How about them 'Noles!

Ramius

This further shows that automatic BCS bids for conferences are a joke. 8-4 teams do not belong in a BCS bowl. Florida St. deserved their victory yesterday and played hard but had just lost their last 3 games. :P

8-4 gets in and Oregon at 10-1, with their only loss to USC, may not.

Yeah, that's fair. <_<

This further shows that automatic BCS bids for conferences are a joke. 8-4 teams do not belong in a BCS bowl. Florida St. deserved their victory yesterday and played hard but had just lost their last 3 games.  :lol:

8-4 gets in and Oregon at 10-1, with their only loss to USC, may not.

Yeah, that's fair.  <_<

518722[/snapback]

Oh i'm not saying I agree that FSU belongs in a BCS bowl. We lost 4 friggin games this season. We should be in the Yousuckedthisyear.com vs Montana st or something. But we can hang with the big dogs. Hell, we beat both Miami and Va Tech. Me and a buddy were joking a few weeks ago that we could lose out and go to a BCS bowl with 4 losses. We didnt think it'd actually come true at the time. :P

Do we deserve to be in a BCS bowl, No.

Do we have a legit shot at winning it, yes.

"Do we deserve to be in a BCS bowl, No.

Do we have a legit shot at winning it, yes."

Depends on how you define legit.  To me, they can't make that spread high enough.  JoePa gets a month to prep for Drew Weatherford.

519652[/snapback]

Sure we had a sh1tty season...but in 1 single game, the 'noles can line up with anyone in the country.

"Do we deserve to be in a BCS bowl, No.

Do we have a legit shot at winning it, yes."

Depends on how you define legit.  To me, they can't make that spread high enough.  JoePa gets a month to prep for Drew Weatherford.

519652[/snapback]

And conversely, the 'Noles have a month to prepare for JoePa and get healthy. Yes, we sucked this year, but injuries were part of the reason we were sucky. Of course then again, we do have the Jeff Bowden factor...

JoePa = Bobby Bowden

RJ > Jeff Bowden > Picard

522087[/snapback]

I'm a tad bit biased, but I think JoePa is a class act that is a cut above most, if not all college football coaches mainly because he wins w/ class, his players graduate, and he has remained @ PSU for years when he could've tried for greener pastures numerous times before. He's donated his time and his money (millions of dollars of his own money over the years) to the university, something I don't see Bowden or any other coach doing. One accolade I've always thought was cool was Sports Illustrated naming him Sportsman of the Year back in '86. To date, JoePa is one of only 5 coaches (Bill Russell-player/coach for the Celtics; John Wooden of UCLA; Dean Smith of North Carolina, and Don Shula of the Dolphins are the others) to ever be so honored and the ONLY college football coach so honored.

Not bad for a guy who took a job on the late Rip Engle's staff thinking he'd hang around just until he could get into law school.

One accolade I've always thought was cool was Sports Illustrated naming him Sportsman of the Year back in '86. 

522220[/snapback]

Not bad for a guy who took a job on the late Rip Engle's staff thinking he'd hang around just until he could get into law school.

522220[/snapback]

Please, no more references to anything pre-1990. The Internet generation does not know what you are referring to. JoePa cannot hold a candle to Pete Carroll and Bob Stoops. :D:)

Nice season PSU. Obviously, you never want to lose, but that loss to Michigan may alleviate a lot of horrible memories in Happy Valley. Undefeated Penn State would more than likely be #3 and on the outside looking in, with the chance at yet another unbeaten/untied non-national title season. A record of 10-1 (or 11-1/10-2) with a Big 11 championship and a BCS bowl bid will do you just fine.

By the way, PSU early 8-point favorites over the 4-loss Noles.

Jan. 2

Fiesta Bowl

Ohio St. 5.5 (55.5) Notre Dame

Sugar Bowl

Georgia 9 (45) West Virginia

Jan. 3 - Orange Bowl

Penn St. 8 (48) Florida St.

Jan. 4 - Rose Bowl

Southern Cal 6.5 (71) Texas

• 4 weeks later...
Is it me or was the Nole band just playing the battle theme from Monty Python and the Holy Grail ???    B-)

551565[/snapback]

Do you mean...

Brave Sir Robin

Bravely bold Sir Robin rode forth from Camelot.

He was not afraid to die,

O brave Sir Robin.

He was not at all afraid to be killed in nasty ways,

Brave, brave, brave, brave Sir Robin!

He was not in the least bit scared to be mashed into a pulp,

Or to have his eyes gouged out and his elbows broken,

To have his kneecaps split and his body burned away

And his limbs all hacked and mangled, brave Sir Robin!

His head smashed in and his heart cut out

And his liver removed and his bowels unplugged

And his nostrils raped and his bottom burned off

And his pen--

Do you mean...

Brave Sir Robin

Bravely bold Sir Robin rode forth from Camelot.

He was not afraid to die,

O brave Sir Robin.

He was not at all afraid to be killed in nasty ways,

Brave, brave, brave, brave Sir Robin!

He was not in the least bit scared to be mashed into a pulp,

Or to have his eyes gouged out and his elbows broken,

To have his kneecaps split and his body burned away

And his limbs all hacked and mangled, brave Sir Robin!

His head smashed in and his heart cut out

And his liver removed and his bowels unplugged

And his nostrils raped and his bottom burned off

And his pen--

551574[/snapback]

B-)

Well that one is a classic, but they were playing the diddy that you hear when King Aurther & Co are galloping across the countryside on the way to the castle Arrrrrggggghh.

helluva game.  both teams came to play

somewhat fitting that a game between a 76 and 79 year old coach would go into triple overtime.

552052[/snapback]

I don't think it was a very good game at all. Triple OT does not automaticallly equal a good game. Both teams were impotent on offense, but the speed of the defenses had a lot to do with that.

However, both teams did everything they could to lose the game. Penn State could have locked up the win early and fumbled on the 5-yard line. Both kickers missed a boatload of easy kicks. Five points and nine 3-and-outs in the second half was a joke.

Robinson impressed me with his ability to take a hit, but not much else. Weatherford sucks.

I don't think it was a very good game at all.  Triple OT does not automaticallly equal a good game.  Both teams were impotent on offense, but the speed of the defenses had a lot to do with that. 

552273[/snapback]

Mistake and penalty free barn burners do not automatically equal a great game either.

I thought both teams played and fought hard, whether they reeled in a big fish on every play or not. Weatherford does suck however.

both teams came to play

552052[/snapback]

Not true, if Penn State came to play, it wouldn't have been that close. Penn State is a MUCH better team (evident that they are ranked 19 spots higher). They got lucky that they won that one.

Florida State did play above themselves, I'll give that that much credit. But Penn State also played below themselves.

That was a pretty damn good game. Too bad both kickers took it in their own hands to make a mockery of the game and OT. Here are some priceless postgame comments.

Bobby: "I knew that once it went to OT then either team could win, based on the way the first half went. We had a good chance to win and so did they" :pirate:

JoePa: "That was a long game. I looked at my watch and it was 12:30, and then 12:45, and i kept thinking 'usually i've been asleep for 3 hours by now' " :ph34r:

I don't think it was a very good game at all.  Triple OT does not automaticallly equal a good game.  Both teams were impotent on offense, but the speed of the defenses had a lot to do with that. 

However, both teams did everything they could to lose the game.  Penn State could have locked up the win early and fumbled on the 5-yard line.  Both kickers missed a boatload of easy kicks.  Five points and nine 3-and-outs in the second half was a joke.

Robinson impressed me with his ability to take a hit, but not much else.  Weatherford sucks.

552273[/snapback]

As a former college LB, I happen to love watching good defensive football, which last night's game was. The way Mickey Andrews was able to turn on the heat and keep Michael Robinson bottled up for most of the game was impressive, even more so when you consider that Penn State under JoePa is notorious for making excellent halftime adjustments. Nothing they came up w/ could stop that pressure. It was very impressive.

Conversely, Tom Bradley's D forced Weatherford out of his comfort spots also, and the corners were just amazing, locking up FSU's outside receivers. The DL played well when they needed to, esepcially tackles Jay Alford and Scott Paxson. Tamba Hali was able to make his presence known a bit also, but not until later, when he had worn down FSU's offensive tackle David Overmeyer, who was holding (sometimes literally) his own until the end of the game.

As a former college LB, I happen to love watching good defensive football, which last night's game was.  The way Mickey Andrews was able to turn on the heat and keep Michael Robinson bottled up for most of the game was impressive, even more so when you consider that Penn State under JoePa is notorious for making excellent halftime adjustments.  Nothing they came up w/ could stop that pressure.  It was very impressive. 

Conversely, Tom Bradley's D forced Weatherford out of his comfort spots also, and the corners were just amazing, locking up FSU's outside receivers.  The DL played well when they needed to, esepcially tackles Jay Alford and Scott Paxson.  Tamba Hali was able to make his presence known a bit also, but not until later, when he had worn down FSU's offensive tackle David Overmeyer, who was holding (sometimes literally) his own until the end of the game.

552981[/snapback]

I'm with yah Rich, I like a solid 17-16 game also. But nine 3-and-outs in the second half alone (including seven in a row)??? [NOTE: One of those was a 4-and-out for FSU]. That is not a defensive struggle, that is an offensive struggle. I enjoy watching dominating defenses, but fumbles, missed kicks, and penalties made it easy for the respective D's. Most Division 1 teams can prevent a first down when you are consistently 1st and 20.

BTW, I forget his name, but #1 for PSU (Anwar or something) was solid all night. I think he gave up that jump ball to the 2-yard line in the second OT, but other than that he was smothering his coverage assignment.

I'm with yah Rich, I like a solid 17-16 game also.  But nine 3-and-outs in the second half alone (including seven in a row)???  [NOTE: One of those was a 4-and-out for FSU].  That is not a defensive struggle, that is an offensive struggle.  I enjoy watching dominating defenses, but fumbles, missed kicks, and penalties made it easy for the respective D's.  Most Division 1 teams can prevent a first down when you are consistently 1st and 20. 

553301[/snapback]

We just see things a bit different, that's all. A lot of the mishaps you mentioned (penalties, fumbles) were forced by the defenses. That's what I love to watch. The game was basically a chess match between Mickey Andrews and Tom Bradley. Thanks to a few standout plays by Michael Robinson (the TD pass @ the end of the 1st half and his determined short run to pick up a first down in the 2nd half, among others), Tom Bradley came out on the winning end of that match.

BTW, I forget his name, but #1 for PSU (Anwar or something) was solid all night.  I think he gave up that jump ball to the 2-yard line in the second OT, but other than that he was smothering his coverage assignment.

553301[/snapback]

That's Anwar Phillips, and he's very tough. He and Alan Zemaitis, the opposite corner, played excellent all night. They both will be drafted in April, I'm sure. I personally wouldn't mind seeing the Bills go after Zemaitis.

As a former college LB, I happen to love watching good defensive football

Then you must have loved PSU in the 3rdqrtr. Time after time after time FSU got dynamite field position and the Nit defense just put on a clinic. Not giving up a single first down in that tough stretch was impressive and one of the deciding factors in that game.

Cya

Then you must have loved PSU in the 3rdqrtr. Time after time after time FSU got dynamite field position and the Nit defense just put on a clinic. Not giving up a single first down in that tough stretch was impressive and one of the deciding factors in that game.

Cya

554457[/snapback]

That was among the greatest football games I've ever watched at any level. It was so hard hitting, it was a miracle there weren't more kids knocked out. They left it all out on the field.

Kudos to both teams

That was among the greatest football games I've ever watched at any level. It was so hard hitting, it was a miracle there weren't more kids knocked out. They left it all out on the field.

Kudos to both teams

554900[/snapback]

That play in the 4th qrtr where Robinson's helmet got kocked off gave me the willies.

He damned near got his brains scrambled as bad as any ballplayer ever has.

We just see things a bit different, that's all.  A lot of the mishaps you mentioned (penalties, fumbles) were forced by the defenses.  That's what I love to watch.  The game was basically a chess match between Mickey Andrews and Tom Bradley.  Thanks to a few standout plays by Michael Robinson (the TD pass @ the end of the 1st half and his determined short run to pick up a first down in the 2nd half, among others), Tom Bradley came out on the winning end of that match.

That's Anwar Phillips, and he's very tough.  He and Alan Zemaitis, the opposite corner, played excellent all night.  They both will be drafted in April, I'm sure.  I personally wouldn't mind seeing the Bills go after Zemaitis.

553560[/snapback]

yeah, especially since Zemaitis is a local boy..

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.