy into his "cool aid'.after the terrible start, but now after some bad breaks and injuries and personnel decisions, not all of his own, all of a sudden this guy can't coach? I really respect and read alot of the opinions here but to me this is very frustrating> I don't think this guy all of a sudden forgot how too coach but rather is dealing with some tough injuries and bad personell decisions! I thought he was great last year for turning a terrible start around to almost making the playoffs awesome. I think most of use here felt pretty good about this year, but things went against us for whatever reason but I don't think the guy forgot how to coach! I don't know just my 2 cents on the season and hope MM is here when we move to the next "level". I think he can get us there and am willing to let him get us there! In the mean time go SABRES!!!!!!

Flame away if you must although constructive crititiziom is always welcome!

I find it amazing how much everyone has turned against MM! Last year he was the savior for getting everybody too buy into his "cool aid'.after the terrible start, but now after some bad breaks and injuries and personnel decisions, not all of his own, all of a sudden this guy can't coach? I really respect and read alot of the opinions here but to me this is very frustrating> I don't think this guy all of a sudden forgot how too coach but rather is dealing with some tough injuries and bad personell decisions! I thought he was great last year for turning a terrible start around to almost making the playoffs awesome. I think most of use here felt pretty good about this year, but things went against us for whatever reason but I don't think the guy forgot how to coach! I don't know just my 2 cents on the season and hope MM is here when we move to the next "level". I think he can get us there and am willing to let him get us there! In the mean time go SABRES!!!!!!

522971[/snapback]

I think that the infatuation with Mularkey started wearing off once we lost *at home* to the Pittsburgh junior varsity team with the playoffs on the line - and then looked back at the schedule of who we were beating during "our run", and suddenly weren't so impressed.

JDG

522971[/snapback]

Here's how he coaches. He may come up with a decent gameplan. Works against the numbnuts who can't make halftime adjustments or think on their feet. Second half, nothing works and no plan B. Just go down with the ship.

A soft training regime and zero toughness add to the mystique. Only about another million things wrong with his approach. Exhibits no ability to learn from mistakes.

Ad inifinitum.

Here's how he coaches.  He may come up with a decent gameplan.  Works against the numbnuts who can't make halftime adjustments or think on their feet.  Second half, nothing works and no plan B.  Just go down with the ship.

A soft training regime and zero toughness add to the mystique.  Only about another million things wrong with his approach.  Exhibits no ability to learn from mistakes.

Ad inifinitum.

522995[/snapback]

lol....altho give the guy a bit of a break-----TD has left him little margin for error with the 'talent' he has brought in--so his dumb coaching moves have been OVERexposed--if you know what i mean.

522971[/snapback]

Well...I for one did not want MM as a HC Coach...But being a Homer I accepted him no problem...I wanted an experienced HC...Obviously TD did not think that was too important even after the GW experiment...

Yes the Bills finished strong last Season...but the way they played vs. Pittsburgh's 2nd and 3rd stringers, at Home no less, pretty much tainted any momentum MM had earned with me...

Now remember, last Season the Bills won a lot of Games with excellent Defense, ST's, and a lot of Willis... And a looking back at that stretch, while there is no denying it was impressive from a Win/Loss standpoint, the Bills played a REAL easy schedule and got some luck too...Home wins vs. The Jets (the loss that started The Jets decline after a 6-2 start), Arizona, St. Louis, and Cleveland...Road wins vs a Seattle Team that was realing at the time (I mean the Bills win 38-9 while Bledsoe throws 3 INT's on the Road??? That is pretty good fortune), Miami, Cincy without Palmer, and San Fran...In the 2 biggest tests of that stretch, at NE and Home vs Pittsburgh, the Bills got beat...So while I give Mularkey credit for keeping the Team alive after a brutal 1-5 start, I'm really not overly impressed with that winning stretch in hindsight...I'm impressed...just not overly impressed...

Then MM who is supposed to be an Offensive genius (well yes genius may be going too far...but I imagine TD felt he was pretty darn good as an Offensive mind) has a full off season to get our Young QB ready to Play decently. And I realized JP would have his struggles...But MM's star pupil comes out and just bombs...Now maybe most of the blame is on JP there...after all he has performed much better after the Benching...But that was the best MM could do with JP to start? Anyway...Now I'm starting to question Mularkey a bit...And the cute little gadget Plays along with the inability to get anything consistant going on Offense is really starting to make me doubt MM...Remember, My biggest fear was that The Bills did not need another On-The-Job trainee at HC...But there we were well into his 2nd Season as HC, this Offensive-minded Head Coach, and our Offense still sucks out loud...So I start to remember why My Friends who are Steelers Fans told me they were happy Mularkey was gone... :D

But more than anything, last Sunday proved to me beyond a shadow of a doubt that Mularkey is still not ready to be a HC...And worse yet he's not improving at all...I don't feel he is anything Special on Game Day, and I'm starting to wonder why some Vet Players don't seem to like the guy much off the Field...I think his Play Book, and his Play Calling is average at best...And even though I realize it's not going to help the Bills a ton in 2006 by changing out Coaching Staff's again, I'm thinking The Bills can, and will have to do better than Mularkey...I don't think there is a heck of a lot of difference with the MM situation and the GW situation. both are Good Coaches as Coordinators, both are decents guys, neither is Head Coach material...

This is all just my opinion, and I don't expect anyone to agree with me at all...It's just the feeling I get with MM...I dont think the guy is an NFL HC at this time...And I would rather he get his training somewhere else...

All that being said, if he's still in Buffalo next Year, I hope to God I'm wrong...But remember just like the GW situation, if Mularkey bombs next season, we are yet another Year behind... :D

Sorry for the Novel...

I think that the infatuation with Mularkey started wearing off once we lost *at home* to the Pittsburgh junior varsity team with the playoffs on the line - and then looked back at the schedule of who we were beating during "our run", and suddenly weren't so impressed.

JDG

522991[/snapback]

Ding,ding,ding,ding. We have a winner !

Here's how he coaches.  He may come up with a decent gameplan.  Works against the numbnuts who can't make halftime adjustments or think on their feet.  Second half, nothing works and no plan B.  Just go down with the ship.

A soft training regime and zero toughness add to the mystique.  Only about another million things wrong with his approach.  Exhibits no ability to learn from mistakes.

Ad inifinitum.

522995[/snapback]

And add that he never establishes any identity or rhythm on offense, doesn't have enough sense to stick with what is working, and not enough moxie to adjust if he isn't having success. All these excuses about him not having enough talent has to stop as while we aren't a Super Bowl team we have enough players to get the job done on both sides of the ball when the proper schemes are used. I mean we have good WR's who have shown this year they can have success if used properly and a good RB. Jp was play was lacking in his 1st stint but since his comeback he has played admirably; shoot over half his incompletions have been throw aways! Now the OL has struggled up the middle but the tackles have done a good job week after week. On offense the Bills have look much better the past few weeks when they spread teams out with 3 plus WR's and McGahee seems to have better holes to run through than with a FB slowing him up and making him dance when there is no definite hole. Teams have to respect the fact that JP will throw the ball down the field so that will keep teams from putting 8 in the box, giving us a chance to dictate to the D. Having 2 RB and a TE on the field has been so unproductive as the TE's are no threat in the passing game and the extra blocking these guys are suppose to provide is not there and besides JP seems to play better when they open it up; throw in a little no-huddle and the offense has looked even better as it at least has a rhytm. But how can you establish a rhythm by changing personeel every other play and being predictable based on the personell; they have even got predictable in their trick plays! Remember when the D was playing awful for a strecth? They finally got smart readjusted, tone down the blitzing and the D while not playing top 5 D was manageable. Then last week when the blitz is killing the Dolphins they call it off!

522995[/snapback]

Exactly! Mularkey can't think on his feet, and all the good coaches can. No surprise that the Bills are statistically a great 1st quarter team and an awful second half team.

Time to move on. Just suck up the 3-year contract, Ralph.

lol....altho give the guy a bit of a break-----TD has left him little margin for error with the 'talent' he has brought in--so his dumb coaching moves have been OVERexposed--if you know what i mean.

523001[/snapback]

What sucks about the approval rating is that John Fox and Marvin Lewis are right at the top. Thanks alot Donahoebag....

Mike Mularkey is the least-liked coach in the league (you can't vote for Martz anymore).  Thats with some pretty stiff competition from the likes of Dom Capers and Norv Turner.  Even Herm Edwards has a 51% approval rating with a 2-10 record.  I have to be honest, I was not a fan of hiring someone without any experience, but I never really questioned Mularkey until the last two weeks.  Now I'm officially off his bandwagon, and it appears that the rest of you are too.

522849[/snapback]

Like you, I wanted to give the guy a chance, but his decisions and play calling have been hideous. Benching Moulds, and Adams is down right ridiculous. Combined with TD's releasing of Pat Williams the team seems to have no compass, just concern over filling seats and saving money. What as sham.

JDG

522991[/snapback]

Well said....People keep bringing up the 6 straight that we won against those

inferior teams in the NFC West...If you took away those 4 wins, this team is

5-7 in the remaining games...just as we are today with 4-8...as..

Well said....People keep bringing up the 6 straight that we won against those

inferior teams in the NFC West...If you took away those 4 wins, this team is

5-7 in the remaining games...just as we are today with 4-8...as..

523441[/snapback]

With 3 of the 4 wins this year coming against Gus Ferrotte, Vinny, and the Houston Texans.