Was Clements Really covering Chambers?

San-O

I just read Clements got toasted again by a good receiver, Chambers,

who had a career day. Is this actually the case?

http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/article...eport061205.php

"Secondary = F. The self-proclaimed "best cornerback in the NFL," Nate Clements, was burnt to a crisp in this game. With the team up 21-0, Clements dropped an easy interception that would have led to a sure touchdown return for him. Instead, he allowed Dolphins receiver Chris Chambers to catch 15 passes for 238 yards and the game-winning touchdown"

:)

I just read Clements got toasted again by a good receiver, Chambers,

who had a career day.  Is this actually the case?

http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/article...eport061205.php

"Secondary = F. The self-proclaimed "best cornerback in the NFL," Nate Clements, was burnt to a crisp in this game. With the team up 21-0, Clements dropped an easy interception that would have led to a sure touchdown return for him. Instead, he allowed Dolphins receiver Chris Chambers to catch 15 passes for 238 yards and the game-winning touchdown"

:)

522342[/snapback]

clements also wasn't at fault for that 57 yarder. that guy byrne continues to get the basic facts wrong. why is he linked to anyway?

Yea, I think Nate is taking SOME unnecessary heat for the loss. It is true that he got burned on some of those pass plays, but certainly not all of them and definitely not the game deciding plays at the end of the game. And, in Greer's defense, he had pretty good coverage on Chambers. It's just that Chambers outleaped him and managed to come down with a very tough catch.

As someone said, the real death-blow was the 57-yard reception on 3rd down that set the Dolphins up inside the 20. That one (to me) was on Lawyer Milloy for even allowing Chambers to get behind him. With all the outrage I see aimed at Nate, who has been admittedly inconsistent, I'd be more inclined to bring him back (if the price is right) than either the over-priced and over-aged Milloy or Troy Vincent. Did Vincent make a single play Sunday? He should have been out there playing centerfield in the 4th quarter.

It was the case for probably 10 of his catches but Clements was not on Chambers for the game winning TD. Greer was.

522345[/snapback]

And that was only because the D wasn't lined up properly. He was on Chambers for MOST of the day, but as mentioned not ALL the catches. But let's not leave out the playmaker's missed INT which could've been returned for a TD, and his COSTLY personal foul penalty on a scoring drive in the comeback, AND his horrible missed tackle which led to Chambers tacking on another 20 yards or so on another scoring drive in the comeback. :D

From what I saw on TV and from a perusal of the NFL's play-by-play recap, I think it's a fair guess to say that Clements gave up about 8 catches to Chambers for about 90yrds. Most of them were underneath for relatively short gains on 1st or 2nd down with maybe 2-3 of them coming as 3rddown conversions. He also apparently (I missed the play) dropped a pick'n'go and got called for a personal foul on a late drive(it was a ridiculously wrong call).

On the plus side, he defended a couple passes, forced a fumble, caused a few incompletions (they threw at Chambers about 25 times) and I'll bet was also a factor in some of the historically gun-shy Chambers' drops.

All in all not a great day for Nate, but not a terrible day either. Certainly not worthy of all the wailing and gnashing of teeth that has come from many of our posters and a couple clueless members of the media.