Greg Estabrook on NFL.com

From Greg Estabrook today on NFL.com (Tuesday Morning Quarterback)

(Dec. 6, 2005) -- One of TMQ's maxims -- "Often all a football team needs do is run up the middle and things will be fine" -- applies so frequently I just produced the adage from my AutoText.

Never was this on clearer display than in Buffalo's epic collapse at Miami: or the Dolphins' epic comeback, depending on one's point of view. Leading 23-3, the Bills reached first-and-goal on the Dolphins' 3 with 4:14 remaining in the third quarter. Had Buffalo simply run up the middle three consecutive times, a game-icing touchdown was likely. But even had the Bills run up the middle thrice and been stuffed, the field goal makes it 26-3 and the rushes grind the clock, leaving the Dolphins behind by 23 points with only a quarter to play. Instead Buffalo coaches got cute and called a pass. Interception, plus no time taken off the clock -- and thus began the Bills' epic collapse or Dolphins' epic comeback, depending on one's point of view.

Awful tactics by Buffalo continued throughout the collapse. But then it's hard to blow a 20-point fourth-quarter lead -- awful tactics are required! When you've got a big fourth-quarter lead, the clock becomes your opponent. You must keep the clock ticking both to grind time and so that when the other team looks up at the scoreboard, players say to themselves, "It's too late." Yet in this clock-killing situation, Buffalo coaches kept signaling in passes that clanged to the ground incomplete. The Bills were 0-for-5 passing in the fourth quarter, meaning they stopped the clock for Miami five times. How polite! The Dolphins' winning touchdown came with 6 seconds to play. Had Buffalo simply rushed up the middle for no gain on the five plays when Bills' coaches called passes, time would have run out on the Miami comeback. Instead Buffalo repeatedly did the only thing that could keep Miami in the game -- stopped the clock. It's harsh to say, but nine out of 10 high-school coaches would have handled the fourth quarter better than Buffalo's coaching staff did Sunday.

Perfect. I could not have said it any better.

(Dec. 6, 2005) -- One of TMQ's maxims -- "Often all a football team needs do is run up the middle and things will be fine" -- applies so frequently I just produced the adage from my AutoText.

Never was this on clearer display than in Buffalo's epic collapse at Miami: or the Dolphins' epic comeback, depending on one's point of view. Leading 23-3, the Bills reached first-and-goal on the Dolphins' 3 with 4:14 remaining in the third quarter. Had Buffalo simply run up the middle three consecutive times, a game-icing touchdown was likely. But even had the Bills run up the middle thrice and been stuffed, the field goal makes it 26-3 and the rushes grind the clock, leaving the Dolphins behind by 23 points with only a quarter to play. Instead Buffalo coaches got cute and called a pass. Interception, plus no time taken off the clock -- and thus began the Bills' epic collapse or Dolphins' epic comeback, depending on one's point of view.

Awful tactics by Buffalo continued throughout the collapse. But then it's hard to blow a 20-point fourth-quarter lead -- awful tactics are required! When you've got a big fourth-quarter lead, the clock becomes your opponent. You must keep the clock ticking both to grind time and so that when the other team looks up at the scoreboard, players say to themselves, "It's too late." Yet in this clock-killing situation, Buffalo coaches kept signaling in passes that clanged to the ground incomplete. The Bills were 0-for-5 passing in the fourth quarter, meaning they stopped the clock for Miami five times. How polite! The Dolphins' winning touchdown came with 6 seconds to play. Had Buffalo simply rushed up the middle for no gain on the five plays when Bills' coaches called passes, time would have run out on the Miami comeback. Instead Buffalo repeatedly did the only thing that could keep Miami in the game -- stopped the clock. It's harsh to say, but nine out of 10 high-school coaches would have handled the fourth quarter better than Buffalo's coaching staff did Sunday.

522310[/snapback]

Buffalo coaches kept signaling in passes that clanged to the ground incomplete. The Bills were 0-for-5 passing in the fourth quarter, meaning they stopped the clock for Miami five times. How polite! 

522310[/snapback]

:P:)
It's harsh to say, but nine out of 10 high-school coaches would have handled the fourth quarter better than Buffalo's coaching staff did Sunday.
Agreed. :D

522310[/snapback]

Exactly...almost word for word what I've been saying since the Play Call...

I even said somwhere along the line that a High School Coach should understand this type of Game Management...I know we have discussed this ad nauseam, but to me it's Game Management 101...It's not about execution, conservative Play Calling...blah, blah, blah...It's about understanding how to Game Manage and assure a Win with the minimal amount of risk...

Mularkey said yesterday he wished he could take the Play Call back in hindsight...to me that's just not good enough...I mean I appreciate the honesty, I really do...MM is a standup Guy, I don't think anyone really questions that...But I want a Coach that understands Game Management and has a feel for his Teams strengths and weaknesses...When you are the Colts Offense you can afford to be a little arrogant and "go for the jugular..." This is obviously not The Colts Offense we have in Buffalo, and Mularkey should understand that...He should also understand that a FG in that situation gives you a 23 point Lead, and 3 consecutive Running Plays pretty much runs out the 3rd Quarter...Furthermore a Rushing TD (God forbid that was ever considered) gives you access to that jugular also...

I still don't understand how an NFL HC calls that Play in that situation...I just don't get it... :)

The offense did not do the D any favors int he 2nd half.

522310[/snapback]

would we even be discussing this had JP just thrown the ball nicely to Josh for a TD? he was open on that play...hindsight is always 20/20

522353[/snapback]

Yes, I would still be posting that it was a terrible call.

would we even be discussing this had JP just thrown the ball nicely to Josh for a TD? he was open on that play...hindsight is always 20/20

522353[/snapback]

Yep...I'm sure that is what Mularkey is telling himself over and over again...

Then again... MM said yesterday; "I wish I could take it back but it was a lesson learned."

Maybe not... :)

Exactly...almost word for word what I've been saying since the Play Call...

I even said somwhere along the line that a High School Coach should understand this type of Game Management...I know we have discussed this ad nauseam, but to me it's Game Management 101...It's not about execution, conservative Play Calling...blah, blah, blah...It's about understanding how to Game Manage and assure a Win with the minimal amount of risk...

522344[/snapback]

Speaking of High School, see also the Pat's "radar" defense game of a few seasons ago, and how GW/KB couldn't figure out that maybe running the ball against it might be profitable...

Epic post ! I wonder if Ralph has read this ?

522343[/snapback]

We are not alone in excoriating the bizarre play-calling. The national press has piled on and rightfully so. Hopefully the Boss is recognizing that last Sunday was just the latest episode in what has been pretty much a tragedy of a season. I do not expect that the players will play for MM anymore, but they may play for themselves. After all, there are contracts on the line. All along, the TD party-line in response to criticism has been that "all will be evaluated at the end of the season."" TD has to answer for the decisions he has made in staffing, from head coach on down. In the NFL you are judged on the basis of your record, regardless of how many season ticket holders renew. I believe that more of the undecided will give a new GM/HC a chance, rather than suck along with the old regime. Hopefully the new guys will build the team from the inside out - which has proven to be the formula for success. What would this offense have done with Denver's O-line, for example.

Guest BackInDaDay
It's not about execution, conservative Play Calling...blah, blah, blah...It's about understanding how to Game Manage and assure a Win with the minimal amount of risk...

522344[/snapback]

Obviously you have to weigh the risk/reward of a call like that before you send it in. I have a lot of concerns about Mularkey's, but I really don't have a problem with him giving our young QB a tough assignment. If JP makes the read Mularkey talked about, the ball's in the stands and we run twice.

He was confident in Losman's ability to make the right choice.

I can't fault that. Let the kid make plays.

Speaking of High School, see also the Pat's "radar" defense game of a few seasons ago, and how GW/KB couldn't figure out that maybe running the ball against it might be profitable...

522371[/snapback]

You know it may seem like piling on or whatever...But we have had 2 consecutive Head Coaches who simply were not ready to be Head Coaches IMHO...

Both of these Men are good Football Minds, heck they are good Coaches...I don't doubt that...But the HC Job in the NFL is a completely different deal... The pressures and responsibilities are magnified 100 fold...And sometimes it takes REAL good Coaches years and even multiple stints as a HC before they "get it."

I truly believe that this whole problem of getting a good HC goes back to TD's fall out in Pittsburgh with Cower, and the Bills as an Organization have suffered greatly for those scars TD carries around...

Maybe it's just me...I don't know... :)

You know it may seem like piling on or whatever...But we have had 2 consecutive Head Coaches who simply were not ready to be Head Coaches IMHO...

Both of these Men are good Football Minds, heck they are good Coaches...I don't doubt that...But the HC Job in the NFL is a completely different deal... The pressures and responsibilities are magnified 100 fold...And sometimes it takes REAL good Coaches years and even multiple stints as a HC before they "get it."

I truly believe that this whole problem of getting a good HC goes back to TD's fall out in Pittsburgh with Cower, and the Bills as an Organization have suffered greatly for those scars TD carries around...

Maybe it's just me...I don't know... :)

522385[/snapback]

See the thread below but I think Steve Mariuchi would be a solid hire after having rookie HC's for 6 years now.